LOP

Without going to have a fitting how do you measure your optimum LOP?

That's it!

post-12981-0-67414700-1309474311.jpg

To determine the LOP that is right for you, bend your arm and place the end of a yardstick in the bend of your elbow of your trigger finger side arm. Measure from the bend of the elbow to the first joint of your trigger finger. Presto that's your LOP

So when you measure your length of pull, meaure with the clothing on that you intend to wear hunting. Then you can have your gunsmith cut the stock, if needed

Edited by Luckyshot

Two entirely different answers and they both can't be right, so which is?

Your length of pull is decided after you've been fitted for a gun (back in the day this was so the stocker knew what measurements to use when making the stock) and not before.

Luckyshot makes a good point about clothing, wear mid weight (spring/autumn) dress when doing the job and I bet his shirts fit a treat.

Welshwarrior has the correct "rule of thumb (no pun intended)" answer if you're on a do it yourself basis.

Without going to have a fitting how do you measure your optimum LOP?

That's it!

When you used my gun you had trigger freeze a couple of times and I suggested you'd need a longer than average LOP on your gun. Ask the question when you have your next lesson - your coach will be able to help you out in a more real world way.

remember chaps there are two suplementary length of pull (LOP) measurements- in addition to the measurement shown above - theres length to toe and length to heel both measured to the from trigger to heel and toe of the stock. while less critical than lop in getting a stock to acheive a "basic" fit they both have a part to play in acheiving "perfect" gun fit.

When you mount the gun for general use you should be able to get 2-3 fingers between the tip of your nose and the back of your right thumb. Or 3-4 fingers for trap shooting.

A shade long thats a little old school now most top shooters are a lot closer to their thumb

A shade long thats a little old school now most top shooters are a lot closer to their thumb

Yes I shoot 1-2 but keep getting told it's to short but I hit the birds and don't catch the heel when mounting the gun. We'll see what you say when I get chance to come down to you to fit my O/U :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by welshwarrior