Misserable neighbour!

Can i pick peoples brains for a second please?

Here is what's just happened.

Myself and my neighbour have just been zeroing in a couple of air rifles i own ready for the weekend shoot. We live in a semi rural area, spitting distance from the countryside.

Our houses are a row of sandstone terraced cottages, with 50m long gardens with an 8ft stone wall at the end. We set up a wheel barrow 35m from the house as a back stop, angled towards the groung with cardboard target under it and starting shooting. The echos were bouncing back to the houses an after about 20 shots each an old *** who i have never in 14years got on with starts shouing at us saying he's going to call the police as the pellets are riccochaying and gitting his house. He lives 5 houses up!! Obviously they weren't as it was the echo he could hear.

Anyway, if he does call them, can i be sure i am in the right and haven't done anything wrong?

Cheers in advance.

Pughy.

Not perhaps the wisest place to zero in your air rifles if the " echos were bouncing back to the houses ".

After " about 20 shots each " your neighbour may well have had something to complain about. :yes:

You have to appreciate that non shooters know nothing about safe back drops, pellets not leaving your garden, etc., all they hear is 40 odd gunshots.

If no pellets left your property you haven't broken any firearms laws but if it was that noisy, he might have grounds to complain about the noise nuisance.

Tbh, it wasn't even that loud. It's very quiet around here and the rifles are silenced too!

No knock on the door yet either. Lol

As long as your air rifles, whatever form they take, are under 12 ft lbs then yes, you are.

The best way to ensure no possible ricochets is to fire at a target contained within a 2mm steel 7 sided cube with sand in it.

Most police dont know the detail of ricochets, how they happen, how far they can go. The police may well visit , just to say they have been but will probably be unable to confirm your set up prevents all ricochets, even though it does.

I would contact the police, explain what you are doing and how careful you are being to avoid disturbance, any nuisance, and most certainly any ricochet. Tell them the old guy is still complaining and may well ring them but you are happy for the police to come and inspect. Depends how often you shoot in the garden - if its quite irregular, ignore the old guy and forget the police unless they call.

Take a few photos of the setup, if you take it down to confirm if asked, how you know there are unlikely to be any ricochets.

good luck

Well if everything is as you say, Ignore the miserable old ***. BUT make sure you keep your nose clean regards handling and safety, last thing you want is him running to the 5-0 with video evidence of you waving your rifle about. Not that you would, of course :)

As as already mentioned sand is the answer ,try making a backstop out of four paving slabs 3 stood upright to make two sides and a back and one on top for the lid fill the back up with plenty of sand and bobs your uncle safe quite backstop that will last forever.

I dont think you were particulary in the wrong as you seemed safe enough but if people are out in there gardens it can get quite annoying hearing dink dink dink every few seconds.

I don't think the issue is the grumpy neighbour. You're the one who can do without the hassle of the police regardless if you have broken the law or not.

As already mentioned make yourself some sort of sound deadening backstop which will not only keep grumps off your back but also avoid a freak ricochet and possibly hurt someone.

Edited by Cosd