Red Kite

bigrob

Driving to work this morning from Ashleworth to Gloucester - just got to the entrance to Hartpury College when I saw a large bird being pestered by some crows - from a distance it looked a bit like a heron - got a bit closer and saw it was a very large Red Kite - great to see they are making a comeback. ;)

Driving to work this morning from Ashleworth to Gloucester - just got to the entrance to Hartpury College when I saw a large bird being pestered by some crows - from a distance it looked a bit like a heron - got a bit closer and saw it was a very large Red Kite - great to see they are making a comeback. ;)

What? Crows? :lol:

Red Kites are as common as crows around here. :good:

Likewise in the Chilterns

So glad they are populating around the UK :good:

Also the Chilterns are getting more and more Buzzards.... Have they been introduced or just populating naturally ?

Wheres Bomber County ?

Great to see Buzzards resident above my pens, delightful. Oh and my sister gleefully told me she had seen Red Kites 10 miles away. Trouble with the Kites, they seem to stick togher in a family group once they start to breed and you end up with a carniverous hoover over your shoot!

good thing about kites is they only eat carrion :good:

Just an expensive coloured crow.Under the disguise of "look at us aint we good" bird watchers who would be more advised to use their efforts to save the song birds instead of trying to be cool in the twitcher world(Raptor group!)!!!

The kite is of NO practical use in the countryside if they have to use artificial feeding stations for them.

A waste of time and damn good money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Just an expensive coloured crow.Under the disguise of "look at us aint we good" bird watchers who would be more advised to use their efforts to save the song birds instead of trying to be cool in the twitcher world(Raptor group!)!!!

The kite is of NO practical use in the countryside if they have to use artificial feeding stations for them.

A waste of time and damn good money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Kites are an indigenous species that have been in England before Aberdeen was populated by the Scots. They were one of the commonest birds in Medievel England.

Read this... http://www.birdsofbritain.co.uk/features/red-kite2.asp

you might learn something to change your obviously blinkered view of Birdwatchers. :yes:;)

Edited by Fisherman Mike

I see quite a lot of them around at the moment. I have seen them from gloucester all the way down the a419 to the M4.

Nick

I live in Didcot, Oxfordshire and I kid you not, I see anywhere from 10-20 of these lovely birds each day. Regularly have them flying over the garden.

The in-laws even feed them on cheap steak, they are quite happy to land in their garden for a free meal.

Kites are an indigenous species that have been in England before Aberdeen was populated by the Scots. They were one of the commonest birds in Medievel England.

Read this... http://www.birdsofbritain.co.uk/features/red-kite2.asp

you might learn something to change your obviously blinkered view of Birdwatchers. :yes:;)

I can assure you that my observations of the "bird watchers" is from practical experience and is not blinkered by any ulterior motives!

The group I mentioned are the "cool brigade" and so far up their own A**** its pitiful.

The last one I spoke to about bird watchers said in a condesending voice "I,m not a bird watcher !I,m in the raptor group!)as if he was above being a common or garden birdwatcher?

indigenous species !The only reason the kite gets the treatment over any other long gone better deserving species,is the PR value! OH! what a pretty bird!

Give us your money is what the kite is all about !So that arguement is a croc of KITE!

Lastly, I take it as you never mentioned the song bird plight ,that your not as keen to see them back? Or maybe that just slipped your mind because the birdy boys are not pushing it quite so hard as the kite.(Not enough PR value in a Sparrow!)

Kites are also very common around here (Northamptonshire),Fineshade woods which is only around 20 miles from where I live is one of the original Re-introduction sites, we regularly have kites flying over the garden, not belittling the OP as Im sure he is very pleased to see it but we rarely give them a second glance now.

Hi Bigrob,

My apologies if I have upset your post, and I agree with you .They are a very nice bird to look at.

My beef was with the people who re-introduced them and their attitude towards the rest of us

common people ?There is a lot going on behind the facade of Red Kites,and far to much to write here .It is another post all to itself.

Once again, My apologies for highjacking your post :good:

The RSPB declared a gross income of £122 million in the 2009/2010 year!

Fairly sure they could afford a few catridges to sort the problem out ?

That may not be PC these days!

But the bulk of the £122m income was from people who have no direct conflict with BOP,s anyway.So have no idea what the impact of these birds is.

Rest assured they will be putting on extra feeding area,s for the kites in that area

to combat the bad PR.Cant have the RSPB scaring kids now can we!

As usual it will be the lowest of the low in the birdy world that will have to do the extra hours to feed them(probably volunteers Who dont cost any dosh!)While the big boys sit back and give themselves another pat on the back.

Buzzards were a novelty once! NOW they are a pain in the ****.Red kites will go the same way if they are not carefull and they will end up shooting themselves in the foot with complaints instead of compliments.

:hmm: I wonder what the rest of the £122M was spent on?

Edited by nipper

But the bulk of the £122m income was from people who have no direct conflict with BOP,s anyway.So have no idea what the impact of these birds is.

Rest assured they will be putting on extra feeding area,s for the kites in that area

As usual it will be the lowest of the low in the birdy world that will have to do the extra hours to feed them(probably volunteers Who dont cost any dosh!)While the big boys sit back and give themselves another pat on the back.

Buzzards were a novelty once! NOW they are a pain in the ****.Red kites will go the same way if they are not carefull and they will end up shooting themselves in the foot with complaints instead of compliments.

You talk ****. Fact

Please Tell Us All Who Are On This Forum

Why Are Buzzards And Redkites 'A Pain In The Butt'

As Alot Of Us Here Cant See Why You Have A Problem ?????????

We Are Wanting To Know As You Havent Given Us All On Here A Reasonable Answer ???:hmm:

"The RSPB declared a gross income of £122 million in the 2009/2010 year!"....Fact!

"But the bulk of the £122m income was from people who have no direct conflict with BOP,s anyway.So have no idea what the impact of these birds is.".....Fact!

"Rest assured they will be putting on extra feeding area,s for the kites in that area

to combat the bad PR"... A reasonable assumption!

"As usual it will be the lowest of the low in the birdy world that will have to do the extra hours to feed them(probably volunteers Who dont cost any dosh!)"... A reasonable assumption considering they use a LOT of volunteers!

"Buzzards were a novelty once! NOW they are a pain in the ****.Red kites will go the same way if they are not carefull and they will end up shooting themselves in the foot with complaints instead of compliments."....If they encroach on Joe public and school children,there will be complaints!...Another reasonable assumption!

Not a great deal of **** in there?