Handling Foxes

The following is taken from here.

The incidence of human infestation with E. multilocularis and disease is increasing in urban areas, as wild foxes (an important reservoir species of the sylvatic cycle) are migrating to urban and suburban areas and gaining closer contact with human populations (Vuitton, 2009[2]). Also, restocking fox enclosures for fox hunting with infected animals spreads the disease.[8] Children, health care workers and domestic animals are at risk of ingesting the cysts after coming into contact with the feces of infected wild foxes. Even with the improvement of health in developed/industrialized countries, the prevalence of alveolar echinococcosis (AE) did not decrease (Vuitton, 2009[2]). On the contrary, incidents of AE have now also been registered in eastern European countries and sporadic incidences in other European countries (Vuitton, 2009[2]).

A chap from the ukraine who works on the farm i shoot on, always takes the foxes i shoot he tells me his wife makes a stew with them,he's offered to bring some to work for me.i had to tell him i was vegetarian. :lol:

ps if anyone wants to make a fox stew he tells me vixens or cubs are best, dog foxes are a bit strong.

bornfree

simple facts are with foxes erring on the side of caution is better. Though we all do handle them there are things they can pass on, one interesting one I heard of is a guy with a small cut on his hand who caught blood poisoning from a fox. Killed him in a week, europeans won't go near them due to rabies which fortunately we do't need to worry about. I have to say since I heard about the blood poisoning I'm a bit more careful