17 rem or 22 hornet?

Wanting to get a small calibre centre fire for longer range varmints and foxing, getting a 243 and I've got an HMR which is ok, but useless out to the ranges I want it for, want something in the middle of the 2, so what would you choose, can you give me some help, I've used a hornet and 2 of my mates have one, I will be getting into reloading, so if I got this i could re load for all of us!

But I like the idea of the 17 rem as it is fast, but I don't really know much about it!

Edited by 12borejimbo

Wanting to get a small calibre centre fire for longer range varmints and foxing, getting a 243 and I've got an HMR which is ok, but useless out to the ranges I want it for, want something in the middle of the 2, so what would you choose, can you give me some help, I've used a hornet and 2 of my mates have one, I will be getting into reloading, so if I got this i could re load for all of us!

But I like the idea of the 17 rem as it is fast, but I don't really know much about it!

fast is as fast does the hornet will replace the hmr and be very usuable to 200 yds or so from there on the .243 will do as good a job as anything. burning 1/4 of the powder of the .243 means very easy to moderate and very cheap to re-load( its half the powder of a .222) i doubt you can burn one out in a life time,they don't get hot and clean very easy why have a fast small calibre when you have a fast 6mm anyhow that balistically and terminally will kick the butt of any .22 cf or .17. As for .17 cal anything i won't have one in the house again as i cannot see the point but am very taken by the std .22 hornet

to be honest you are getting the best caliber the 243,you can load it up or down from a 58gr to a 90gr,as its been said will out perform any of the smaller calibers

yes it will burn more powder,but look at it another way if you already have (or buying one) you need to spend another £1000 plus on another rifle and scope

that £1000 will buy a lot of powder and bullets for many years,which mean 1 good rifle with 1 good scope combo,the more you shoot the one rifle the more you will used to it,if you fry the barrel in a few years have another one fitted,which will still work out cheaper than running 2 different calibers

a 243 with 65gr to 75gr pill will do anything you ask of it

I did go through the same dilama a couple of years ago I ws going to have built a 20 cal of some kind,when I actually thought about it,the idea didnt stack up,so I stayed a 1 varmint rifle man (plus rimfire of course you cant be without one of them)

Sound advice from all.I have a 17hmr good tool,a 243 covers every aspect and for dropping mr fox I recon no higher than 70gr b/t.I needed something quieter,lighter yet just as capable at shorter range (150-200 yrd) so I opted for 22 hornet.Recieved plenty of advice and almost opted for 223 or 222 these may also suit you if an inbetween calibre is required.Your 243 will cover all the bases so you could try it out then if the need arises maybe look into hornet etc.I'm not too sure but are 17rem prone to shift around in wind?? :hmm:

Powder amount burnt is more about ease of moderation, added advantages are easy cleaning and long barrel life, almost total lack of barrel heat up, reduction in recoil etc. IF you load its about 700 rounds from a tub rather than less than 200 :good: Consider the .243" has a life of say 1500 rounds and a new tube is gonna set you back near as much as an entire Hornet rifle brand new. If you shoot a lot this is important economics

I like the .243 a lot but as a rabbit and hare rifle it stinks, its more about fox and deer. The hornet is a good Rabbit, hare and fox gun. There are many areas were 200 yds is a long shot and quiet discresion is highly valued. It has to be said a well moderated Hornet more often as not will not be audible at 100 yds or so the .243 even with a honking great moderator can bring in the curious from 1/2 mile away at times :rolleyes: If you think that not an issue try sitting on an earth for a few hours shooting the first cub then having a neighbour turn out for a look see with a quad + trailer or shooting a fox near people in thier beds

Powder amount burnt is more about ease of moderation, added advantages are easy cleaning and long barrel life, almost total lack of barrel heat up, reduction in recoil etc. IF you load its about 700 rounds from a tub rather than less than 200 :good: Consider the .243" has a life of say 1500 rounds and a new tube is gonna set you back near as much as an entire Hornet rifle brand new. If you shoot a lot this is important economics

I like the .243 a lot but as a rabbit and hare rifle it stinks, its more about fox and deer. The hornet is a good Rabbit, hare and fox gun. There are many areas were 200 yds is a long shot and quiet discresion is highly valued. It has to be said a well moderated Hornet more often as not will not be audible at 100 yds or so the .243 even with a honking great moderator can bring in the curious from 1/2 mile away at times :rolleyes: If you think that not an issue try sitting on an earth for a few hours shooting the first cub then having a neighbour turn out for a look see with a quad + trailer or shooting a fox near people in thier beds

everyone has an opinion :rolleyes: but I can safley say the 243 makes an amazing long range (400 yard plus) rabbit and hare caliber,yes the barrel may and I say may last 1500 rounds (not seen this yet) but you dont drive a sports car on remoulds :lol:

you dont need a "honking great moderator" the third eye tactical sparten does the job great.

what is one suspose to do carry 3 different calibers in case of noise :hmm: noise comes with C/F shooting

remember you can always "down load" the 243 if your too tight to buy powder :no:

If I read your post correctly you wanted some info on the .17 Rem. It is a fantastic little cal. You cannot even compare a .17 Remington with the .17 HMR they are worlds apart in performance. It will out distance the Hornet by at least 100 yds and the 2 I had would both shoot under .5 at 100 yds. with 25 Hornady's and 4320 powder. They are an honest 300 yd gun on Coyotes and probably 350 on fox as they are a little easier to kill. Most people that bad mouth the .17 have never owned one, I hear all the time about needing to clean the barrel every 10 rounds and 1500 round bore life. All rubbish. Visit Varmint Als eclectic web site for the real scoop on the .17 Remington.

17 rem is superb but it is sensitive to small powder / seating depth changes. I would offer the opinion that it is not for a beginner to reloading.

Hornet 222 223 all make easy reloading!

some sound advice above fella.

i had 22lr with a 17hmr and then a 243,

i then went to a 6mm br and to fill that wee slot in the middle of the 17 to the 6mm br i slotted in a 20 tactical (posh 204) never looked back, when out now with just the 20 i can do all the rabbits i want and fox's, keeping the shot count down on the 6mm br and saving money as im not shooting the sako quad 17hmr.

the most used rifle in the cabinet is the 20 tac then the 6mm br

and

then the 17 that i may be selling soon followed by the 22lr that never sees the light of day, (that maybe up for grabs soon too) to fund a NV project

bob.

Edited by scotland rifles

I have used a 17 Remington for quite a while now. Its currently on its third barrel. Up to a point I agree with Coyotemaster. The .17 Rem has had some bad press over the years. It is a surprisingly effective round considering it uses bullets in the 20-30gr range. However in the UK it is an expensive proposition. Ammunition if you can find it is insanely expensive. Bullets are as expensive as 223 calibre stuff and less readily available. Brass is a lot more expensive than comparable rounds as are dies and cleaning equipment. I love my 17. The lack of recoil and the amazing velocity for me are worth the expense but your mileage may vary.