Fox calibre allowed but not allowed for fox

Just got off the phone to Cumbria Firearms to find out if a couple of new permissions have been cleared. First one no problem its only 9 acres but cleared for .22lr,.17hmr & 22-250. The problem arose with the second one which is 200 acres, they said it was checked in 2003 and is not suitable for centrefires due to most of the fields being individual seperate fields and not many good backstops which I totally agree with, they then said it is suitable for rimfire use both .22lr & .17hmr for small vermin the land is not suitable for Fox??? Before anyone jumps I have my .17HMR conditioned for fox, I cannot understand why if the land is suitable to use the .17HMR on small vermin would it not be suitable to shoot foxes as surely a larger target means less chance of ricochet??? I can only think this is due to the land being checked in 2003 and I don't personally know how the HMR has been in use.

I wasn't aware it is up to the police to tell you what quarry you can shoot where. Surely if they have passed the land for .17HMR and you have fox on your .17 on your conditions then they cannot stop you.

Besides you don't have to tell them what you shoot and where do you?

Just got off the phone to Cumbria Firearms to find out if a couple of new permissions have been cleared. First one no problem its only 9 acres but cleared for .22lr,.17hmr & 22-250. The problem arose with the second one which is 200 acres, they said it was checked in 2003 and is not suitable for centrefires due to most of the fields being individual seperate fields and not many good backstops which I totally agree with, they then said it is suitable for rimfire use both .22lr & .17hmr for small vermin the land is not suitable for Fox??? Before anyone jumps I have my .17HMR conditioned for fox, I cannot understand why if the land is suitable to use the .17HMR on small vermin would it not be suitable to shoot foxes as surely a larger target means less chance of ricochet??? I can only think this is due to the land being checked in 2003 and I don't personally know how the HMR has been in use.

Ok so what about high seats? i have seen land as flat as a pancake cleared like this. It is starting to annoy me that they say there are not many good backstops but its ok to use rimfires. I had a permision i personally deemed unsafe for all but the FAC air or shotgun last year, yet i could have shot it very safely with high seats either fixed or stand alone portable types.

I don't get the point you personally made about larger target giving less chance of ricochet (quarry cant be considered backstops) and totally cant get why firearms say you cant shoot foxes there if its conditioned on a certain calibre of gun you hold already- yet you might use that gun for other things there. Good grief set things out clearly and send a sighned for letter to the chief constable asking for logical explaination if you get no joy from firearms perhaps?

This whole FEO thing is mental, so few of them know what the heck they are talking about, a total mockery. Its like breeding blind guide dogs employing some of them :rolleyes:

Edited by kent

Hi

I'm an RFD and i can tell you now that if you have 17 hmr and fox on your license with said caliber then you can shoot fox on any land that you have permission to shoot fox on and it is passed for that caliber.

The person has got it around there neck so don't worry just go and shoot it you are not braking any law.

Just to keep the job right i would make sure you have a singed permission slip from the farm in question on you and you are covered. i would not give it another thought m8

ATB

Colin

Yep Firearms dept has my signed permission slip,and my cert is definatley conditioned for fox with my HMR. I can only think that the notes on the land check were done in 2003 when .17hmr were not in abundance therefore rimfire probably wasn't a suitable calibre for fox at that time. As for Kents comment about the high seat to be honest I'm happy enough just using the HMR on this farm.

As plenty of others have said before me, if the land is cleared for HMR and you have Fox as a species on your quarry list for that calibre then just carry on. There's either been a misunderstanding or your FEO is a monkey and can safely be ignored. :yes:

Edited by njc110381