SX3 Blows primer's out of spent shell!

DJLeslie

As title, My mates SX3 (it's the 5 shot camo one) seems to blow the primer out while

cycling the spent cartridge. This doesn't seem to affect performance or cycling untill

from time to time the loose primers get stuck in behind the bolt. All we can think

of is that the bolt is coming back too early and while the pressure is still in the

chamber without the bolt face tight to the cart it forces it's way back through the

primer?? Has anyone heard of this before with an auto or had it happen to there's?

Hope this makes sense!

Darren.

As title, My mates SX3 (it's the 5 shot camo one) seems to blow the primer out while

cycling the spent cartridge. This doesn't seem to affect performance or cycling untill

from time to time the loose primers get stuck in behind the bolt. All we can think

of is that the bolt is coming back too early and while the pressure is still in the

chamber without the bolt face tight to the cart it forces it's way back through the

primer?? Has anyone heard of this before with an auto or had it happen to there's?

Hope this makes sense!

Darren.

Yes i think your correct, i have never had this but have had a few flames when the gun was new with heavy stuff. It could also be a faulty pin, check it for shape

ive had this on my browning fusion while firing a batch of old fibre wad carts (when i say old i mean 25 years old that had been sat in a garage)

ive also had it once when i shot a load of lyvale sporters, again fibre wad.

i have since only shot gamebore 28 and 30 gram fibre carts for a while now. for no other reason as they were the right price at the time and havent had this issue since.

Are these reloads :hmm:

No not homeloads. Although it's a 5 shot he puts in the restricter plug and wildfowls with it

and as we're in scotland and all our shooting is goose shooting over stubble it's mostly 50g No 3 lead shot we use.

Either Gamebore Mammoth or Fiocchi.

I belive it does it with clay loads too.

Me thinks Paul223 is on the right track here. I would change cartridges & try to see whether the fault is with the gun or the cartridges. Could be the later and the primers are not a tight enough fit. If its the gun I would be back tapping on the sellers door, you wont have a reliable gun with loose primers rolling around in the trigger mechanism, and it borders on being bloody dangerous. Try the suspect batch of cartridges in another auto, if the fault is repeated you`ve got your answer.

Me thinks Paul223 is on the right track here. I would change cartridges & try to see whether the fault is with the gun or the cartridges. Could be the later and the primers are not a tight enough fit. If its the gun I would be back tapping on the sellers door, you wont have a reliable gun with loose primers rolling around in the trigger mechanism, and it borders on being bloody dangerous. Try the suspect batch of cartridges in another auto, if the fault is repeated you`ve got your answer.

It's not the carts as we all use the same ones and it happens with different brands. The three of us who

go shooting all have SX3s. Two of us have the 3" walnut feild version 28" barrels, no problems. His is the only 3 1/2"

30" barrel so could be a difference in the chamber. Even so it should be able to cope with 3" loads effortless.

Either way doesn't seem to be a common problem so a trip back to Browning Int for it is needed me thinks!

• 2 weeks later...