Pest Control

henry_o

Hi folks,

My uncle's work clients wanted some pest control doing today as his garden which backs on to a golf course is overun with rabbits. I turned up thinking he had a couple of rabbits digging the lawn up but saw well over 20 altogether. The location meant I could only use the airrifle, but got eleven rabbits for eleven shots. This took about an hour and a half. I'm happy to do this kind of thing for free but what do people charge for an hours pest control?

Cheers

Henry

I love doing any kind of shooting so wouldn't charge, I just love having the permission! I'm just curious as to how much people do charge. Some people who do it full time wouldn't have the choice but to charge people so what wold they be making for a day of rabbiting? I know so many people that would love to do it at their own expense like you said. I take friends out to opportunities like this and have introduced them to shooting. The more people the better! Just got to make sure they're safe, especially around houses and golf courses!

Henry

I didn't realise people paid that much! It's a bit depressing when some people can't even do it for free... Yea I'd be happy to do it for free for as many people as possible if i had time to. I view it as the landowner doing a goodwill gesture for me by offering the chance to shoot there. It is interesting to know what people do charge though. The only problem with these sort of permissions is not having anything left to shoot if you're too good at your job as the landowner needs to see results. If you've been 5 times and the garden is still getting destroyed they'll probably ask someone else!

As far a si know pro pesties are more than often using traps poisons etc and not much shooting, you should mention to the golf course or get the house owner too as they will probably have as big a problem if not bigger! There are some pro pesties on here who will tell you more but making a hobby a career isnt always a great move!

a couple of years ago the rat people we have in work turned up to top up the bait boxes etc there was a feral pigeon in the warehouse flying around the warehouse manager asked him to pop it off with an air rifle.

couldnt believe it when the bill came in there was a breakdown of costs with it just for popping off the pigeon it cost £70 and took about 5 seconds

i was asked by the pest controller who comes to my work,can i shoot some ferals in a waste recycling warehouse,i said yeah no problem,the guy asked me how much,he laughed when i said i didnt want paying,he then asked how long id spend down there,i told him 3 hours for 3 days,so he said meet me outside the place so he could introduce me to the boss of the place,when i met up with him before going in,he handed me 200 quid,which he billed them for,they were quite happy with that,especially when i fiiled 7 bin bags with the ferals,who am i to knock that back... :good:

DAZ

It really is surprising how much some professional pest control companies and operatives charge when you think about it. I used to do a bit for the NBC when I had my Harris Hawk and was paid £10.00 per hour for flying her just to scare off pigeons - I would have done it for free as I loved watching her work but what the heck, in that sort of situation why not make a bit of money doing something to love doing!

Having said that I still stand by what I put in my earlier post - Unless you intend to make a full time business out of it why not just offer your (Occasional)shooting services to friends free of charge and help to promote the sport.

I do all my pest control for free,I do get the the odd leg of lamb bit of tobacco,tank of diesel etc as thanks but once you get a good reputation for being trustworthy is surprising how much shooting land you get,I now have a permission to shoot deer on you don't get many of them for free.

I do all my pest control for free,I do get the the odd leg of lamb bit of tobacco,tank of diesel etc as thanks but once you get a good reputation for being trustworthy is surprising how much shooting land you get,I now have a permission to shoot deer on you don't get many of them for free.

Good attitude, don't you just hate it though when you do a landowner a big favour on crows, foxes whatever and find out thet rent out or sold the shooting rights to some wealthy gent from town afterwards. :rolleyes: