Sloe berries

fielddweller

It's usual to wait until there's been a frost or two before picking any.The traditional way is to ***** them with a silver fork before pouring on the gin and sugar,but if you put them in the freezer for a few days this usually bursts them anyhow.

You cangoogle recipes or look in the recipe thread on this forum.

LOL...censored the word,rhymes with stick!

Edited by Scully

Pick em late September onwards and freeze them to burst their skins (saves pr icking them). Fill the bottle 1/4 full of sloes, then up to 1/3rd with sugar (get it in all the gaps the sloes leave). Fill up to around an inch from the top with cheap gin and then shake daily for a fortnight, reducing to a weekly shake. SHould be ready in a couple of months, but will improve with keeping. You can also make a lovely pie filling with the sloes once you empty them out.

as above - usually they have a "coating" of white on them after a frost or two (no - not the frost!) that makes them change from shiny black to a dull grey ...

2 lb sloes - pricked or burst

2 lb sugar

2 bottle vodka (better than gin - really)

all into a wine making 2 1/2 litre 'Winchester' - shaken everyday till the sugar has dissolved - then left in warm/dark place for 2 months

Simple dude, pick and freeze, defrost, whack with rolling pin. Now this is the crafty bit. Buy a cheap bottle of value water from Tescos and pour contents away, sterile bottle see, put in Sloes, put in gin. Wrap in bin bag and put in boot of car. Drive around for a couple of months. Take out, filter off (run through a funnel with a paper coffee filter in), add sugar or sweetener to taste, only add a little at a time because if you put too much in it will ruin it), shake thoroughly after adding sugar by the way.

Another tip a tablespoon of glycerine will improve mouth feel (makes it feel like a bought liqueur not a home made one), by one who has, many times!

mine last year developed a green algae type residue on the inside of the glass which was not covered by the gin.... this migrated to a scumm acress the surface. This was after the berries had been revmoved and the gin re-decanted into the bottle.

I can only assume that everything was not as sterile as it could have been....

any ideas?

Simple dude, pick and freeze, defrost, whack with rolling pin. Now this is the crafty bit. Buy a cheap bottle of value water from Tescos and pour contents away, sterile bottle see, put in Sloes, put in gin. Wrap in bin bag and put in boot of car. Drive around for a couple of months. Take out, filter off (run through a funnel with a paper coffee filter in), add sugar or sweetener to taste, only add a little at a time because if you put too much in it will ruin it), shake thoroughly after adding sugar by the way.

Another tip a tablespoon of glycerine will improve mouth feel (makes it feel like a bought liqueur not a home made one), by one who has, many times!

I like that idea!! Have used glycerin in the past when i've made gin from kits and it does make it less "gravelly"

Leaving in car boot for a couple of months sounds like a good idea.Used to put mine in one of those big old fashioned swwtie jars(must be glass,the plastic ones leak)and then place under the sink or somewhere else dark,and turn each week for a couple of months.Was given some damson gin by an old dear a few months ago,so old it's lost most of it's colour,but the taste is divine. :good:

Typo:'Sweetie' jar.

The white coating, or "bloom" is indeed wild yeast, but no fermentation will ever take place in the presence of such high levels of alcohol.

With sloe gin I'd tend to agree with you but for other wines or straight sloe wine, it depends entirely upon the alcohol tolerance of the yeast.