choice

ratcatcher2250

i was faced with the .177 / .22 debate wilst choosing which SMK XS to get - i usally shoot .22 so i went for .177 for a change and i think i made a good decision, i think it ultimately comes down to personal preference there are millions of threads covering this topic and have a read, if you dont already know about trajectory and shots per fill and everything and penetration and stopping power and the list goes on, i really dont believe there is a "better caliber" as the arguments for each balance themselfs out. Allot of people shoot .177 on here so i was tempted to stray from .22 !

My S410 is a superb bit of kit. i have taken many 50+ yards kills with it and its sub 12 ft/lbs.

Its super accurate, i have mine in .177 caliber. I was always a .22 fan but since i swapped i will never go back .177 all the way for me now

:good:

In Sub 12, I don't think you can beat .177. it's A very forgiving calibre at lower power levels.

I have a Mk1 Rapid & an MFR, Both in .177 cal. Both are equally accurate and very effective out to 60 yards on a still day.

I used to have a AA S410 in .22, but once i had the Rapid in .177, the kill rate increased considerably.

So on that score I'd effeminately go .177

Depends what you want the gun for really?

You ask whether it's worth having at sub 12, well, if you want to be able to shoot rabbit/rats/pigeons out to 50 yards, then yes, it's fine. If you want to go much more than that then you will start to struggle.

I use an AirArms S400 in .177 and have shot rabbit cleanly at 60 yards. However, that was because I underestimated the range. It will cleanly kill all day long at 45-50 yards, the accuracy is still very tight at that range.

I have no issues with not cleanly killing with a 177. If it's on target, it will kill them with a head shot from 8 yards out to 60.

Depends what you want the gun for really?

You ask whether it's worth having at sub 12, well, if you want to be able to shoot rabbit/rats/pigeons out to 50 yards, then yes, it's fine. If you want to go much more than that then you will start to struggle.

I use an AirArms S400 in .177 and have shot rabbit cleanly at 60 yards. However, that was because I underestimated the range. It will cleanly kill all day long at 45-50 yards, the accuracy is still very tight at that range.

I have no issues with not cleanly killing with a 177. If it's on target, it will kill them with a head shot from 8 yards out to 60.

Its accuracy that counts not the calibre,

or the power levels, hit the kill zone= dead prey

i shoot all the calibres

consistant accuracy is the goal.

regards Brian

Edited by happyshooter

Thanks for the replies i have all ways wounderd why you get more shots per fill out of 22 than 177 will have to read some stuff i think

Put simply, cos thats what I understand, .177 calibre has a smaller surface area for the air to act on hence it needs more air than the bigger area of a .22 pellet.

Edited by Good shot?