nissan turbo problem

Flashgun

hiya, i have got a problem with my xtrail diesel and wondering if there are any xtrail owners on here who have had the same problem, when driving and accelerate upto 2000 revs there is a high pitch whistle from the turbo there is no lack of power and no smoke is the turbo on its way out. any ideas would be appreciated, cheers. :hmm:

Are you sure its not more like a screach when releasing the cluch & accelerating hard ish, this would sound more like the clutch thrust bearing but not been there its difficult to say !! I could be completely wrong !! If you`ve got good torque from around 1500/1700 rpm & no white smoke It sounds ok to me.

turbos are a common fault on the xtrail my mate had a 04 plate that the turbo went on

he has just done the turbo on his 05 plate one .

i do hope its not yours thats on it,s way out as they are a tad pricey but i would advise getting it looked at asap

Are you sure its not more like a screach when releasing the cluch & accelerating hard ish, this would sound more like the clutch thrust bearing but not been there its difficult to say !! I could be completely wrong !! If you`ve got good torque from around 1500/1700 rpm & no white smoke It sounds ok to me.

thanks for reply, i dont think its anything to do with the clutch because it does it when driving along normally when i accelerate it sounds like the police are behind me. a friend of mine said check the exhaust for a small hole because it can change the pressure in the turbo.

The whistling is not necessarily a problem, if power is down or fuel conmsumption is poor then thats the 1st sign of a turbo failure. I had one go on my X-Trail at 30k miles. Although it was the intercooler that failed (leaking oil and contaminated everything). I had a replacement set fitted intrecooler, turbo and sensors but the replacement turbo had a fan blade go after a week, that was noisy and fuel consumption very poor. 2nd new turbo and its all ok now.....just done 60k (30k on the new one which was an Essex Turbo Exchange) it does whistle when under load but (KYFC) appear all ok. It might be my imagination but mine seems noiser when it's warmer outside. Not so noisy in cold weather......

Edited by Bradders

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...