what did you start them off with

semiautolee

Just started my 8 year (now 9) old with a W&S .410 junior this year.

I started when I was about 6 or 7, my father was in the job and I used to go with him to a police range and fire .22 revolvers and .22 rifles. We got an air rifle and we spent many a day plinking in the garden with it.

My son, now 10 started with one of my air rifles target shooting at a range, when he too was about 6 and loved it.

He was not too keen on the 12g to start :o he didnt like all the noise, but once he has put some lead out across the fields ( with the pair of us kind of holding the gun at the same time ) he loved it, he can't get enough of it :D:):good:

Once funds allow, I will invest in a .410 or 20g for him, I obviously wont use it when he isn't around, nudge nudge wink wink. ;)

It is nice to see that despite all the press around with recent events surrounding Raoul, Bird and in my day Ryan and the school shootings ( name slips my memory ) :/ that people like us are keeping the sport alive, by introducing our children to it. :good:

It has been frowned upon for many years now, due to people like those mentioned above. :angry:

I also think that with the advent of video games and movies being as violent as they are today, that our children have no comprehension of the dangers and damage that can come from guns, my son got the message loud and clear when I first took him out with a 12g, I placed an apple at about 30 yards and let fly, **** law only a couple of shot hit it, so not much of a demonstration. :lol: Next came the full choke a bottle of water and 40 paces. Lets just say he has total respect for guns now. He did say that the air rifle wont kill me though will it, so out came a telephone book and he shot it, I then got him to stab the book with all his might with a thin screwdriver. He got the messge loud and clear on that front too.

I think we are all doing a great job and should be applauded for introducing the next generation to the sport. :yahoo:

Schmoo.

my son who is now 8 started at about 5 with a brake barrel air rifle at targets then when he was wise enough to realise what damage a . . real . . Gun can do i got him a 20g cooey and shortened the stock and barrel but to be honest its still i bit too heavey for him so i am lookin for a 410 . But i also agree with what was said about let them see what else is involved ie sittin quiet and fetching the birds and deeks etc :good:

Edited by mad1

My son is 6 and he had his first go with my PCP at some targets a year ago.

There is a big difference between letting a 5 year old squeeze off a few shots from a fixed firing point and letting him wander around with it by your side.

plinking targets is a great way to start.

I started with the .22lr but probably started shooting a shotgun first

likewise with the 410.

I started shooting clays at around 8 or 9 with a single barrel 410.

moved onto a 20 bore aged 12 or so and stuck with that until I was 29!

assisted and supervised in safe environment very little can go wrong.

they will learn the basics of gun safety, the damage they can do (this was demonstrated very graphically when my uncle deliberately shot his 12 bore into a pond!)

If the grounding of safe use is drilled into them at an early age then choice of gun comes down to ability to use it safely (i.e lift it!) and circumstances.

I'm with S S,5 is simply too small/young.

About 8 fro my boys an HW25 break air rifle,strict supervision,safety ingraining etc.Shotguns at @ 10 at clay grounds with 28gauge.

I think pushing him at 5 will backfire(excuse pun)..mine were simply not able to take onboard the sensible attitude or indeed the physical capability at 5.

ATB,be patient they'll be 8 in no time!

The age your children start shooting is down to many factors frame and build,interest,maturity length of interest,discipline,build up the interest my eldest not interested my youngest beating at 6 air rifle at 7 gun club and 28g at 9 20g at 10 but he is well drilled in every sport he does and is keen,he is always wanting to get my semi out of the cabinet now and he is 11 ,he is just ikeen and as he has built up slowly he is a good shot and has never been put off,I along with many feel gun class room lessons are a great grounding safety respect and competition ,explain demonstrate imitate and test then the weapon handling starts proper gun mount and firing position,the last thing you want to do is put the youth off because they get injured

iv decided guys just to take him out with me....sitting in the hide, picking up, learning him along the way and do as terry said get a practice gun for him to learn on and wait till he is older before getting him a real gun.

it is going to be the easiest option me thinks :yes:

thanks for the replys it has helped put my mind to rest :yes::good:

Semiautolee

I think that you've made a good plan to take him out with you to learn the how's & why's.

We all develop at different rates and shooting requires an element of maturity in order to act safely and a element of brawn to be able to lift & use a gun and cope with recoul when it is fired. 5 or 8 or 10 or 15 is irrelevant, he's ready when he can display the maturity required and you are best placed to make that call- trust your instincts as to when he is ready !

The idea's relating to the toy SBS cap gun is no bad thing when he's ready to learn gun safety.

Another idea for an early "transition" shooting experience not listed by others -thats been made for years and still produced - a Barnet Bandit Crosbow - these are suprisingly accurate for a "toy" dart flinging device.( mine was accurate to the point where I used it for hunting flies on my bedroom window when I was a kid )

good luck

Edited by Canis