Best caliber for small deer?

Hunter Gatherer

Guest john5
What do you think is the best allround caliber for the mainlands smaller deer species?

Keeping in mind that the round must exeed 1,700 Ft/Lb's with 100 grain bullets and being of at least .240" diameter?

possably 243 win?

Cheers

HG

:thumbs:

.243 is the most universaliy accepted caliber, in that you can scale down for foxes , and go up for deer,. lots of different loading data for that caliber as well ,.

in england there is a minimum ftlb you can use on deer, i believe its 1700ftlb (dont quote me on that) and i seem to recall a conversation with someone who'm said that some of bench rest type rounds (6mm br/ppc) can struggle to meet this.

im just having a look to see what combination of projectile weight and velocity is required.

okay using a 70grain projectile and doing 3250 fps (the max speed nosler could get from their loads) the 6mm ppc is doing 1642 ft/lb so not legal for deer (in england). Nosler dont list a heavier bullet, i will just have a look at some other guides to see what weight you can use in the ppc.

Edited by dunganick

it says 'or' in context of prohibitory factors, so it is prohibited if it is smaller than .240 'or' has less than 1700 ftlb

taken from the MET police website

Deer stalking takes place in many parts of England, Wales and Scotland, however it should be noted that Scottish law is different in certain respects of this activity.

In England and Wales rifles must be at least .240 inches in calibre. The bullet must be expanding/hollow nosed with a muzzle energy of at least 1,700 ft/lbs.

In Scotland, for Roe deer rifles must be at least .222 inches in calibre. The bullet must be expanding/hollow nosed with a muzzle energy of at least 1,000 ft/lbs and a muzzle velocity of at least 2,450 ft/sec.

For other species of deer the rifle must be at least .243 inches in calibre. The bullet must be expanding/hollow nosed with a muzzle energy of at least 1,750 ft/lbs and a muzzle velocity of at least 2,450 ft/sec.

i will agree to disagree with you dunganick

our constabulary sees it diffrently to the met

I have a .243 for deer and foxes. ???

Nick has got it spot on. ;)

It has to be both .24 or greater and have the required muzzle energy. ???

If your Police/FLO think otherwise they need a bit more training. :*)

i will agree to disagree with you dunganick

our constabulary sees it diffrently to the met

Chances are though that you might not be shooting them in either yours or the Met areas. So then it would be down to a third interpretation.

Go by the letter of the law and the police can argue it in court 'til the cows come home and still lose.

Dave

HG, I have been seeking advice for a similar situation i.e. fallow, roe and muntjac in our area (worcs) and had some interesting, if dissimilar, advice. BASC deer man (Mr McCormick?) said .308 win. DMQ deer services said .270. Yet most of the professional stalkers around here have advised me .243 are the best, using lighter rounds for foxes and heavier (100 grain or more) for deer. That is what will go on my FAC when I hvae done my DSC1. Interestingly most of the estate stalkers I have met use the CZ/Brno and Schmidt Bender 6x42 scopes. The police (west mercia) seem to have no objections to .243 for foxes, but they are not so keen on .270 or larger. Best of luck, flytie.

Thanks for all the info guys ;) , i found your veiws quite interesting so i opened another topic for the larger deer species!

Best cartrige for large deer?

No doubt there will be more variation in the opinions with their being such a wide specrum of cartriges available for larger animals.

Cheers

HG

???

Edited by Hunter Gatherer