EU stops Defender production.

crosshair

My cousins husband works for Jaguar-Land Rover and he says that the ALL NEW Defender is looking very nice and it still holds true to the idea of a Defender. The whole Land Rover range is being redone starting with the release of the Evoke and the Range Rover sport and the new Discovery Defender and an all new Range Rover Vogue which will be basically a Bentley 4x4 designed for the Middle East Shakes and Oil Princes.

When he comes over next ill press him for more info.

I might be way off target here but I reckon the new Range Rover Evoke is simply a replacement for the Freelander that has such a poor reputation for reliability they are rebranding it as a Range Rover to try and shake off the bad reputation. This type of thing has been done ad infinitum in the past and usually results in the prestige brand losing its prestige status rather than the rebranded car gaining prestige. Here I'm talking of the 'Rover' 100 aka Austin Metro, 'Jaguar' XKR aka Ford Mondeo amongst others.

'Jaguar' XKR aka Ford Mondeo amongst others.

I think you are confusing the XKR! with the X-type and platform sharing works well for VW group anyone referred to an Audi TT as a Golf ? or the SEAT/Skoda that shares the same platform?

I might be way off target here but I reckon the new Range Rover Evoke is simply a replacement for the Freelander that has such a poor reputation for reliability they are rebranding it as a Range Rover to try and shake off the bad reputation. This type of thing has been done ad infinitum in the past and usually results in the prestige brand losing its prestige status rather than the rebranded car gaining prestige. Here I'm talking of the 'Rover' 100 aka Austin Metro, 'Jaguar' XKR aka Ford Mondeo amongst others.

Its not a freelander is a land rover the evoke is a range rover?!?

I think you are confusing the XKR! with the X-type and platform sharing works well for VW group anyone referred to an Audi TT as a Golf ? or the SEAT/Skoda that shares the same platform?

Yer the XKR used to be shared with the Aston Martin Vantage, and the Jag was better!!

Yes,you are right - the X type. As for platform sharing; it's not platform sharing with the Evoke, more like rebranding the Freelander to shake off its poor record for reliability.

Yes,you are right - the X type. As for platform sharing; it's not platform sharing with the Evoke, more like rebranding the Freelander to shake off its poor record for reliability.

Really is it? Range Rover is Land Rover no difference Calling it a TATA Evoke may have worked I can see the defender line being shipped wholesale to India or China perhaps with the freelander line might be seing some TATA Freelanders very soon :yes: Well they have to be better than the Safari!

Guest Mr Pieman

Never fear - just an urban myrh. The Defenders that have the inward facing seats are being restricted from 2013 (buying a new one will be virtually impossible - although not many left now). If you have an early 06 one, the resale value should rocket as farmers love them. As for crash tests (NCAP ratings) it has nowt to do with it. We have a new Mazda MX5 with a retractable roof and the model has NEVER had a rating as it wasn't ever submitted for test. I think at last count there were over 150 000 MX5 cars in the UK, all untested by Europe. Crash tests are not mandatory, but used as a selling point. You'd be surprised how many cars aren't NCAP rated.

All this crumple zone lark is a right ball ache. I had a Defender partly so as I could smash stuff up with it at work. If a post needed removing I'd ram it, same with small trees. That's the whole point of a Defender and lets be honest if it can't do that you may as well buy a jap 4x4. They have the upper hand on comfort, reliability, in fact everything but the ruggedness is ten times better! :yes:

I've just got myself a Ford Ranger and my god is it nice on the road! I can now drive at the national speed limit without feeling like I'm being rolled down the side of a quarry in a dustbin! :lol:

The Mercedes G Series that is supplied to the military and police in many countries also has all the faults that the Discovery has, but Brussels isn´t telling Mercedes to quit production for the simple reason Germany would stop paying into Brussels, unlike our stupid government :yes:

All this crumple zone lark is a right ball ache. I had a Defender partly so as I could smash stuff up with it at work. If a post needed removing I'd ram it, same with small trees. That's the whole point of a Defender and lets be honest if it can't do that you may as well buy a jap 4x4. They have the upper hand on comfort, reliability, in fact everything but the ruggedness is ten times better! :yes:

I've just got myself a Ford Ranger and my god is it nice on the road! I can now drive at the national speed limit without feeling like I'm being rolled down the side of a quarry in a dustbin! :lol:

:lol::lol: Excellent analogy :good: Loved my Defenders but I have to agree :yes: