Cabinet in the loft

MG6065

they have to be "given" for under 18's and it makes life interesting in the regs. As your over 15 (under 15's need an adult IIRC) shouldnt be an issue not sure on the interview process tho if it's just you or if guardian has to be present? But i would speak to FEO before fitting cabinet in the loft! Life is a lot easier if you don't have go into the loft (one issue io heard of was FEO's cant go into lofts due to H&S regs..... so cant inspect cabinet, so no good!)

just a small point - if you have a cabinet in the loft - use it.

I know at least one person who, after a hard days shooting, 'forgot to' - (maybe too tired) to put his gun all the way up in the loft.

Sadly he was burgled and his gun taken - he lost his cert.

Yeah decisions decisions ! I'm going to ring up the firearms department in the morning and just find out what's what ! Don't fancy putting it in the loft then it having to be moved downstairs again ! Thanks for your help guys really appreciate it ! This is a great forum with people who actually want to help the youngsters get involved and keep the passion alive ! Cheers fellas

Yeah decisions decisions ! I'm going to ring up the firearms department in the morning and just find out what's what ! Don't fancy putting it in the loft then it having to be moved downstairs again ! Thanks for your help guys really appreciate it ! This is a great forum with people who actually want to help the youngsters get involved and keep the passion alive ! Cheers fellas

Best phone them,did just that this morning.Just moved into another house,nowhere in the house so loft was really the only option.The brick walls up there were a tad rough and uneven so not ideal to mount a cabinet so with the agreement of the FEO it was okayed to coach bolt them to the rafters and beams.

Mine is in the loft just as you are planning. Quite funny because when my firearms officer came round he was to big to get in the loft. All he could do was stand on the ladder and stick his head through the hatch. He passed it off with no problem. If you think about it from their point of view its probably safer up there because very few burglars look in the loft as they dont want to hang around inside the house.

Edited by pg123

There is NO legislation that states the cabinet should be fixed to brick or block, it is to be fixed to the FABRIC of the building. That can equally mean timber studs.

Indeed and with the popularity of timber framed housing and ultra efficient insulation blocks and render coating brick walls are long gone!

No problems with it in the loft. Mine is up there. The feo who came to check it happens to be the one who did both my unlces and archie1234 (off here) renewal about 3 weeks previous where she swung off both of their cabinets. However she didn't enter the loft at mine so I think you are on to something with h an s.

However. I regret putting mine up there as it is a ball ache after a long days shooting and when you are trying to get to the marsh at 5am with out waking up my mum !!

there is an issue with it in the loft as the tendancy after a nights lamping is not to bother putting the gun away. Some forces like it less than others but personally its the last place I'd put mine and thats as much to do with access as it is the fact lofts aren't the warmest of places to store expensive guns and they tend to rust

my cabinate is fitted in my bedroom couboard,,i was adviced to sit my cabinate on a breeze block that i cut down to the same width of the cabinate to raise it above the skirting board...also my walls are plaster board with a cavity then therma-light blocks,was adviced to fit threaded bar (used 10mm) into the therma-block with a resin (raw bolts would have just blown the blocks when tightend up),then bolt the cabinate to the threaded bar....

Edited by simjakcal