FAC Open ticket procedure

triscrx

I have held my FAC for a number of years now and have various calibres from .22 to .223 but I still have a restricted FAC stating on land as cleared by the chief of police or words to that effect.

I have had a number of calls recently asking for my assistance to clear a Fox that is being a pest on land a few miles from my permission in some gardens where some friends keep chickens and ducks and surrounding grounds, These gardens are in the countryside not in a domestic area and of course I would like to help out but I am aware of the current restriction on my FAC.

Is it simply a case of ringing the Firearms department and explaining the situation to them and request that they issue me with an Open ticket to enable me to control the foxs within my FAC. Of course I do not want to go up there and sort the foxs out and shoot outside of the rules on my FAC so I would like to get it opened up prior to attending the property to help out.

I intend to visit the above ground this weekend to assess the ground for safe backstops etc.

Many thanks

Tris

nothing to lose fella but it seams to go on exsperiance ,land ,and how many rounds you use my mate has had his 10 years

and bin turned down 2 times in ten years so its not a cert that they will open it up some forces are more laid back than others

ring them and ask nothing to lose

Thumbs up if you thought this was Catamong asking this question :lol:

In response to the OP. I'd put in a letter saying that you have been asked to deal with foxes on land which you couldn't confirm was cleared, as it was the middle of the night. This stopped you from completing your pest control duties, which is counter-productive.

Back this up with two references from people you've shot with and you've got a good case. :good:

Edited by Billy.

its bloody mind boggleing, i was 17 when i got my fac with 223 22 and 17 i never had a mentor and got it open when i got it and i had only ever fired two cf rounds! the police need to sort this out one rule for us all

AFAIK Scotland and North Yorks give everyone open certs

You've got a good case, I'd stock up on ammo and write them a letter saying just what you put in the first part of your post, include your FAC and send it to them.

..it worked for me.

If you ring you probably won't speak to someone who can give you a yes but everyone has the authority to say no. At best they will just suggest you send a letter.

Edited by Colster

Just spoke to them on the phone (Devon & Cornwall) and they asked how long I had held my FAC (Since 2008) and asked the reason I was after an Open cert to which I said I have recently acquired more land and they said it shouldn't be a problem and to send a letter reflecting our discussion and it should be no problem.

Will update when I have a reply

Weird isn't it.

I had my licence (rimfire) for 5 years, when it came to renewal my FEO said he'd automatically upgrade it to open as (in his words) you've been a good boy and I know you never go out without contacting your farmers in advance and we like that. I didn't even know you could have an 'open' licence at the time.

It pays to be good, obviously!

• 1 month later...