Flapper/floater

sutty

Just a quick tip for those who use Flappers and or floaters etc.

To get the dead birds tail to spread, take the outer tail feather, on either side, and carefully slot them over the base of the wing spreaders.

The tail flairs out to give the impresion of a bird landing and also helps hide the Flapper box underneath as well.

Cheers Sutty :angry:

I know this is slightly off topic but I recently read in a shooting magazine that when setting up dead birds in your decoy pattern, don't fan the tail feathers as it is a sign of warning!?! never heard that before anyone else? (Good tip about the floaters/flappers though)

IAS

Off subject...

Sutty, who is that lovely little cherub in your avatar? Looks like an angel has just fallen from heaven. Beautifull.

You had some good news mate?

Col

Its not a self portrait is it Sutty :P:P:P:P

The woodie solely uses his tail feathers as an airbrake, rudder (and what a fantastic rudder it is!), and balancing.

I would fail to see how the tail feathers would act as warning system to other woodies. The only warning system I have seen on a woodie is that outstreched neck and frozen stance. This posture really does grab the attention of other birds.

On a different note, I was on a pea field on Tuesday and a bird caught me by surprise. He was stood in the middle of my pattern and then began to dust himself. I watched him in awe for about a minute when he realised that no one else in the pattern had the energy to move! I simply watched him take to the sky and could not raise my barrells - (soft side coming out). Fantastic!

F150

Colinsri mate.

Thats my Grandaughter, she is 6 weeks old on Sat.

I have to agree she is quite a stunner.

When the picture was taken she was just over a week old, we couldn't get over how alert she was?

(especially at night :good: ).

She has a big sis who's 5 and she's a corker too.

Sorry if i went on a bit ,but i am a tad biased :P:P:drool:

Cheers Sutty :P

PS. Dont tell anyone, as i am supposed to be a roughy toughy type :P:P