.22lr Standard Velocity

Anyone use these on rabbits? - I recently bought SV CCI [1070fps - so still subsonic] and have to say they seem to cycle well in my CZ and are both accurate and hard very hitting. They are also very cheap at £6 per 100 [i pay £5 per 50 for subs] Only difference is the lead head is round, not hollow. Given their price and performance I'm not sure why I need stick with subs. I know some will question the expansion of the round given its solid head - not sure if this is a major issue as I have used some hollow points that go right through rabbits.

Sounds like a target round if its a solid slug.

Not really suitable for hnting, and i would have thought it would be VERY prone to richochet.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=5&loadNo=0032

If this is the stuff as it would appear, its classified as target ammunition.

I would suguse gest you a expanding round when hunting.

Edited by Beretta28g

I haven't had much luck with subs - Eley are very tight to bolt and Winchester [which cycle well] do not extract well after firing [case sticks - probably due to wax] - I have used remmie subs and find they cycle well and are very accurate, but they are hard to get in my area. The CCI Standard Velocity are easy to get locally.

Well i dont have a problem with people using standard velocity, i think they've a screw loose because you would loose one of the .22lr greatest attributes its quietness.

However, if you are going to use them as a huning round you will need a expanding round with a hollowpoint. They do make them in standard velocity i think.

A non hollow point still expands in a 22LR. Because it is a solid lead slug, it will still mushroom, albeit a little less than a big HP. There are plenty of hunting solid point 22LR bullets made, though I don't know what is available here. Round nose bullets are just fine for the likes of rabbits. I've shot plenty of them into squirrels and rabbits.

The only thing to consider with the standard velocity rounds is that when the temp goes down the speed of sound goes down and some will start to 'crack'.

Thanks,

rick

what i find using solids is that unless you hit the rabbit in the head there is a good chance the hit rabbit will run before he drops, i have seen them run 3 or 4 hundred yards. when trying to collect tails its a real pain in the backside!!!!!!!!

Not totally sure quite what the op is asking here. Standard velocity as I see it is the same as subsonic? Both hollow point and round nose bullets are available in subsonic and high velocity. I always use subs because I find them more accurate and very quiet to shoot. When out shooting vermin I always use hollow points.

Anyone use these on rabbits? - I recently bought SV CCI [1070fps - so still subsonic] and have to say they seem to cycle well in my CZ and are both accurate and hard very hitting. They are also very cheap at £6 per 100 [i pay £5 per 50 for subs] Only difference is the lead head is round, not hollow. Given their price and performance I'm not sure why I need stick with subs. I know some will question the expansion of the round given its solid head - not sure if this is a major issue as I have used some hollow points that go right through rabbits.

The speed of sound will vary with altitude, temperature etc but the reality is your standard velocity is a sub sonic round.

An equivalent 40g HP will be harder hitting.

If you are accurate enough with the shot placement with whatever round of .22lr it will do the job!

There is no law requiring any specific round on quarry for the .22lr, many find Solid effective whilst probably a few more find HP their choice. :good:

The speed of sound will vary with altitude, temperature etc but the reality is your standard velocity is a sub sonic round.

An equivalent 40g HP will be harder hitting.

If you are accurate enough with the shot placement with whatever round of .22lr it will do the job!

There is no law requiring any specific round on quarry for the .22lr, many find Solid effective whilst probably a few more find HP their choice. :good:

Eeh! by gum When I were a lad we always used solids, don't think I would now out of choice. The only thing is that because 10/22 target shooters burn up so much ammo the brands they use, like CCI solids, are cheaper generally.

Mind you, if you are worried about the cost of .22 ammo give up now. I do think though that dealers charge more for HP when there is no logical reason why it should be dearer than the same round in solid.

I am merely wondering why not just use standard velocity rounds [still subsonic at 1070fps]for rabbits as they are much cheaper than HP subsonics? - the lead head, although solid round, will still expand to some extent and they are very accurate.

I get sub-sonic CCI HP cheaper than the round nose target stuff?

Edited by Oxon88

Eeh! by gum When I were a lad we always used solids, don't think I would now out of choice. The only thing is that because 10/22 target shooters burn up so much ammo the brands they use, like CCI solids, are cheaper generally.

Mind you, if you are worried about the cost of .22 ammo give up now. I do think though that dealers charge more for HP when there is no logical reason why it should be dearer than the same round in solid.

:hmm::yes::hmm::yes::hmm:

It was along time back when I was a lad and I certainly used solids way back then too, to be honest I seem to remember the choice, availability and getting the HP on your ticket was a lot harder then anyway, a bit like getting a moderator, a Sharp intake of breath usually followed that request! Then again, perhaps I'm just getting old and the memory is going! :good::good: