Malformed rutting buck and a first solo deer

groach1234

Well after my trip down to see JC275 I have been filled with confidence and finally plucked up the courage to go out with the intention of taking my first deer unaccompanied and so for the past few days thats what i've been doing and tonight I got very lucky indeed.

I had had a couple of failed attempts at calling and blanking having not see a buck for sure although I did call a deer in close but it winded me before I could sex it and my other attempts had proved fruitless only seeing the odd doe so i was unsure what was happening around here with the rut. Anyway, I headed out after tea at around 7 to have a drive around and see what is moving. I spotted a couple of does one was with out any kids nor did she have a buck chasing. So I carried on to a different bit of the farm and found a different doe this time with a single kid but again no buck but this time I headed out on foot. I stalked along about a 1km stretch of wood/scrub about 40 yards wide but only bumped another doe, still not buck so I thought it was going to be another blank :doh: anyway back to the car and then back to where I had seen the first doe to see if a buck had found her.

Anyway I was in luck. This time It was a different doe just off a different wood this time with 2 kids and the best bit.......a buck and he was rutting. Well I assume thats what he was doing :oops: he was trying to chase the does kids off to get her by herself but never full succeeded. While watch this through the binos I realised it was a buck id seen once earlier in the year with malformed antlers, possibly frost damaged? but i dont know. All the same id wanted him off the land so whilst he was trying to scare off the kids I managed to get in to a shootable range. By this time the doe had had enough and was off into the woods and the buck didn't seemed too bothered and started to make his way towards me but didnt have a clue I was there. He got to within about 80 and crossed into a clearing in the field where the wheat hadn't taken so I gave him a quick bark, he froze and I dropped him on the spot with a nice chest shot :D

I went up performed a not so quick but nice clean gralloch and took the deer back to the house, cleaned him out and took him to the room next to the cold store on the farm.

Im a very happy bunny indeed a really interesting first buck and a text book stalk and no hich ups so Im over the moon :cool: :-D

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

George

People always say 'you never forget your first deer' and it is true you won't, but I will also never forget my first solo deer - if anything I was shaking just as much as when I shot my first when I walked over to sort it out.

Well done, you sound like you are really racking them up at the moment, are you keeping a game log?

Thanks everyone Im really pleased with him and about to go out and deal with the head.

People always say 'you never forget your first deer' and it is true you won't, but I will also never forget my first solo deer - if anything I was shaking just as much as when I shot my first when I walked over to sort it out.

Well done, you sound like you are really racking them up at the moment, are you keeping a game log?

Yeah I was more nervous taking the shot knowing if i fluffed it i was on my own and that no one was looking over my shoulder as i performed the gralloch but it all went to plan. Also yes i am keeping a game log in a game book my dad bought me at the CLA with a section for deer and I have back dated it using forums im on to find days and details of deer i have shot.. It'll be something nice to look back on in the future.

George