WHICH camera

Shooting Tom

Both great cameras, but yes, the all important lenses. If you are seriously intending to get into photography and Nikon is your preference, consider the D90 - more money yes, but higher spec and halfway to a full pro-spec. It still has full auto function so you can use it "point and shoot", and the kit lens isn't half bad. There are some bargains to be had whatever you choose. Big retailers like currys/PCworld won't drop the price, but will often throw in a few extras (Case, SD card, extra warranty etc) Also, if you use these retailers and they offer you their extended warranty - check with Nikon, I got their own extended warranty for significantly less than with Currys! Good luck whatever you do. :good:

Edited by Bloke

Between the d3100 and D5k, pick whichever one you can get at the best price. Both are very good cameras. The sensor in the d5k is the same as the D90 which is fantastic. The D3100 is a newer generation, but lower spec, so not terribly different. Neither has a built in focus motor (so you'll need af-s lenses for both) so no difference there. They are nearly the same size and weight, so no difference there. The D5k has the flip out screen and I think better resolution which is kinda nice. Both will have the same modes and consumer features. Both should have the same 18-55VR lens.

It is a coin flip at that point, so keep an eye on camera price buster for specials and deals. The D5k should be clearing out still as the D5100 has been announced, and the D3100 should see some rebates coming in because of Christmas.

Thanks,

Rick

D90 all the way, if you can squeeze out the extra cash, great camera. Never regretted getting it for a minute, good lense quality is essential of course, but you can't beat the d90 for that money I don't think personally. Put a sigma (bigma) 500mm on mine and it's the business if a bit heavy, but I use it for everything. Built in focus motor was a big deal for me. My dads got the d60 and it's great camera just a pain when you want to buy a cheaper lense. He just bought a nikor macro lense and it's very tricky to focus without the internal motor, especially as his hands not as steady as it used to be. Manual focus is a pain at best on fast moving subjects I find.

Edited by B525 Sporter