Are these any good

born_2_kill

Just to start I'm new to shooting after my Granddad left me his old T.Bland and son SxS from 1905 which I wanted to keep so I got myself a licence, after these I thought what the heck so I spent £200 on a Lincoln SxS ejector and now I have the shooting bug, I can barely put it down and every opportunity I get I go out in the fields etc.

Now I'm wanting something a little special for myself, I'm very much liking the SxS, maybe I should give them a better go but over and unders just don’t feel right, though I wish they did as they appear to be quite a bit cheaper.

As I'm just starting out I don’t want to spend my money on something that isn’t very highly regarded in the shooting world, which is where u guys come in.

I want to spend around £1k for now which would get you a nice "named" Over and under but is a bit harder in the sxs world. I’ve seen a Fabarm :

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/110527145357646

What can you tell me about them, I’m after something with nice engraving. Or can you suggest anything else.

I went to a clay pigeon shooting grounds yesterday and I didn’t see one person using a sxs, any reason for this? If the above is no good then perhaps I should give another style of gun a better go?

I don’t want to sound like a **** but you are what a gun dealer hopes walks through his door every day, and because your green your gonna get your pants pulled down, Okay you will walk out with a new gun and a big smile on your face but your pants will be down never the less.

Side by side guns, nothing wrong with them, they do handle differently than a over and under but still nothing wrong with them, but if I was you I would have a look into a couple of gun shops and see what they have in, try a few for fit, weight etc but don’t rush in.

Some shops will even let you try before you buy.

But as I say don’t rush in and by the first shinny gun that has engraving on it.

if I was you I would get a cheep one that has a few nocks on it as your fist, use it, strip the wood down stain it with Vandyke Crystals, oil it and love it, that way you get the use of the gun to see if you like using a side by side, and if you take your time restoring the wood, you could use the gun for a year or two and make your money back if not a bit more once you understand a bit more about guns.

But if your like me you'll have grown so attached to your first side by side, it’s the first one I grab from the safe when im going out.

Edited by v5uk

Just to start I'm new to shooting after my Granddad left me his old T.Bland and son SxS from 1905 which I wanted to keep so I got myself a licence, after these I thought what the heck so I spent £200 on a Lincoln SxS ejector and now I have the shooting bug, I can barely put it down and every opportunity I get I go out in the fields etc.

Now I'm wanting something a little special for myself, I'm very much liking the SxS, maybe I should give them a better go but over and unders just don’t feel right, though I wish they did as they appear to be quite a bit cheaper.

As I'm just starting out I don’t want to spend my money on something that isn’t very highly regarded in the shooting world, which is where u guys come in.

I want to spend around £1k for now which would get you a nice "named" Over and under but is a bit harder in the sxs world. I’ve seen a Fabarm :

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/110527145357646

What can you tell me about them, I’m after something with nice engraving. Or can you suggest anything else.

I went to a clay pigeon shooting grounds yesterday and I didn’t see one person using a sxs, any reason for this? If the above is no good then perhaps I should give another style of gun a better go?

Each gun is designed for a purpose, so you need to consider what type of shooting you would like to do

Traditionally all shotguns were side by side, now days they are mainly just used for shooting game, and the under over has taken it's place in a lot of shooting especially clay shooting where it has advantages with the single sighting and extra weight

Recoil will be far greater on a SxS than a U/O just due to the extra weight that the heavier gun absorbs

Nobody makes **** new guns they are all computer controlled manufactured and range from about £600 upwards, Beretta and Browning's make up most O/U guns but plenty of good guns from makes like Betinsolli, Lamber, Lincoln etc new in your price range

Each gun is designed for a purpose, so you need to consider what type of shooting you would like to do

Traditionally all shotguns were side by side, now days they are mainly just used for shooting game, and the under over has taken it's place in a lot of shooting especially clay shooting where it has advantages with the single sighting and extra weight

Recoil will be far greater on a SxS than a U/O just due to the extra weight that the heavier gun absorbs

Nobody makes **** new guns they are all computer controlled manufactured and range from about £600 upwards, Beretta and Browning's make up most O/U guns but plenty of good guns from makes like Betinsolli, Lamber, Lincoln etc new in your price range

So we're saying you cant go wrong with any new gun these days such as the Fabarm as long as it "fits" and is fit for purpose? Surely they're are higher regarded names such as Beretta and Brownings though?

The names mentioned above again are all big names which only pop up in O/U in my price range however?

Out in the fields, I too like a SBS. I like that my AYA no4 weighs only 6.5 lbs rather than the 7.5lbs of my Browning 525. On clays I like the Browning. I take the Browning out in the field when I lose confidence in the AYA though. I like the SBS in the hide as it is a lot easier to reload. I also like a semi auto in the hide for reloading ease - you can simply thumb the cartridges into the magazine.

You really should try some OU guns before you dismiss them. How much clay shooting will you be doing ? What will be your main type of shooting ?

As for the Fabarm, it looks like a nice gun at a fair price. Some will put it down because it is not traditional or English, some because it is CNC made not handmade, others will not like the fact that it has monobloc barrels. At the end of the day if it fits you and you like it and you shoot well & safely with it, then it's your choice. Beretta sbs' are a lot more money than that, and you could get an english BLE for about the same money. However, there's a lot to be said for a newer more modern gun in reliability stakes, in my view.

Wabbitbosher on here is an authority on side-by-sides.... perhaps he will be along in a minute !

If you are going to spend around the £1k mark i would have a look at the AYA no2, based on a holland and holland readily available and look pretty smart. for that sort of money any proper english will be a bit rough or a very basic spec gun.

Edited by steveb

If you are going to spend around the £1k mark i would have a look at the AYA no2, based on a holland and holland readily available and look pretty smart. for that sort of money any proper english will be a bit rough or a very basic speck gun.

I would second this I think a AYA would be a good investment as they will hold value better than the fabarm,also the AYA 25 is a very nice gun which you could just get in your budget have another look on gun trader as there is one on there and if you are looking for nice engraving it is ideal having said that your better to have something plain that fits as graving alone will not kill anything !!!

mmmm nice point on the Aya #2 and 25, they look nice, also the XXV catches my eye how are these regarded? but surely there wont be a lot of difference between them and my Lincoln SxS ejector? Maybe they are built a bit better?

Going to try some O/U and AYA's at the weekend and will report back then, for the time being thankx for all your help :-)

Edited by born_2_kill

O.k so I went and tired a few O/U bettinsoli and silver pigeon (the nicest out of the pair) While I dont dislike them as much as my first go I dont think I can go U/O, SXS just feel better and are easier to bring up.

So Ive included a new gun in my final few, does anyone have any opions/views on these

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/110413211006001

Ive done a bit of reading and see they are built in the same factory as Brownings, surely this cant be a bad thing.

The List now is:

Miroku

Aya 25/XXV

Fabarm Beta Lux

Bereta (however the condition and age for my budget is not so good).