First Sika

Reload

Hi all, I passed my DSC 1 this morning, went for a stalk this evening and this 8 point Sika Stag turned up... I thought I was gonna get a pricket, but out of nowhere this beast arrived throwing his weight around. (Which incidently was 114lb with the head and legs removed.)

He teased me for a short while, then presented a perfect heart and lung shot. 150yds with my Tikka .243. :D

th_8pointSika.jpg

What a day!

Well Done :good:

What encompases the level one test? I know there is a shooting bit at a target. Is the test written or online? Am I also correct in thinking they evaluate your safety over a few scenarios? i.e. would you shoot or not,(if that makes sense?).

The written tests are all multiple choice so they are quite easy if you revise beforehand. The rest is as you say a shooting test and then you go on a simulated stalk while the instructor asks you safe or not and you explain why. :good:

What encompases the level one test? I know there is a shooting bit at a target. Is the test written or online? Am I also correct in thinking they evaluate your safety over a few scenarios? i.e. would you shoot or not,(if that makes sense?).

Pretty much as Luckyshot says. It is an entry level course, so you can take it without ever having an FAC or indeed been stalking. It compises of 5 elements, 2 of which you know. (shooting and the simulated stalk.) There is a visual id assessment, meat hygine assessment, which is a multi choice paper, and another muti choice paper comprising of general deer questions.

Take a look at the BASC website for futher info and course dates.

Pretty much as Luckyshot says. It is an entry level course, so you can take it without ever having an FAC or indeed been stalking. It compises of 5 elements, 2 of which you know. (shooting and the simulated stalk.) There is a visual id assessment, meat hygine assessment, which is a multi choice paper, and another muti choice paper comprising of general deer questions.

Take a look at the BASC website for futher info and course dates.

Thanks! The meat hygiene sounds tricky :oops:

Well done. How far did the stag run ??

He ran about 60yds. The funny thing was, he took off left then turned and came back to fall where I had shot him. :o Quite strange. But you have to respect the beast, the 100gr hollow point .243 had gone straight through the chest cavity ripping through the lungs and major blood vessels.

Thanks! The meat hygiene sounds tricky :oops:

No, not really that difficult. That module is pretty much common dog. When you do the course you get a training manual with all the possible questions in it. The meat hygiene multi guess paper is 40 questions out of a bank of 205. The pass mark is 80% so 32 out of 40.

Plus there are a few sites on the net with some very good revision content. Google is your friend here...