A weird one !!

mad1

evenin all a quick question . I have just been out with my son and picked a bag full of conkers for him to play with ( not at school though h+s gone mad) what's the best way to harden them - it's been a while since I played with them and can't remember how to cheat :lol: Any suggestions or advice taken :good:

well you can soak them in vinegar for a couple of days.. that made them like concrete !

OR

This is the way i did it and i never lost.

Soak it in vinegar for about 20mins then let it dry.

Put it in the oven for 10minutes and as soon as it comes out, soak it in clear nail polish (in a dish) and the heat absorbing the nail polish makes it solid.

Leave it for at least 3 hours. Put it back in the oven but only for a few minutes on a hot oven.

Leave to cool and when the nail polish is quite firm, put it in the freezer overnight.

swing...swing....SMASH!!

I heard so many theories i decided to try them all on the same conker! :lol::good:

Edited by semiautolee

Spiders are supposed to dislike conkers or the aroma they give off. Companys sell aerosols of conker essence for about 5 stripes per can to spray around your doors. :blink: from Auntie.

:good: thats the one, thought it was a load of rubbish but we were getting huge things a couple weeks back but since put the conkers about not one :good:

Best method for me was to drill them first with my dad's double pinion hand drill (remember them?) and then bake on a very low heat for a couple of hours. As it was my dad's drill, my mate had to hold the conker with his finger tips while I did the honours :oops: . I wonder if he still has the scar...? :lol:

Never had much success with the vinegar method.

Always fancied drilling a fresh one, then picking out the middle with a wire hook and refill with epoxy resin. It's a real cheat, of course, but it could be the ultimate conker.

My brother is 16 years older than me. When I was about 8 I found a bag of conkers in the corner of a cupboard that he had collected as a kid. So these were anywhere between 12 and 16 years old. They were absolutely rock hard. A bit wrinkled but rock hard. That year I became the Cub Scout Essex Conker champion. :yes:

So you could wait 10 years but your son might have grown out of it by then.