Where to actually FIND rats

RoBBo

Really Robbo I cant stress enough:

GET PERMISSION!

Not only are you protecting yourself by keeping your a$$ out of court and not having your gun taken from you by plod your protecting air gunning for all of us!

You really need to be responsible and read the air gun law!

If you don't have permission don't shoot there!

Picture the scene mate.

You've chosen a lovely evening to go ratting on the land without permission when someone (maybe someone who's gone to steal fish from the dam) sees you with your air-rifle and thinks your shooting at them.

What will they do?

Probably get on the mobile and call 999 and tell PC Plod that they are taking a nice evening stroll when sone idiot with an air-rifle has taken some shots at them.

What happens next?

Firstly: Panda cars, armed police, helicopters,etc could be on you before you can say 'It wasn't me Gov!"

Secondly: you would get a lot of PW members and other law abiding air-gunners well peed off at you for bringing the name of our hobby into disrepute and given all the anti-airgunners another reason for the argument to ban air-guns!

The solution is quite simple. Find out who the land belongs to and get permission. Even if the land looks abandoned it WILL belong to someone.

Alternatively of cours, you could ignore all of the good advice given to you, but if you choose that option ... pack your suitcase ready to stay at Her Majesty's pleasure in advance.

Does this response sound far fetched to some?

Trust me, it does happen. The land that I work on is sometimes abused by air-gunners hunting rabbits without permission. Once seen our policy is simple. Call the police and ask for the armed response unit to attend. And they have!

robbo please listen to the guys, people call the police all the time, even when you done nowt wrong.

i was out last summer on land i DO have permission to shoot, i was on my way home after a few hours hunting with an aa prosport.22 when i saw a couple of young lads about 16 years old,who live in my street, the were sitting on a fence about 40 yards inside the boundry of the farm i shoot on, the were asking what i'd shot etc when suddenly i heard a helicopter coming in low and fast, how suprised i was when it banked hard and started circling me, door open with a copper hanging out, next thing i know half of durhams police force has surrounded me, you ever looked down the barrel of a loaded h&k mp5? i have and its not nice, there were four armed officers coming from the front and a further four from behind, i was made to put my hands on my head and slowly approach the police, i was then very roughly searched and man handled and still held at gunpoint,, the coppers were on pure adrenalin and saying things like "dont you ******* move boy", i was bundled into a squad car. they asked what i was doing there and i explained that i had permission and told them to contact the farmer and gave his address, they didnt seem to beleive me and said a report had been made that there was a man in a feild with a shotgun holding kids hostage, i was arrested on suspision of possesing a firearm with intent to cause fear or harm, i was in the cells for 8 hours then released on bail, they had checked with the farmer but needed more evidence they said, thats why i was bailed, it took a month for the charges to be dropped and a further 6 months to get the gun back,

it turned out that a lady in a house 300 yards away had seen me in the fields with a gun, she got out some binoculars and noted i had a mask on and was wearing combats, she then saw me "creeping along the hedge towards the young boys" thats what she told the cops, as it happens when i was stalking and wearing my mask i was unaware the lads were even there but from where she was she could see the lads further along the hedgerow and me heading towards them,

im sorry for the length of this post but i couldnt get the point across anyother way.

all this happened 1 week after the police shot that lad in the tube station in london so that was fresh in my mind and to say i **** myself would be an understatement,

now just imagine if i hadnt of had permission

robbo please listen to the guys, people call the police all the time, even when you done nowt wrong.

i was out last summer on land i DO have permission to shoot, i was on my way home after a few hours hunting with an aa prosport.22 when i saw a couple of young lads about 16 years old,who live in my street, the were sitting on a fence about 40 yards inside the boundry of the farm i shoot on, the were asking what i'd shot etc when suddenly i heard a helicopter coming in low and fast, how suprised i was when it banked hard and started circling me, door open with a copper hanging out, next thing i know half of durhams police force has surrounded me, you ever looked down the barrel of a loaded h&k mp5? i have and its not nice, there were four armed officers coming from the front and a further four from behind, i was made to put my hands on my head and slowly approach the police, i was then very roughly searched and man handled and still held at gunpoint,, the coppers were on pure adrenalin and saying things like "dont you ******* move boy", i was bundled into a squad car. they asked what i was doing there and i explained that i had permission and told them to contact the farmer and gave his address, they didnt seem to beleive me and said a report had been made that there was a man in a feild with a shotgun holding kids hostage, i was arrested on suspision of possesing a firearm with intent to cause fear or harm, i was in the cells for 8 hours then released on bail, they had checked with the farmer but needed more evidence they said, thats why i was bailed, it took a month for the charges to be dropped and a further 6 months to get the gun back,

it turned out that a lady in a house 300 yards away had seen me in the fields with a gun, she got out some binoculars and noted i had a mask on and was wearing combats, she then saw me "creeping along the hedge towards the young boys" thats what she told the cops, as it happens when i was stalking and wearing my mask i was unaware the lads were even there but from where she was she could see the lads further along the hedgerow and me heading towards them,

im sorry for the length of this post but i couldnt get the point across anyother way.

all this happened 1 week after the police shot that lad in the tube station in london so that was fresh in my mind and to say i **** myself would be an understatement,

**** me. Now that's a bad days shooting. You can however see how it all goes off - over zealous coppers who are well up for it and who are acting on bad intelligence or no intelligence, nosey old bags with iffy eyesight and someone cammo'd up and in possession of a shooter.

Lucky you didn't get plugged / weren't from Brazil.

Colin, could you email me that permission slip / bit of paper - they should probably pin it to one of the boards here.

so for killing long range round head is the best bet ? which will cause the most damage and has more chance of a kill at 30 yards out of the .22 available pellets im going buying some tommorrow and it would be nice to know what i was looking for

i would use round heads for all round shooting (targets, all hunting) pointed are for low powered air rifles and tend not to be as accurate as round head. Go for round head and if you are going to be hunting get good quality pellets! no smk or other ****!

:good: found some great new pellets in .22, 'bsa interceptor' hollowpoint. around £5 for a tin of 500, quality control is excellent & consistent, go through most barrels with no problem & they stay on target every time. worth looking at & i would personally highly reccommend them to anyone, i'm just waiting for my local to get some .177 in... :good:

:good: it could have been much worse - as the kids were tresspassing themselves, they could have been shot & you may not have known... meanwhile, an observant witnesss 300 yards away....... :good:

Robbo mate,

Good advice given in the last posts, take it , if not for you then for the rest of the Airgun community.

As for gaining permmision, if there are fish/ Dam etc etc, try contacting the Enviroment agency,

fisheries dept.

(The PO will have their tel No)

They would most likely know who's land it is , it may even poss be there's.

Good luck Sutty :good:

Likewise, I have also been stopped by plod.........twice in a week, some bloke over the road from the field where I shoot called em in.

And they were on me in the field within 10 mins of me stepping foot in it.........

If you shoot somewhere without permission, then your an idiot, plain and simple.

Hopefuly you will take heed of the advice given. If not, then I hope you get caught.

Get around the local farms in your area, Dairy farms etc, pig farms, even chicken farms are going to be a good bet for ratty problems, yep you will get knocked back on a few of them. But I would say that you have got about a 1 in 15 chance of finding somewhere...

I have been out on 3 decent knocking runs, covering about 12 farms and got permission on a fair decent bit of land from one farmer. People seem to think that land just falls in your hands or want to take advantage of those that have done the ground work.

Fair enough, its a bit like door to door sales, giving that door a knock and hoping that you will get an "in".

Get your "opening statement" sorted, smile when they open the door, introduce yourself then get the conversation going......

the best places to find rats are on pig farms ,large chicking farms ,and on tips ..pig farms are your best chance as the tips wont let you on unless you know the gaffer :good: when you go round at night with a small lamp just so you casn make them out at 20ft is best as they will sit a bit longer for you to get a shot at them ,,were ever you see a rat or rats ,thats the place to put the bait down its got to be so big it can not drag it off or so small like grain it has to stay to eat it ,we use the farmers grain :blink: fill your pockets with the stuff and bait up around the farm as you go round by the time you have gone back to the first place baited you should have a rat feeding ,they have really good noses and will find it ..you want at least 8 baited places and dont rush round only turning on your lamp when you have the gun raised and you are ready to fire ,,dont take all day about fireing you gun the faster you are the better dont go for head shots unless you know they aint botherd about the lamp but if you miss one it will know the second time what your all about they aint that daft that why there so many off the things :lol: when we go we take a terrier of some type the last time we went was last week got 29 rats 9 to the dog and the other 20 i shot, some close up running shots i just poited the gun without looking down the barrel bit like a shot gun i got over ten this way ,point and pull ;) if you do take the dog make sure you both know that its one shot only then let the dog go ..its really good fun in fact i could do it every night and im 46yrs old :good:

Edited by ROB REYNOLDS UK