6.5mm (.264) calibre choice for field use.

henry d

This is for a friend, so I know my choice would be 6.5x55 and do not want any bias, sooooooo my friends what are your thoughts on

• 6.5x55 Swede
  • 6.5-284
  • .260 Remington
  • 6.5 mm Creedmoor
  • 6.5x47mm Lapua
  • 6.5 mm Grendel

Points to consider, he will be reloading, it is MAINLY for red deer not on hills (woodland and open fields), it will also be used once or twice a year punching paper up to 400yds.

Add any other options within the calibre if you desire.

Cheers lads and lasses :good:

This is for a friend, so I know my choice would be 6.5x55 and do not want any bias, sooooooo my friends what are your thoughts on

• 6.5x55 Swede
  • 6.5-284
  • .260 Remington
  • 6.5 mm Creedmoor
  • 6.5x47mm Lapua
  • 6.5 mm Grendel

Points to consider, he will be reloading, it is MAINLY for red deer not on hills (woodland and open fields), it will also be used once or twice a year punching paper up to 400yds.

Add any other options within the calibre if you desire.

Cheers lads and lasses :good:

.260 has now been taken on by Lapua and would be my number 1 choice today in 6.5mm as you also have options to neck up .243 brass. the feed through bolt action rifles is as faultless as all the other .308 deriratives are. 6x47 is pricey brass you do not want to leave it behind when stalking and although it feeds ok is not as good as the former. 6.5 x 55? no hesitations if you want to go factory ammo at times and you have a wider choice of rifles than all the others. I have seen std factory sweedes top the field in competition past 500yds against fancy custom guns of so called better calibres with very experianced shooters while the sweede is in the hands of a newbie. The 6.5-284 which is barrel hungry and as a stalking rifle is beter as an origonal firing a 7mm bullet and still you wouldn't like leaving much brass behind

Theres only one,jack of all trades calibre and master of them all ,yes you guessed it in one ,the mighty .308 . Loaded with a 150 grain soft point bullet pushed with 45 grains of vit 140 ,thats all you need for every thing you want to shoot . Please not the red card .

Harnser .

It may be Friday but.......

yellowCard.jpg

You're not a ref any more, so we're not taking that! :lol::P

I only have experience of the Swede. It's nice and common and better than the .260 with the heavier for calibre bullets. For the use you're suggesting I think the 6.5x55 is the one to go with for ease of finding ammo and components etc. That is of course unless this friend is ever likely to want to shoot abroad for Boar? Unlikely but if so he can't take the Swede to France etc because it's a military calibre, so the .260 would be my next choice.

Theres only one,jack of all trades calibre and master of them all ,yes you guessed it in one ,the mighty .308 . Loaded with a 150 grain soft point bullet pushed with 45 grains of vit 140 ,thats all you need for every thing you want to shoot . Please not the red card .

Harnser .

BaldrefwithRedCard.jpg

You're not a ref any more, so we're not taking that! :lol::P

Oh yes you are :P

That is of course unless this friend is ever likely to want to shoot abroad for Boar?

Nah, he is a `keeper and is unlikely to, just wants to chop in one of his .243`s next year.

Harnser .

Why is it better than the .270? You could load 150 grain for that as well? :good:

ime a big fan of the 6.5-47 always have been, ive shot a lot of reds with the 6-47 no the same but close.

i also like the grendle (ime weird) ive not used it on any thing other than fox and crows but i dare say it would do the job,

however 6.5 is marginal for reds up hear where we are hd they can get bloody big we had one at 20 st last year :blink: :blink: i would bee looking at the 270/30-06/.300

For all those who thing the 6.5 is marginal on reds. Let me tell you i have a friend in Lapland who is a pro guide and he says 6.5mm is the favourite calibre for Moose closely follwed by 30-06. Again and yes i know i say this a lot but its more to do with bullet selection than calibre selection not to mention placement. Just something to think of :good:

Stick a 160gr Norma through the 6.5 and I recon it would drill through most things. If it will do a Moose it will do anything we have here, those things are bloody huge!

I heard a story out in Canada about some poor chap who hit one in his car. Unfortunately for him he'd braked nearly to a stop before he hit it and the Moose wasn't impressed. It smashed his car up! :lol:

Why is it better than the .270? You could load 150 grain for that as well? :good:

Absolutely nothing wrong with the .270 ,I used one for many ,many years . I just think that the .308 is more versatile with the bullets that are available to load . Also the .308 is a little less brutal on the shoulder and not so barky as the .270 at first light in woodland .

Harnser .