Rifle calibres........confused

esox

Hi all, i am totally confused about rifle calibres.......HMR,WMR & LR whats the difference and what are they suitable for ??? also .22,.17,hornet ect ect again whats the difference and what are they suitable for.....maybe someone could post a link ????. Thanks in advance.

There's a huge amount to take in if you try to work out all the different calibres and cartridges. I assume you're asking because you want to apply for a FAC but don't know what to ask for? Or are you just interested?

If you want a good read go out and buy a copy of Cartridges Of The World. That lists pretty much all the available calibres.... It's a big book! :good:

Hi all, i am totally confused about rifle calibres.......HMR,WMR & LR whats the difference and what are they suitable for ??? also .22,.17,hornet ect ect again whats the difference and what are they suitable for.....maybe someone could post a link ????. Thanks in advance.

To answer thats gonna be one heck of a lot of type. Buy the book :good:

I was like that, the more you read the more sense it starts to make. We are stuck with a daft system with a mixture of metric and imperial and deciding if a .308 is larger or smaller than a 30-06 isn't straightforward.

If you are wanting to apply for your FAC what do you want to shoot? My take on it (and everyone is different) was to stick to common calibres. You have a bigger choice of guns and ammo.

For bunnies you'll not go wrong with .22LR and .17HMR.

There's some interesting kit in that book! Some interesting comments on some of the calibres too. It's amazing how a small time manufacturer can file a calibre and then a big company out of the blue files one that's exactly the same very soon after and names it the .260 Remington! If I remember right it should have been an A-Square apparently?

There's some interesting kit in that book! Some interesting comments on some of the calibres too. It's amazing how a small time manufacturer can file a calibre and then a big company out of the blue files one that's exactly the same very soon after and names it the .260 Remington! If I remember right it should have been an A-Square apparently?

Find any factory adopted wildcat and you will also find a stack of people saying it was thier idea, especially one as simple as this