hungarian visla's

elmar fudd

its been a while since our cocker passed away and were ready to have another dog, and as a family weve decided we like the visla, they are reported to be good feild dogs, and also alert you of strangers etc so good as a gaurd where we live, as there has been a couple of burglaries recently where we live and mums worried about it, but in the day we all work and so the dog would have to be in a pen outside (obviously with a large shed/shelter aswell) does the breed cope well like this? ive tried to research about the matter but couldnt find anything :look: this is the only thing that we are unsure about with the breed, other than this it seems like everything were looking for :good: so any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated,

fudd

I like these dogs and thought about getting one,but was put off by my mate who does field trials and sees some at these events,he said they are slow and stupid and NOT to get one,watched a programme about them and they need plenty of exercise or the get destructive.

Having said all that,it is NOT from personal experience and they are still on my short list.

Evil Elvis has a pair of these,i think :hmm: he would be the guy to ask.

My friends have one and it's far from slow and stupid. She cleaned up at the club scurries and put the spaniels to shame.

Like all HPR's they do require a lot of exercise and you will not be able to tire them out walking on a lead.

They need a lot more training than a lab or springer but you will have a better dog at the end of it.

Harry

the exercise wont be a problem, our house is surrounded on all sides by various permissions of mine, so it will be taken out everyday :good: and it will be kept indoors at night, just when were about between 8:30 and 4:30, but while we are out it will be kept in a purpose made gundog pen with shelter, it will run round the garden and feilds to its hearts content when we're at home :good:

fudd

Depends whether you want a smooth or a wire. They are both slightly different in build and temperament: Wires tend to be a little heavier in build (GWP in their background) and a little more forthcoming than the smooths I've encountered.

I've been watching and researching the wirehaired for quite a few years and was eventually able to take one on. Now I wouldn't have anything else.

They are easy dogs to train (they are very quick on the uptake) and mine has a very soft mouth. They are great family dogs (great with kids), but they are not guard dogs. Yes, they will sound the alarm, and it's a deep impressive bark, but that's as far as it goes. They do have quite a vocabulary and mine even yells 'hallooooo' at the top of his voice when I get home from work!

They do need a lot of exercise and they have incredible stamina. Mine will still be running rings round my German Shepherd long after she's turned into a panting wreck! Equally they are just as much at home sprawled out on the sofa, snoring when he is let in the house for an hour on an evening. I've not heard any tales about them being destuctive.

Actually, I've just looked at wiki linky here and for once it's reasonably accurate, though Evil Elvis would probably be the best one to comment on the smooth coats.

My advice would be to get on the club website, find a local breeder and ask them if you can go and see them. I did exactly that and everyone I spoke to was very helpful :yes: . Or drop me a pm with any more questions.

Cheers

Paul

They are very needy and like company they are not a kennel dog and are much more at home in front of the fire or curled up in a ball at your feet. however i am sure there are plenty people do.

get a copy of the world of dogs the Hungarian Vizsla by Gay Gottlieb (sadly not with us anymore)

try getting in touch with the club or society you could give the FT secretary Penny Simpson a call Iam sure she would gladly talk to you about the breed and maybe point you in the direction of a litter

its been a while since our cocker passed away and were ready to have another dog, and as a family weve decided we like the visla, they are reported to be good feild dogs, and also alert you of strangers etc so good as a gaurd where we live, as there has been a couple of burglaries recently where we live and mums worried about it, but in the day we all work and so the dog would have to be in a pen outside (obviously with a large shed/shelter aswell) does the breed cope well like this? ive tried to research about the matter but couldnt find anything :look: this is the only thing that we are unsure about with the breed, other than this it seems like everything were looking for :good: so any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated,

fudd

Most HPRs are a bit hypo and crave attention. Certain breeds are good gards, my GWP certainly is but you would have a problem dog on your hands big time if you left him through the day 5 days a week. Speak to honest breeders and i think they will say sorry Vislas not for you, i know of one lady who vets all who wish to take her pups very carefully for such things. On the other hand some might just want your cash,so best suggestion speak to a few :good:

I too have a wirehaired Vizsla, she loves to work and loves to please, I think they are more easy going than the smooth, so more relaxed when alone, most dogs soon adapt to their situation,

but HPR do need plenty of exercise and free running under controlled conditions (ie when off lead - make sure they hunt for you and not themselves, - are doing retrieve exercises) or else at play with you or another friendly dog.

if going to be alone for a while, whilst still diddies try and have someone call in to visit and break the day up for them, maybe a bit of lunch, as they get older they will adapt that after the morning walk is quiet time.

good luck with your choice,

if you can the HWVA have a working test on 10th sept there will be plenty of HPR to see working

jan

seconded from my experience with my GWP similar size and exercise requirement. When a pup you will have issues with them left on their own but as they get older extend the periods left and you should be fine. Mine gets an hour walk before work and then sleeps most of the day ready for when I'm back. Weekends she likes to do the same unless the option of shooting is there when she will work all day and then some.

Again i'd second the getting of a wirehair if possible so much more character than the smooth hairs and as said they aren't strictly the same breeding and do seem calmer