shore phesant

As the title & topic descripition, if when down on the shore after geese & duck and a phesant happens to fly past can you take it. I am asking this as this morning while waiting for the geese to lift at least 6 phesants were either flying around in the area I was sitting or actually taking a stroll along the shore.

Cheers,

BBL

Thanks for the replys guys.

Not the Skibo phesants although I have seen plenty about at the narrows. The birds I saw may have come from Skibo at some time and now have become "wild" these were along the shore from the Dornoch air strip and nowhere near any area of put down birds. I have also seen them around the Loch Fleet area and again I would suspect wild.

BBL

Its a rule on the part of the Wash I shoot that no game is taken on the marsh. It's a gentleman's agreement that the farmers behind the sea wall don't shoot the geese. I would just be satisfied with the chance of a duck or goose.

We have exactly the same agreement at our club.

Edited by wildfowlingmad

Maby just to make things a little clearer. Most of the ground behind the shore area is either part of a golf course a grass air strip and what we call in Scotland common graizing (public ground). There is no farm land or estate land within at least a mile from where I was sitting. Part of the common graizing floods on a high tide so there can be a good number of duck about at certain times (never when I have been there with my gun) and the geese also come in.

I understand and fully accept gentleman`s arrangements that are made but I dont have to have them in place. So I have free access onto & over public ground, free shooting between the low & high mean tide marks and a phesant passes by me in my hide. What is stopping me from taking it out apart from having to load a smaller cartridge as I dont thik there would be to much left of it if i used a 3.5" 42g BB. I just want to know if there any laws if I can or cannot shoot phesant when I am on the shore.

Unfortunatly a lot of dog walkers use the access to the beach and can cause a bit of a disturbance to the wildfowling so I trend to go where not so many walkers go so I think that the dog walkers may also be moving any wild phesant onto the less walked areas of the shore. Just to be clear I dont have anything against the dog walkers, I walk my own dogs there sometimes but I will keep them under beter control and not let them chase roosting fowl or other birds.

Again thanks for the replys and discussions.

BBL

Its perfectly legal to shoot them in such a situation. It's just not the 'done thing' amongst wildfowlers. Mainly because of the potential to upset the neighbouring landowners.

As above. It's perfectly legal with the landowners permission.

Four of the marshes I shoot allow us to shoot game. :good:

WILDFOWLING AND THE LAW

England and Wales

In England and Wales the foreshore is that part of the seashore which is more often than not covered by the flux and reflux of the four ordinary tides occuring midway between springs and neaps. The foreshore may be in crown or private ownership. In England and Wales the B.A.S.C has an agreement with the Crown Estate Commissioners giving B.A.S.C. members defence against prosecution for carrying guns on the Crown foreshore. You need permission to shoot on private foreshore. The onus is on the wildfowler to establish whether the foreshore is private. Access and egress must be by public right of way unless otherwise authorised.

The shooting of wildfowl on Sundays is illegal in some counties:

Counties in England and Wales in which there is no Sunday shooting of schedule 2 part I birds. Anglesey; Brecknock; Caernarvon; Carmarthen; Cardigan; Cornwall; Denbigh; Devon; Doncaster; Glamorgan; Gt. Yarmouth (County Borough); Isle of Ely; Leeds (County Borough); Merioneth; Norfolk; Pembroke; Somerset; Yorkshire (North Riding); Yorkshire (West Riding).

Scotland

In Scotland the foreshore is the area of land between the high and low water marks of ordinary spring tides. In Scotland, whether the foreshore is Crown or private ownership, the Crown retains in trust certain rights on the foreshore (except Orkey and Shetland) by virtue of which members of the public may engage in wildfowling. The public right may, in certain cases, be taken away by statute, e.g. nature reserves. The onus is on the wildfowler to establish whether such reserves exist. There is no shooting of wildfowl in Scotland on Sundays or Christmas day.

Northern Ireland

The shooting seasons and quarry species differ from those in England, Wales and Scotland and are subject to yearly change.

There is no shooting on the foreshore after the 31st January and night shooting is prohibited.

General points

Those who shoot on the foreshore can only legally take the birds listed in Schedule 2 Part I of the Wildlife and Countryside act 1981, unless otherwise authorised, during the open season.

Schedule 2 Part I

Duck: mallard, teal, wigeon, pintail, tufted duck, pochard, shoveller, golden eye, gadwall. Geese: pinkfooted, greylag, whitefronted (England and Wales only), Canada. Wader: golden plover. Others: coot, mooorhen, woodcock, snipe.

Scedule 2 Part II refers to those wild birds which may be killed or taken, by authorised persons, at any time including woodpigeons, crows and some gulls. You should be aware that some bylaws, for example, on nature reserves, do not include shooting birds in schedule 2 Part II.

Under certain circumstances some other species not listed in the above schedule may be shot under special licence. Details are available from the B.A.S.C. Headquarters.

Only the wildfowl species listed in schedule 3 Part III of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 may be offered for sale, dead, from the 1st of September until the 28th February inclusive:

Duck: mallard, teal, wigeon, pinatil, tufted duck, pochard, shoveller. Wader: golden plover. Others: coot, woodcock, snipe.

The sale of all dead wildfowl is currently prohibited in Northern Ireland.

The B.A.S.C. does not encourage the sale of dead migratory quarry species.

It is illegal to sell dead wild geese.

It is illegal to shoot from a mechanically propelled boat in pursuit of wildfowl. The prudent wildfowler will, therefore, dispense with the engine altogether.

Edited by Tam

WILDFOWLING AND THE LAW

England and Wales

In England and Wales the foreshore is that part of the seashore which is more often than not covered by the flux and reflux of the four ordinary tides occuring midway between springs and neaps. The foreshore may be in crown or private ownership. In England and Wales the B.A.S.C has an agreement with the Crown Estate Commissioners giving B.A.S.C. members defence against prosecution for carrying guns on the Crown foreshore. You need permission to shoot on private foreshore. The onus is on the wildfowler to establish whether the foreshore is private. Access and egress must be by public right of way unless otherwise authorised.

>

>

>

Scedule 2 Part II refers to those wild birds which may be killed or taken, by authorised persons, at any time including woodpigeons, crows and some gulls. You should be aware that some bylaws, for example, on nature reserves, do not include shooting birds in schedule 2 Part II.

>

>

How old is this source?

Didn't the General Agreement between BASC and the Crown Estate end in 1999?

Schedule 2 Part II of WCA 1981 was deleted on 01.01.1993