fox shooting timer..

nppulse

has anyone used the method of tying a bit of string around (for example) the leg of a dead rabbit for bait, then tie the other end to the battery in a little alarm clock- but obvioulsy anchor the clock down somehow- so the theory is when mr fox comes and takes the bait, he pulls the battery out, thus stopping the clock so you can get a rough idea of what time he frequents that area?.... :lol:

if you have is it any good, or any extra tips?

cheers

my friend just ties the string around his two and then the other end to a rabbit(deceased) and then when the fox takes it he then shoots the fox from his window with his silenced .223. on his farmland of course.

one problem is it can be quite painfull when it pulls really hard.

cheers

flash

Yes the one I use is,I replace the clock with me and a gun :lol:

You will have a problem if the fox moves towards the clock and doesn`t pull the battery.Also what if your fox is a hedgehog/stoat/cat??

if the clock is anchored/ buried centrally, then it shouldnt matter what direction the string is pulled, the battery will still get pulled out. also if my fox is a hedgehog/ stoat/ cat, then when i get set up on the chosen night to shoot it, i will identify it not to be my intended quarry and dismiss it as such...

Edited by nppulse

Yes i have done it.

It gives you a rough estimate of the time that charlies about. i use a small alarm clock, obviously not using the alarm mode. I attached a line round the battery thread that through a tube secure the clock and the tube under a brick or simalar tie round your desired bait and go back 12-24 hrs after to see what time your bait was taken. :lol:

I does take a few days though to get an average time of the visits but there will be a pattern of roughly 1/2 hour of when you are getting visitors. :lol:

In the past i could have said within about 10 minutes when the visitors would arrive.

Dougy

• 4 weeks later...

i hear this works pretty well, remember reading in one of the shooting mags, they seemed to have gd results with it.

they were also saying you can do the same with deer, and set up a trip wire so when the deer passes through the certain gap in the hedge say, and it tells the exact time it crossed it, do this for a couple of days to get the average time of day it crosses

I use to know a fella, that had a teddy with bells on :blush: and was regularily getting foxes in his garden and having his prize hens taken.

So, he tied some fishing line to the teddy. He then opened a tin of sardines, but not fully, just open enough for the fox to get its tounge in.

He tied the line to the tin of sardines and then the teddy and took the teddy into the living room and watched TV.

When the fox came and started to lick the sardines, trying to get them out, the line got pulled and the teddy with the bells started jingleing.

Out with the shotty, BANG!!, fox problem solved. ;);)

If the fox did not come early in the evening, he took teddy, bells and all to the bedroom, so as not to miss it if the fox came in the night. :P

He shot 3 foxes in a week and the problem came to an end. :o

This was all done in the deepest of countryside by the way and not in a town. :):huh:

• 1 month later...

We use the same sort of the device to catch poachers. If we see fresh tire marks or foot prints on your where no one meant to be and they start becoming regular, we put a piece of string or fishing line across, tie it to the battery of clock, and next time they come, you can see what time they turned up. Then once you know what time they turn up, you can sit and wait.

Rob

My mate uses this trick with good sucsess.

He fastened a stake to the bottom of a kids plastic bucket and then drilled a hole through both.

The clock sits in the bucket and the string or line is passed through the hole and is tied around the

Rabbit ( the other end on the battery)

When Charlie takes the bait the battery is pulled out to give him an idea of what time he's around.

Dont quite know why a bucket but i suppose it keeps the clock dry?:no:?

He has accounted for quite a few with this method.

Cheers Sutty :good: