SPEED CAMERAS

william

The jammers are illegal and an offence under the wireless telegraphy act.

The detectors are still legal.

The difference?

Last time the police tried to prosecute someone, the judge ruled that detecting the presence of a radio transmission did not constitute interfering with it. :huh:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote Dave

n my book you don’t tell some one they are talking out there a@#e then call them m8!!

I doubt that their would be any one adhering to a speed limit on a deserted stretch of motor way because deserted means in this context 1: left desolate or empty. If you are intent on doing 160MPH on the track or road I suggest you use the correct rated tyres and you should not have much likelihood of a blow out.

Buy cheep and you might not get the chance to buy twice in this case!!

I know of people who routinely speed day in day out that have been driving for over 1,000,000 miles without an accident because hazards are dully noted and respected

If speed kills how come every one that flies in an aircraft at 500mph does not die?

How come every one who goes above the speed limits in the UK does not die?

How come all Germans are don’t die on the Auto bahns?

your right I shouldn't of called you mate, how come every one that flies doesn't get killed well I suppose it because the planes in the sky are usually flying and not going along a road. All the Germans won't die I'm sure the odd one or two do though? Routinely speeding aint clever or is nothing to brag about 9 times out of ten you may get away with it.

Edited by william

So theirfore the coment speed kills is emotive ****!

Driving like a t#t kills as does inapropriate speed but not adhearing to the UK speed limits does not kill although I would like to see speed limits in housing estates routinely reduced to 20 mph but as for the open road good hazard perception will keep your self and every one elso on the road safe. Or all the police traffic cops and ambulance drivers would be dead if speed kills

Dave

Dave me old flower I think I will aggree to disagree with ya I'm bored of going over the same points so I won't bother with any more replies. I have loads of decorating to do and I want to go shoot a deer or fox from a high seat in 3 hrs. Thankyou for your promt replies though mate(lol)

So theirfore the coment speed kills is emotive ****!

Driving like a t#t kills as does inapropriate speed but not adhearing to the UK speed limits does not kill

although I would like to see speed limits in housing estates routinely reduced to 20 mph

but as for the open road good hazard perception will keep your self and every one elso on the road safe. Or all the police traffic cops and ambulance drivers would be dead if speed kills

Dave

Sorry Dave

But, Not adhearing to the UK speed limits is deemed to be INAPROPRIATE speed, HENCE THE SPEED LIMITS. :lol:

If speed dose not Kill why do you want to see limits reduced to 20mph in housing estates. :lol:

Police & Ambulance drivers do die because of the speed that they drive at. :lol:

Speed dose kill, its not just the speed that you are traveling but the speed that you stop. :huh:

Next time you go shooting try throwing your ammo at your Quarry.

Best order a take-away. :lol::lol::lol:

THE PELT MAN

Horses for courses I say. There's a time and place for different speed limits rather than the blanket ones imposed on us. The point that many of the politicians who set these limits dont see is that there are clearly millions of us that feel the limits have been set too low.

In my opinion motorway limits should be higher, dual carriageway limits should be higher, clearway limits should be higher, and all limits should increase when it's reasonable to assume kids are safely in bed.

The trade off is that roads in housing estates, shopping areas and around schools should be reduced, particularly outside of lighting up times.

O for the day that politicians actually consider the wishes of the majority when they set their laws and start thinking of the motorist as a voter, instead of an easy target for policemen.

Edited by Dave-G

The point that many of the politicians who set these limits dont see is that there are clearly millions of us that feel the limits have been set too low.

In my opinion motorway limits should be higher, dual carriageway limits should be higher, clearway limits should be higher,

O for the day that politicians actually consider the wishes of the majority when they set their laws

I think that you will find that the majority dont want the speed limits changed.

Maybe you know dif ?

You cant make staments to suit yourself when you dont know the facts

THE PELT MAN

the pelt man...

I'm truly sorry at your loss, and understand why you clearly have very strong opinions on this subject - Why not run a poll to guage the general opinion?

If it shows that I am in the minority I will concede that you are correct

Perhaps someone unconnected with this discussion could word a poll in a way that does'nt favour either view?

I think that you will find that the majority dont want the speed limits changed.

Maybe you know dif ?

You cant make staments to suit yourself when you dont know the facts

THE PELT MAN

Peltman & others,

Just take a look at this -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/4626952.stm

OR go to :

http://www.abd.org.uk/

and click on "Speed Cameras".

the Lizard

I personaly no of no one who does not speed at some point and most people I know speed on the open roads regularly.

Why do I want to reduce speed limits in housing estates?

Because much above 20 in a housing estate is inapropriate speed. A kid could easily step out between two vehicles and even at the speed limit you would not have the chance to stop or perceive the hazard. personaly I would already have perceived the potential hazard and slowed down.

On the M6 at 0100 you can easily do 100mph and not be a risk to your self or any one else just like is the case on the autobahns in Germany.

I can only asume that those advocating that we stick rigidly to the current speed limits have a circle of friends and aquaintancies like them selves that have never in their lives broken the speed limits.

Dave

Edited by Devilishdave

Dave & others

I'm not complaining about the speeding, if people wish to lose there licence (which they got by complying with the laws of the road) through speed camaras/traps, thats fine BUT dont cry about these methods being money making tools as nobody has to pay if they stick to the limits deemed to be safe.

how many of you know at what speed your tyres are rated too ?

100 mph on an empty M road at 1am OK untill the blow out or Cattle on the road

even Deer. Many UK roads have traffic at all times of day & night.

How many of you run your Airrifles above the 12ft/lb leagal limit without an FAC.

1am out in the field a couple of pound over the limit what the hell go for it, the law on the limit is to low. NONE of YOU

Anyway your on a dif Hz what is said will not change your minds, I just hope the day dosen't come you craddle your mate in your arms watching him twitch & his last breath drain from him. & see his 3 year old daughter every day asking for him. :huh:

All the best

THE PELT MAN

The speed limits were invented at the time when the motorcar was in it's infancy. They have not been updated for something like 50 years. The cars now have disc brakes, crumple zones, airbags and seatbelts for all the occupants.

The speed camera systems are for generating revenue and not aimed at road safety because the cameras are not limited to accident blackspots and far from it. They make the driver take their concentration from the road to the speedometer which is lunacy. Anyone that says when they go through a camera system and dont need to repeatedly glance at their speedometer is a liar or driving so slowely as to cause a danger to other road users.

The government has repeatedly tried to change the name of speed cameras to safety cameras in order to make them sound more in place with their argument that they are for road safety. The government says that speed kills and have placed millions of speed cameras on our roads so if speed is a major factor in road deaths as the government says and speed cameras stop people speeding therefore the number of speed cameras should have a direct bearing in a reduction on road deaths but road deaths are on the increase.

The fact is that the speed limit appropriate for the conditions can never be set by a blanket speed limit.

Lizard

of course you & others are right they have found a way to make money. But its our fault for doing it. We are all in to much of a rush. when in fact if you look at most trips taken in the car they are not that long, so how much time do you save driving fast. can we leave in plenty of time no. Even when we are in no rush to get some where we still speed.

Its only our mind set thats the problem.

It is so much more of a plesure driving within the speed limit you see so much more. This i take into the field with me. Out at 4am snails pace round the golf course then on to the next. What a great place we live in slow down & take a better look.

oh by the way i have been done by a Speed Camara, on a Duel Carrigeway

Taking myself to Hospital with a large gash in my shin with bone showing from a tackle at football. I was doing 53mph the road is 40mph because so many side roads entering with a few roundabouts.

I was told by my FLO when he came round that i could have appealed as i was using my car as an Ambulance, which i didn't know you could do. But this was 3 years ago so its a bit late now.

Anyway carry on as usual what will be will be. I've lost enough sleep over what had happened some time ago to lose anymore now.

Time to move on

THE PELT MAN

Edited by the pelt man

I know that it could be time to call it a day on this thread but could I just add a few points...........

1) Next time you are speeding remember that someone else could also be speeding and kill your family. Every excuse you have used they will have as well. How would you feel then?

2) Speed DOES kill. You can dress it up however you like but if you are doing 100mph you will do more damage than if you had been doing 70mph.

3) Drive how you like, just remember that others will be doing the same and it could be your family that gets wiped out. Is that going to change your view on it all as you watch them being lowered 6 foot under? Or will you be saying "It wasn't his fault, he had the correct tyres on the car!"?

I find myself agreeing with most of the comments in here, which is strange given many contradict each other .

I personally think that the speed limits are pretty good, and don't have much problem with the way they are set. On balance I support speed cameras in build up areas and accident black spots. I think that on motorways, the speed limit should be raised to 80mph. I don't think there should be speed cameras on motorways either, and personally would prefer traffic police only who stop you if you are going above 90mph. At the moment I have been advised by a mate who works for Thames Valley Police, that they use common sense, and up to 85mph you won't get done, provided the driving conditions (ie light traffic and good road conditions) are safe. Above that they get you whatever.

Why do people keep insisting on speed kills? Thats absolute nonsense, speed doesnt kill at all, ignorant drivers kill. Germany doesnt have the problems with speed yet they have 150 mph Autobahns. No, the problem with this country is that everyone wants to be infornt of the next car regardless. Then you get all those ####s who dont know what keep left means.

I drive for a living and dont see how speed cameras offer any help at all, except for congestion calming. Its a stealth Tax through and through. Unfortunately, most drivers today just wanna pass the car in front and stay infront. They are ignorant to other road users. Then you got the people who cant drive at all. Its these sorts of peolple that need sorting out.

Up the Speed limits to 80mph and ban the idiots. :good:

I know that it could be time to call it a day on this thread but could I just add a few points...........

1) Next time you are speeding remember that someone else could also be speeding and kill your family. Every excuse you have used they will have as well. How would you feel then?

2) Speed DOES kill. You can dress it up however you like but if you are doing 100mph you will do more damage than if you had been doing 70mph.

3) Drive how you like, just remember that others will be doing the same and it could be your family that gets wiped out. Is that going to change your view on it all as you watch them being lowered 6 foot under? Or will you be saying "It wasn't his fault, he had the correct tyres on the car!"?

Speed don't kill. Jets travel at many times car speed and most people arrive alive :unsure:

Its people who kill, usually through poor judgement or stupidity.

You can't legislate against stupidity but you can sometimes educate to better judgement.

Yep, I agree, drive how you like, take control of your car, drive to the conditions, not to the speed limits.

The goverment isn't really interested in road safety, they just want your cash. :good:

Speed don't kill. Jets travel at many times car speed and most people arrive alive :oops:

Nice comparison however you overlooked the fact that you don't see that many planes driving round on the road do you? :blink:

I was refering in the context of motoring on the U.K. roads.

Why do people keep insisting on speed kills? Thats absolute nonsense, speed doesnt kill at all, ignorant drivers kill. .

Unfortunately, most drivers today just wanna pass the car in front and stay infront. They are ignorant to other road users. Then you got the people who cant drive at all. Its these sorts of peolple that need sorting out.

Ignorant drivers kill because they are ignorant of the speed limit as well as driving badly. :unsure:

YOU might think you are in full control of your car doing 80mph but if someone else cocks up you will have less reaction time. Even 1/10th of a second could make the difference! You can't completley stop all risk but any reduction could be good!

Start now by banning idiots and then when the incident level falls up the limit. If you can't get the incident level to fall then clearly we cannot be trusted can we ?

Besides if you get people doing 90mph on a motorway when the limit is 70mph then they will still be doing 90mph when the limit is 80mph! Or worse still 100mph!

Sorry Snakebite but I just dont agree. Ignorant drivers are ignorant and cause the problems full stop. A person driving at 80mph can do so safely if he/she is NOT ignorant of the road conditions. Amount of traffic, safe distance, advance reading of traffic, weather conditions, corners etc etc. If you leave a big enough gap for your speed and take all of the above into concideration, there is no reason at all why you can not drive this speed.

I wonder how many of us would fail a Driving Test if they had to resit. Or indeed how many would fair well in an advanced driving test.? Are you up to date with your Highway Code?

Speed cameras actually cause accidents and this has been proven in places. People know where they are and slam on the breaks to slow down then speed up after. Speed cameras add to the problem as most drivers are ignorant.

I have a simple rule of thumb; Drive to the limits within town and in areas highly populated, then on an open road drive at a sensible speed and to the conditions. Dont get me wrong though, I am not suggestiong that people go out and drive like Micheal Schumacher and dont condone such actions. But driving at 80-85mph on a clear motorway can be acheived safely.

Speed don't kill. Jets travel at many times car speed and most people arrive alive :oops:

Nice comparison however you overlooked the fact that you don't see that many planes driving round on the road do you? :blink:

I was refering in the context of motoring on the U.K. roads.

Why do people keep insisting on speed kills? Thats absolute nonsense, speed doesnt kill at all, ignorant drivers kill. .

Unfortunately, most drivers today just wanna pass the car in front and stay infront. They are ignorant to other road users. Then you got the people who cant drive at all. Its these sorts of peolple that need sorting out.

Ignorant drivers kill because they are ignorant of the speed limit as well as driving badly. :unsure:

YOU might think you are in full control of your car doing 80mph but if someone else cocks up you will have less reaction time. Even 1/10th of a second could make the difference! You can't completley stop all risk but any reduction could be good!

Start now by banning idiots and then when the incident level falls up the limit. If you can't get the incident level to fall then clearly we cannot be trusted can we ?

Besides if you get people doing 90mph on a motorway when the limit is 70mph then they will still be doing 90mph when the limit is 80mph! Or worse still 100mph!

I think my underlying point is that the Government should stop treating people like idiots.

They should allow people to judge conditions without imposing blanket conditions.

They should stop fleecing motorists under the guise of road safety.

There's no magic safety point at 70 mph. Traffic density should determine speed limit not some magic number dreamed up donkeys years ago.

You don't get the best out of people by treating them like idiots or criminals.