Decent centrefire variable scope

Dunkield

OK the time has come for me to look for a decent variable/zoom sope for my .223.

I have an 8x56 S&B on it at the mo' and that is fine, but I just fancy that bit of extra magnification - old age probably :good:

I am thinking up to 12 times and with a mil dot if poss.

I have had a quick look at S&B, Zeiss, Swarovski and Leupold.

What do you use, or have you tried that impressed you?

Budget is 'sensible' but not 'unlimited' BTW - so that discounts Nightforces...

Hi Stuart

Are you sure you want the extra magnification ?..............Or would a finer cross air solve your problem !..As you well know I have the same scope and the cross air is could be be alot finer but then I suppose it's designed for larger species like Deer as opposed to foxes ..........I certainley could tighten my zeroing groups up that's for sure as was the case when my previous Simmons Pro Air was on the .223 .Twilight capabilities of the 8 x 56 S/B are second to none though and thats when I do most of my shoooting :good: So what is the most type of shooting that you'll be doing mate ?

Leupold have a range of nice crossairs so I would start looking at them ..........Even with variable power i don't use the zoom . :good:

Stuart,

I have a Swaro 2.5-10 x 42, 30mm tube, on my .243, and it really is the mutts danglies.

Brilliant in daylight, dawn/dusk, lamping. Fantastic optics as you'd expect from Swaro.

Pity I couldn't afford a second one for the .270......

PM me if you want to see it in action in the field. You're not too far from me.

Thanks for the replies, and thanks for the offer Browning, much appreciated :good:

Yes Ive, you and I know the cross hairs on the S&B and pretty thick, which are great for low light shoting but it means they obscure small targets. The original idea of the gun/scope was for a bit of fox work (which didn't amount to much but may do in the future) and to have something a bit cheaper to use than the 6.5 on the odd range day. The 8x56 came along at exactly the right time so I went for that.

So I am looking at something that I can use out to say, 300yrds max, and to use to practice with as and when I do it.

I would like to hear back from HD how he goes with his Meopta, as I have a fixed mag on my rimfire and realy rate it, but I know of a couple of users of their variables that weren't happy bunnies at all.

All of the scopes suggested so far are top quality, so obviously the prices reflect that, but does anyone know why the Zeiss Conquest scopes are so much 'cheaper' than the S&B and Swaro's? I have never used one, but I have a pair of their bino's and they are truely awesome, so I can only assume their scopes are very good as well :good:

I bought an expensive Leupold 6-24 x 30 scope to put on my first 0.223.

The logic being that I could hopefully use an 18 mag or so to increase accuracy.

I sold it within 4 months.

The problem was that the crosshairs in the centre were so fine that at night I really struggled to see the crosshairs at all.

I then changed to the 2.5-10 x 56 Swaro. If there is anything wrong with this it is that perhaps I should have gone for a slightly higher 12 mag. The reason that I bought the 2.5-10 x 56 was that I thought that the 56 mm lens would have a better light pick-up than the 4-12 x 50 Swaro.

Would it - I don't know as I haven't tried the 4-12 x 50 unit.

All I know is that in practice I have not had any problems shooting foxes at night up to 200 yards. I don't shoot further than this at night anyway.

Hope this helps.

Don

I USE A LEUPOLD 4.5-14X40 MARK 4 ON MY .223 THIS IS A VERY GOOD CLEAR SCOPE AND SPOT ON IN THE DARK UNDER A LAMP ITS BEEN ON FOR 9 MONTHS KNOW AND WOULD NOT CHANGE IT FOR ANY OTHER SCOPE .VERY CLEAR OPTICS WITH ENOUGH MAG TO ZERO WELL AT 200 YRDS BUT I MUST ADMIT I ONLY USE IT ON 8X WHEN HUNTING . I HAD A MEOPTA 7X50 BEFORE AND THAT WAS A SUPERB SCOPE . :yp:

Well I have it down to 2, more news tomorow - fingers crossed

I have shot a 375 H&H, they are quite something, what the hell do you shoot with that? plains game I guess?

If those scopes can handle that recoil then that is an advert for them :yp:

I have shot a 375 H&H, they are quite something, what the hell do you shoot with that? plains game I guess?

I bought it for a Sambar deer and Buffalo rifle but I guess that you could sort of say that I use it on plains game. :yp:

bunny375.jpg

I bought it for a Sambar deer and Buffalo rifle but I guess that you could sort of say that I use it on plains game. :lol:

:yp:

Well I guess they are very dead :yp:

I bought it for a Sambar deer and Buffalo rifle but I guess that you could sort of say that I use it on plains game. ???

;)

Well I guess they are very dead :lol:

Just a tiny bit. :yp: :D:D

Theirs only one scope in the world that is best in my opinion and that is the Schmidt & Bender Bender :yp: ???

ive got a nikon monarch on my .243. its 5.5-16.5 x 42. very nice scope and for the price £245 you'd be hard pushed to match it. Apparently the performance falls between a vx11 and a vx111 but i havnt got any practical expieriance of this. I trawled the american varminting and target shooting forums before choosing and it seems that for the cash this was the best option.

pete

Well, thanks for all the ideas and views boys, most useful and informative as ever.

I had it petty well narrowed down to the Scmidt, but then...

A Swarovski caught my eye, I wasn't even looking for one but it sort of found me.

So with any luck, in a day or so I should get my 4-16x50 Swaro.

And then the worse bit - <another> £60 for set of bloody scope rings :)

Anyone looking for a quality scope may be interested to know that FA Andersons are doing Scmidt & Bender 3-12x50 30mm in all 3 reticles for 'only' £595! they only have 50 at that price, and that is £90 less than anywhere else in the UK I could find - so grab yourself a deal while you can :yes:

andersons are the shop when it comes to buying good optics, its where my old man buys most of his optics, they have very competitive prices and are very helpful when it comes to trying to choose what to get.

also a very nice pair of chaps in there, enjoy visting that shop, and they cut good deals.

I have just bought a Swarovski 6-24x50 with a 30 mm tube. Amazing piece of kit. You won't be disappointed :no:

BJ (did I really just say that!)

I got the Swarovski and from what I can tell it IS the absolute dogs :good:

It's 'as new' secondhand and it was 'only' £590 - gulp.

Unfortunately I ordered a set of Warne rings in medium thing they would be <just> high enough, well they were, it cleared the barrel by about 1mm.

So I spent about and hour carefully aligning every thing and taping up the rings - then I tried to slide the bolt in :good::lol::lol:

So they have gone back in exchange for set of highs :good: