Winchester 101 Lightweight

Amexian

Hi all. I'm about to acquire my first shotgun, my certificate should arrive in about 4 weeks, I already have a Firearms License. My initial activities with the shotgun will be bunnys and clays, really looking forward to it.

I visited my local RFD this morning to discuss a moderately priced (£800) second hand gun and he handed me a Winchester 101 lightweight, fixed choke 28 inch. Lovely gun, felt very nice. I'm new to shotguns so I'd appreciate some opinions on the gun please. Does lightweight determine that it's a ladies or youths gun? Would this be a good first gun for me or are there better recommendations? I'm 57, reasonably fit, 6 feet tall.

Any and all advice much appreciated. Thanks.

As much as I love Winchester 101's,£800 is too much for a lightweight(though 101 prices are creeping up again)Even an XTR couldn't command that sort of money unless it was a Pigeon/Diamond grade with exceptional wood.

Have a gander on guntrader .co.uk and gunstar .co.uk to get an idea of 101 prices.You will also see what other options are available to you regards shotguns.If the Winchester feels comfortable,you may find Browning/Miroku likewise.Shop around,there are 1000's of second-hand guns out there so don't rush into a purchase or let anyone push you into a purchase.

Beretta are also a very good make,and any of the latter 3 will hold their re-sale value and are more desirable than the 101 from a re-sale point of view(though I wouldn't turn down a good Grand European!)

If possible,take someone with experience with you and pick a gun which comes to the shoulder/cheek nicely,and learn to shoot with it with the help of a good coach.Alternatively,find a good coach and take him/her with you when you go shopping.Enjoy yourself. :good:

As much as I love Winchester 101's,£800 is too much for a lightweight(though 101 prices are creeping up again)Even an XTR couldn't command that sort of money unless it was a Pigeon/Diamond grade with exceptional wood.

Have a gander on guntrader .co.uk and gunstar .co.uk to get an idea of 101 prices.You will also see what other options are available to you regards shotguns.If the Winchester feels comfortable,you may find Browning/Miroku likewise.Shop around,there are 1000's of second-hand guns out there so don't rush into a purchase or let anyone push you into a purchase.

Beretta are also a very good make,and any of the latter 3 will hold their re-sale value and are more desirable than the 101 from a re-sale point of view(though I wouldn't turn down a good Grand European!)

If possible,take someone with experience with you and pick a gun which comes to the shoulder/cheek nicely,and learn to shoot with it with the help of a good coach.Alternatively,find a good coach and take him/her with you when you go shopping.Enjoy yourself. :good:

You sort of give conflicting advise there.

You say the price of 101s are creeping up but then say beretta will have a better resale value,in theory if what you say is true if you buy the winchester at the right price you will make money if you look after it.

I totaly agree though that £800 is too much I brought a 101 xtr lightweight multichoke in a private sale a few years back for £300,fantastic guns though. for £800 I would have a look at a brand new Lanber whic are pretty much a beretta in disguise now days :good:

Hi all. I'm about to acquire my first shotgun, my certificate should arrive in about 4 weeks, I already have a Firearms License. My initial activities with the shotgun will be bunnys and clays, really looking forward to it.

I visited my local RFD this morning to discuss a moderately priced (£800) second hand gun and he handed me a Winchester 101 lightweight, fixed choke 28 inch. Lovely gun, felt very nice. I'm new to shotguns so I'd appreciate some opinions on the gun please. Does lightweight determine that it's a ladies or youths gun? Would this be a good first gun for me or are there better recommendations? I'm 57, reasonably fit, 6 feet tall.

Any and all advice much appreciated. Thanks.

To answer your original question the lightweight is a full size adult gun with some lighter weight materials in places to reduce the overall weight of the gun all the major companys make lightweight guns beretta ultralight etc.

I have a few of the older winchester and they have great handleing, feel and fit for my self. I paid around £750 for my 6500 and worth every penny. I feel that people are now starting to hold on to these guns and are slowly fetching more money. even for i 20 year old gun they are still near the top in my apinion, and if i remember correctly i think one winchester 6500 mark 1 won the world sporting clay target chapionships once apon a time. :good:

Speak to any owner of one of these guns and they will tell you how great they really are as well.

BUT Please stay well away from the Winchester Select, its a peace of **** no quality in it at all I would love to burn them all, these guns do not deserve to be called Winchesters it breaks my heart :no:

I have a few of the older winchester and they have great handleing, feel and fit for my self. I paid around £750 for my 6500 and worth every penny. I feel that people are now starting to hold on to these guns and are slowly fetching more money. even for i 20 year old gun they are still near the top in my apinion, and if i remember correctly i think one winchester 6500 mark 1 won the world sporting clay target chapionships once apon a time. :good:

Speak to any owner of one of these guns and they will tell you how great they really are as well.

BUT Please stay well away from the Winchester Select, its a peace of **** no quality in it at all I would love to burn them all, these guns do not deserve to be called Winchesters it breaks my heart :no:

I have a winchester 6500 28" mc a great gun i paid £375 for it about 10 years ago its the only gun i will make money on if i ever sell it.

bornfree

I agree,the Select isn't a patch on the older guns,but very good 101's turn up from time to time.

As regards contradictory advice fenboy,What I mean is that while the re-sale value of 101's may be creeping up again,a good second-hand Beretta will always command a better price than a good second-hand 101(though from a personal point of view I know which one I would have)and from a dealers point of view the Beretta would be the more desirable model to stock not necessarily because it's a better gun mechanically,but because it has wider appeal.

One thing I should have mentioned to Amexian is to consider what he wants the gun for,as a fixed choke gun may not turn out to be the best option for a beginner to choose if he intends to shoot mostly clays.

Winchester 101 is a very good gun Ive had a Winchester 101 XTR Lightweight multi choke for years and I paid £700

Look out for any play in the action as some Ive seen are really bad.

At £800 it should not just drop open on its own when the top lever is opened and should be like new

Edited by mfletch

I bought a new lightweight 101 in the mid 80's, cost £400. A nice gun but do to weight it didn;t like anything more than 28gram cartridges. Sold it about 12 years ago for £380. Just watch the barrels, they are chrome lined and I remember the chrome had just started to lift at the choke end.

I bought a new lightweight 101 in the mid 80's, cost £400. A nice gun but do to weight it didn;t like anything more than 28gram cartridges. Sold it about 12 years ago for £380. Just watch the barrels, they are chrome lined and I remember the chrome had just started to lift at the choke end.

Yes thats mine went to the great gunshop in the sky a great big bit of chrome complete with some steel lifted halfway along the top barrel :oops: