Dorset Firearms dept not processing SGC/FAC

samh6

Ok iv got a bit of a problem, infact anyone wanting a variation on there FAC, or wanting to apply for either a FAC or SGC in the dorset area has a problem as the firearms dept at winfrith has stated

Processing of any licence or item/matter relating to Firearms and Explosives licensing may experience a delay for the foreseeable future.

New grants of licences will not be processed at this time – updates to follow.

No variations will be processed for a minimum of 2 months.

European Firearms Permits will not be produced (unless related to a renewal).

No home visits will be made for transfer into the county enquiries (unless licence also due for renewal).

No home visits will be made for change or address enquiries (unless licence also due for renewal).

Visitors permits will require a mandatory 6 weeks notice period – permits may not be produced if less notice given.

Please do not contact or visit the department (unless requested to do so) as this will only delay processing further.

This leaves me with a bit of a pickle as I will be looking to apply for a SGC ready for the season ahead as I have previously been storing my guns at my grandparents on there certificate and wildfowling with my grandfather but as he will not always be available i'll now need my own certificate, after reading there message i decided to email them asking for an update and they came back to me today with

Dear Sir,

I am afraid that this is still the situation but hopefully the situation will improve.

Yours faithfully

Leaving me a little puzzled so are there any options for me, can I apply to another constabulary (Hampshire) under my grandparents address bare in mind im there 2-3 days a week anyway or is it just better to apply and hope for the best?

Morning All,

There is nothing malicious about this, simple fact is that the licensing team have lost a few staff in one go – so they are short staffed for the time being while they recruit replacements.

We have been in touch with the ACC for Dorset and we are working with them on a new set of words!

David

Morning All,

There is nothing malicious about this, simple fact is that the licensing team have lost a few staff in one go – so they are short staffed for the time being while they recruit replacements.

We have been in touch with the ACC for Dorset and we are working with them on a new set of words!

David

David,

Have an idea; why doesn't the Association talk to all of the Accs and arrange with them to take on the job and get it done professionally. Probably end up as now - jobs for the boys - but at least our boys know the law which, it seems, would be an improvement from the word go. We might even manage one hymn sheet!

Well done, BASC.

Isn't processing FAC/SGC's a statutory function of the Police? :hmm:

Mark

I would have thought so but is their a timescale? They could take 2 years to process an application if they wanted to. Interestingly there is no Vacancy for FEO/FLO type roles on the recruitment website, so either they are well underway for recruiting, or they arent advertising it, or they aren't going to replace the staff and redirect the funds elsewhere.

I would have thought so but is their a timescale? They could take 2 years to process an application if they wanted to. Interestingly there is no Vacancy for FEO/FLO type roles on the recruitment website, so either they are well underway for recruiting, or they arent advertising it, or they aren't going to replace the staff and redirect the funds elsewhere.

Had a look and they are not advertising vacancies to avoid redundancies. Could this mean that vacancies are being filled by staff from other areas who otherwise would have been out on their ear?

I don't know about the police recruitment process but most civil service depts have to advertise posts part of employment legislation they have to advertise externally permanent posts above a certain level ( not sure were FEO's fall in the process)

Hey guys,

I did get in contact with BASC who gave me a quick reply and assured me there on the case and it would be best just to go ahead and see what happens, after speaking to a friend who works for the force at my local station it seems that the two senior staff in the dept have moved to a different post managing the security for 2012 as the sailing is based in weymouth leaving the dept depleted of staff, just got to wait and see what happens from now on and hopefully they find (competent) replacements soon, its interesting to see what will happen at the next FELWG (ACPO ADMINISTRATION OF FIREARMS AND EXPLOSIVES LICENSING WORKING GROUP) meeting as group was chaired and administered by Dorset's dept under last year.

at the next FELWG (ACPO ADMINISTRATION OF FIREARMS AND EXPLOSIVES LICENSING WORKING GROUP) meeting as group was chaired and administered by Dorset's dept under last year.

don't suppose you know when the next meeting is? Or if the minutes are public?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anymore on this? Been waiting a while now to move my shotguns up here from Devon, hopefully it will be sorted soon.

You can still move them as long as you have informed them in writing 'without undue delay' that you have moved house. You have then satisfied the condition on your certificate.

You can still move them as long as you have informed them in writing 'without undue delay' that you have moved house. You have then satisfied the condition on your certificate.

I thought the cabinet would have to be inspected and such?

On their site it states "No home visits will be made for transfer into the county enquiries (unless licence also due for renewal)." So presumed that the would have to come out before I could transfer?

That statement says the opposite. They won't come and see you unless your cert is up for renewal.

Indeed, which is not until 2013. What I am saying is surely I cannot store guns in the new house in a new county until they have given a home visit and checked the cabinet? I will also need to be issued with a new Dorset SGC. I will ring up Devon and Cornwall tomorrow when I have the chance and see what they say, seems the Dorset firearms department does not want to take calls at the moment.

I applied for a SGC at the end of July and was told by the FEO 10-12 weeks if you're lucky, I'm in Sussex. Having previously waited 13 weeks for my FAC last year I'm not surprised.

The thing that frustrates me about these waiting periods is their apparent lack of accountability, absence of preagreed service levels and lack of commitment to their customers. The FEOs on the whole seem to be knowledgeable and efficient, mine is a really nice bloke. The problems arrive when they pass the paperwork to the admin staff for processing. They are not required to answer to their customers. I also object to paying up front for something when the supplier has no idea of when he may be able to deliver.

Indeed, which is not until 2013. What I am saying is surely I cannot store guns in the new house in a new county until they have given a home visit and checked the cabinet? I will also need to be issued with a new Dorset SGC. I will ring up Devon and Cornwall tomorrow when I have the chance and see what they say, seems the Dorset firearms department does not want to take calls at the moment.

Sorry - should have been clearer. You must notify a change of address as per the conditions on your SGC. I took the statement to mean that when notified Dorset will not come and see you for a change of address only. They will come and see you to renew to prevent you from being without a certificate but do not feel the need/have anyone to inspect your cabinet.

If you notify them of the address change then you will need to ensure your guns are stored safely and you have complied with the conditions on your SGC. If Dorset don't feel the need to inspect the cabinet then that is up to them. They can't prevent you moving after all.

If they don't sort it soon, there'll be one highly irate member who is dieing to get his sticky little fingers on a 222! :cry1:

Perhaps it should be "leaked" to the Western Morning News that due to poor manning levels in the DC, there are unlicensed gun owners in Dorset which could be an embarrassment in view of the Olympic sailing events next year and the possibility of terrorist activity.