Going decoying tmoro for the 1st time

Stratts

Hi chaps I've got tmoro afternoon off work and am going decoying with my shottie for the 1st time.

I have collected the following and have read up on patterns, wind, hide placement, etc.

A hide net and poles

12 decoys and pegs

A few frozen dead birds from airgunning

Rotary

Camo gear and scrim for covering my face

Oh and a gun and shells!! :lol:

Couple of questions

How do you attach dead birds to the rotary arms? Thought about black tie wraps but are pigeons likely to see summits up?

Shall I put out a few thawed birds with the decoys from the off propped on pegs?

What crops are likely to give best results to decoy on this time of year?

I can't wait and am not expecting much but a few shots at some would be nice :good:

Cheers

The first thing is to find your pigeons, setting up on the off chance something will pass by is a bit risky.

With the current windy weather, look for some sheltered spots.

Most rotarys have the necessary fitments for dead birds wings, either ca crocodile clip, or an up turned spike.

You can put out dead birds mixed with decoys.

Good luck and after all the hard work, make sure you shoot straight. :good:

Pigeon to magnet:

The magnet arms usually have a centre spike and two wing spreaders.

Open the wing spreaders about 4"-5" away from the centre spike.

Push centre spike through said pigeon from it's b u m through to the head.

Spread wings and attach to wing spreaders.

Ah ok chaps cheers the arms have 3 prongs fixed into place with an upturned end but no clips, etc.

And yeah thawed ones will be used the heads are in a funny position at the moment, lol!!

Got a couple of farms I can go but the locations are fairly limited on each one due to roads, pathways, etc.

Think the wind is sposed to drop to around 8-10mph tmoro am I right in thinking this is about ideal?

The wind is a bit light for me, i prefer speeds aroundI 15mph, but that don't mean you can't have a great day.

You should send Deny Essex a PM and ask him to send you a copy of a paper he wrote for beginners, loads of useful tips in there.

Edited by Cosd

• 1 month later...

I'm going back out again tmoro for a second try and will report back on this thread rather than start another new one :good:

Planning on going before sunrise and getting set up coz had strict orders to be back before 12 coz friends coming for dinner. Hopefully I'll be providing pigeon breast starters!!

Anyone do this themselves hoping to catch the early birds??

I'm going back out again tmoro for a second try and will report back on this thread rather than start another new one :good:

Planning on going before sunrise and getting set up coz had strict orders to be back before 12 coz friends coming for dinner. Hopefully I'll be providing pigeon breast starters!!

Anyone do this themselves hoping to catch the early birds??

i dont shoot first thing if i want to be there all day sometimes they avoid the same place if disturbed early on not always but not worth the hassle ,but as you only want to shoot few hours could prove good :good:

Not round here it's not mate set up for 7.30am waited a while and a couple came into the pattern and I missed em. Too keen and messed up, lol! Got a few collared doves again and only 1 woodie but at least I got them decoying in so was still happy, and had a buzzard for company for a while which was cool to watch :good:

I'm learning each time which is good and enjoying it too.

• 3 weeks later...