muntjac and chinese water deerstalking

Good job to Mick and Jason,

I went down saturday morning for a munty doe and came home with one. :D

We could have shot one nearly as soon as we got out of the motor but that would have been too easy. stalked for around an hour and a half, saw 21 muntjacs and took the 22! Top blokes and I would recommend them to anyone.

Thanks again

Alex :good:

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies for entering this twice but i added post onto a previous add of mine instead of this one.Anyway as per my original post,we are unable 2 stalk at present as we wish 2 give you the maximum opportunity when the cover is down lower and bucks are not in velvet.We therefore will not be stalking till sept-oct.(cwd nov)Please contact me with any enquiries for later in the year(no highseats just a genuine stalking experience on foot with plenty of beasts)

kind regards

Muntjacstalker

• 3 months later...

Dear all,

Had a fabulous morning out with Jason. My cousin who is new to stalking and has listened with unhidden jealousy to my exploits on roe and reds in scotland was badgering me to arrange a muntjac stalking trip near his home in boston, lincolnshire. We have shot together for a couple of years now and in that time he has served his apprenticeship under my wing and he has progressed with his .17hmr on rabbits and hares into a safe and reliable rifleman. i remembered reading the glowing reports on here that jason got so contacted him on here and arranged the trip.

We arrived at jasons in the dark with fingers crossed the weather forcast would be accurate. well sunday dawned dry and bright with very little wind,( the weather gods smiled on us). And as we split up i wished my cousin luck as i climbed into jasons rangey.

We spotted a few deer on the way to the stalking ground and after recieving my instructions on shot placement etc off we went. Classic stalking here as the woods are coming alive and the dawn chorus is in full voice... wonderful stuff! We start our stalk walking slowly and glassing often and it wasn,t long before jason spotted a deer deep in cover, alas too hidden to offer a clean shot so we moved on. A little farther round the wood a buck popped out from the undergrowth and stood quivering looking at us, some 60yds away. As his head went back down to feed i brought the rifle to bear on the sticks and just as i am about to squeeze off the shot he moved and before i could reposition the rifle he was away into the undergrowth.... with the adrenalin thumping i reslung the rifle and we moved on.

We skirted the outside of that wood and carefully made our way onto a new ride and upon glassing the top end a pair of deer are out feeding some 180yds away Woo HOO!!. So we carefully start the stalk. We only went some 30yds before an unseen doe popped out of the undergrowth some 90yds away and made her way to us... She stopped and lowered her head to feed allowing me to bring the rifle to bear, alas she is stood wrong looking straight at us. The crosshairs are thumping now in time with my heartbeat as i bring a measure of control to proceedings and with a calming deep breath watch and wait for her to turn broadside on. After watching for what felt like an hour but was probably less than a minute she turned broadside on and at 60yds your humble scribe made no mistake and a well placed heart and lung shot bowled her into the grass. Woo Hoo!

My first Muntjac, Jason made short work of the gralloch and we headed back for a celebratory cup of tea. Alas no such luck for my cousin who had seen plenty of deer but none had stood for him. So with the muntjac in the bag that is 4 of the 6 species of deer in our fair isle accounted for, Red , fallow, roe and muntjac. We intend to book again with jason in an effort to get my cousin his first deer and myself perhaps one of the Chinese water deer.

Thoroughly recommend jasons set up whether experienced or not, many thanks sir!

P1000384.jpg

P1000387.jpg

• 1 month later...

Went down to Jase place Sunday once again to have a go at the muntys,took one of the farmhands (Sam) with me as he never been stalking before and really wanted to do a stalk.As always good welcome on arrival with Mick as Jase was away i took a nice young buck on the morning stalk and there were plenty of medal heads about in all we spotted around the 30+ mark.The afternoon stalk was Sam turn not so many around 10 wasnt looking like Sam was going to get the shot,as we headed back Mick spotted a doe other side of hedge around 50 yards he set stickcs for Sam give him the nod and crack down she went on the spot what a cracking day we had.Thanks again to Mick and Jase

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok guys,

just to let you know we have a few available dates left for feb and march,mainly weekdays.we wont be then stalking till next october as bucks will lose their antlers in may and the cover will grow rapidly giving us less of a chance especially as we only stalk on foot to give you the ultimate experience.

Stalking this weekend we did a total of 8 stalks producing 7 bucks(clients only requested bucks) so we have plenty about as we do not overstalk our areas.please pm me if you are interested

kind regards

Muntjacstalker

stokie

Members

924 posts

Joined 10-October 06

Posted Yesterday, 07:46 PM

It's time to travel south again for the first of our annual trips to meet up with Jason and Mick in Bedfordshire . After a welcome brew and a bit of banter me and Jase paired up and headed out in his motor a few miles away to some ground with plenty of does on as that was all I was after . I'm not a trophy shooter . I love the thrill of the stalk and to put food on the table .

Donned hat and coat slipped on gloves and loaded up the rifle magazine . We walked between the farm buildings and onto a track into the woods . Within a minute we saw a buck and a doe in the wood beside us . The buck let out a bark and they moved away . We stalked slowly and as quietly as we could , It was frosty and all the leaves on the floor were crisp under foot .

The wood still had quite a lot of standing ferns and bracken which seemed on many occasions to be the silhouette of a deer and made you second glance it almost playing tricks with your eyes . About 70 yards into the wood we saw a nice doe that was going about its business and Jase told me to stalk upto a birch tree infront and take my shot from there . I tiptoed as quitely as i could put out the sticks and rested the rifle on them but I just couldnt see her through the scope because of how thick the wood was . I moved sideways to take another look just as she ambled off into the undergrowth . We saw a few more deer on the ground but Jase chose to move off to some other ground as time was pressing on .

We arrived at another wood close to his house . As we got out of the motor there was a munty grazing with a few squirrels on a wide ride off the track. I loaded up the 243 and we moved forward trying not to spook her . Jase asked me if I was happy with the distance which we had reduced to around 80 yards . Gun back on the sticks and as I looked through the scope I could see that there was another to her left and also one lying under a tree behind her . I waited until she presented herself fully broadside and squeezed off a round she fell on the spot and didn't know what happened . Jase carried her off into the wood to gralloch it was a perfect heart lung shot . To say I was ecstatic is an understatement . Back to the house for a well earned brew .

My mate Spike got back and hadn't been so lucky so Mick took him back out to a spot close to where we had just been . As they got out the motor they saw a buck which had blood on its back legs so the decision was made that he needed to be culled as he was also limping . Spike took the shot and he dropped . They went over to pick him up and it became obvious it had been mauled by a dog as it it bite marks to it back leg and puss coming from a wound on its belly . Which meant this one wasn't for eating but Spike left happy as he took the head for mounting as it was his first medal buck .

Thanks again to both Jason and Mick for a very enjoyable morning see you both soon

Just wanted to say what a great day i had on Monday 18th February and what nice people both Jason and mike are. It was my first stalk and didn't know what to expect and i must say i felt quite nervous. I Arrived at Jasons at 07:15 and was greeted with a cup of coffee and Jason soon put the nerves to the back of my mind. After coffee i had a test shot at a target so i was properly aquainted with the rifle set up. Off we went for the morning stalk and saw alot of activity however a shot did not quite present itself. A short while later a doe presented itself chewing the cud behind a fallen tree with branches just masking the animal for a clear shot. Waiting for what seemed like an hour (however in relatity was probably only a few minutes) the doe who rather patiently waited second in line to a squirrel walked over to a nearby feeder to commence a feed. I could feel my hands start to tremble and my heart beating faster and faster. The shot was taken and the animal dropped on the spot. Jason shook my trembling hand and we both laughed at that fact. Asking Jason if he remembered his first deer his reply was "no but i'll certainly remember yours"!

The Afternoon stalk with Mike proved just as exciting as the morning seeing alot of activity and a number of muntjacs were seen with no safe shot presenting themselves and it was time to call it a day.

What a great day I had and shall definately be returning in future. Thanks very much Jason and Mike you made my first stalk a memorable one.

Louis

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dear all,

Many thanks to all who joined us this season,it was a pleasure to stalk with you all both new and regular clien

our cull is now completed on what again has been another successful season.

A healthy stock of deer is left on the ground so hopefully next season will be similiar.Our last 5 stalks produced one gold cwd,one rep cwd, 1 good rep muntjac buck and a blank for a muntjac doe and one blank on trying to get the client who shot the rep something slightly bigger than the rep requested initially which he had got.

Despite still having plenty of deer on the ground we have to think to next season and with spring imminent(apparently!) in the case of the muntjac they will soon be to well hidden in the undergrowth and we want to give our clients the best possible opportunity for deer stalking( not deer ambush which is sitting in a high seat!) Also bucks will be casting their antlers next month so you will not have a trophy or you could be shooting next years gold medal and have no idea.

We will resume again in october for muntjac and nov for cwd and look forward to seeing our regulars and new clients in the autumn.

Wishing you all a successful summer and once again many thanks to you all and the site admin for all their hard work

kind regards

Muntjacstalker

Edited by muntjacstalker

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...