SGC Background Checks

PatK100

If thats the case how come it takes so long to process an application ?

Because they don't just process SGC applications, on top of that this year has a massive amount of renewals, countrywide, I imagine they'll prioritise that over new grants too.

I recently got an RFD. It's a bit like jumping through a burning hoop backwards whilst wrestling a bear and it took 8 weeks. Getting to know the 2006/7 VCR act and the 1968 firearms act took another 12 weeks(ish). Tripped over once and got slapped for it. But all in all I spend most of my days with guns, not too bad.

Here you go........

a) Checks required on applicant;

• PNC/CRO.

• DVLA, (where concern dictates this is appropriate).

• Criminal Intelligence.

• Domestic Violence/Child Abuse, (where there is some cause for concern which dictates this as appropriate).

• Complaints and Discipline(where there is some cause for concern which dictates this as appropriate).

• Special Branch (where there is some cause for concern which dictates this as appropriate).

• Checks should also be made with any other area within the force which may hold information in respect of the applicant.

• Check of firearms department files for any information about the applicant (e.g. firearms file/previous revocation/refusal etc.) and for any additional information held elsewhere.

• Consider character and third parties (family, friends, associates, other residents) and where appropriate conduct PNC/CRO and criminal intelligence checks. Considerable care must be taken when conducting these checks as there is likely to be an infringement of Article 8 of the ECHR. The Family, Friends and Associates of the individual applying have a right to respect for their privacy and family life and Firearms legislation makes no provision for this right in respect of these persons to be interfered with. Any such interference must be shown to be necessary in the interests of public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, or the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.

c) Check GP (if reason to do so - this may be conducted by the Force Medical Officer seeking a Confidential report after which a recommendation is made to the Firearms Licensing Officer.

Speeding offences are declarable 99.9% sure that parking fines are not- best thing to do is ring the relevant office and ask, they will not mind. My mrs has been a referee for several SGC holders ( ah the joys of being a "proper" person) and they have spoken to her on all of the renewals.

One conversation went along the lines of

"So- this ******* ****** is he a good old boy"- "yes" was the reply- "fine we'll pass him then", "Thanks and goodbye".

Short and sweet