Attack of the Magpies!

Theskyfox

Hi all, recently I thought I had cleared the area of magpies as they had been attacking birds etc as they do.

Just when I thought it was all clear, at 7am this morning I heard a "chaka chaka" outside and then Lots of loud maggie noises. I went outside to investigate and had shear horror to see not 1, not 2, not 3 but.......14! yes 14!!!!!!! Maggies outside. There were at least 6 on the aerial, and the rest were on the roof jumping around. There were two adults, and the rest were young. I couldnt do anything but watch in my pyjamas :good: You can see why theyre on the DEFRA licence. Any one else had this kinda thing before?

-Andrew

I've seen it a couple of times (large group of Magpies).The first time was last year, when I had put out a decoy, to try and get one down to shoot, 8 or 10 then arrived within half an hour, sat on the house roof over the road, and squawked for 10 minutes before flying off.I couldnt shoot them then, which was rather annoying.

Then around 2 weeks ago, there was a lot of squawking, with at least 10 of them around 70 yards away on another roof.This surprised me, as I've done a pretty good job in culling them in the last year - I didnt see one locally between October and February.I did get one of them that time, as they eventually spread out, and one landed on my tree.They all disappeared, apart from one that sat looking down on the body.I couldnt get that as he was on the neighbours roof.

Alan.

:good: i have a very LARGE back yard filled with tree's and there is a nest of magpies there i see them jumping around in the tree's and OMG i did'nt know they eat things from other nests i could of killed loads but i dont know anything about birds or what they eat im a newbie so shall i kill the little ***** ?

yes kill the little ******* and kill them gd they are prolly the worst for that they steal all the eggs and the young chics outa nest such as the song birds just take um out humane or not i honestly couldnt care when it comes to magpies

luke :good::good:

lol cool an excuse to blow there heads of i see them ALL the time but never shot 1 because i knew nothing about them there is a nest right at the top of a tall tree at the back of the yard about 25 yards down the garden and i see them jumping around that nest in the tree's so i dont know if its there nest or if the little ***** are taking things from it , anyway they shall be terminated when i get home

Did a blackbirds nest in my garden last year.....********....My litte daughter was gutted.....

Need to pull a few down on some splitties....got enough baby wabbits to bag so they will make nice splitties.....

Have to go over tomorrow to try and get a couple....

Hmmm...Yeah, so far ive managed to get a total of two...which I guess is as good a start as any. The trouble is getting them to land. Im gonna give it a go with some Decoys. I noticed the other day that they like to steal the mealworms that we have put out for the robins and bluetits....maybe this could be rather useful. They do seem to have rather random times of popping out. If I have trouble contolling them, then I may use a larsen trap as a last resort, but I don't think its very sporting :lol: lol. Cheers for all input so far :yp:

-Andrew

p.s. In defense about the pyjamas...I was wearing a T-shirt and pyjama trousers lol. So not a full set of Pj's lol.

hi guys , yesterday i put out a full chicken lol in my garden (left overs) but still a full bird and sat 20 yards back in my window it did'nt take long for 1 to come over i aimed and shot it with my .22 gamo cfx and it didnt take it down :yp: i did'nt hit it in a very gd spot though at the bottom of its wing but they did'nt come back then all day but there back so i'l have the little **** , but have any of you guys had trouble putting them down with the 1st shot ?

Hmmm in terms of Robustness, it doesnt take much to bring a maggie down. It was probably just a badly placed shot, if you aim for the head or chest they should go down first time. I must add that both times Ive taken them down, they went down first time but were still alive and had to be finished off. When hit, they just froze in position on the floor. I would check your sights matey, Im sure you'll get them next time. Also worth noting that theyre not stupid birds, now that you've shot at them you will probably need to hide yourself out of sight before they will come down again (improvise, you can use anything like beanbags, sofas etc to hide behind).

-Andrew

Guys,

Maggies may be at the top of everybodies vermin list but we still need to be humane. When using an air rifle head shots are most definately the preferred option. The last thing the shooting community needs is for the antis to get hold of a winged maggie (remember they don't believe that maggies raid nests) as ammo for their hate campaign. Kill them, as many as you can (maggies NOT antis :):yes: ).......just do it HUMANELY.

P03

incase u dnt realise not every one such as robbo dosent allways hit were u want it to and we do kill them stragiht away if u have a badly placed shot and it goes down u go after it and finish it off wid eaither a close shot to the head or brake its neck dnt try this if u dnt know what ur doing though

so what u just said is a load of **** basically

cheers luke