feral pigeons...

southeastpete

Hi, i just got some shooting permission out the back of where i work. There are loads of ferals and rabbits, with a few woodies about. I was just wondering if people dont eat ferals because they are actually bad in some way, or just because its not a nice thought as they live around town and eat all sorts of ****, but would probably taste the same..?

I have no intention of eating them myself, but i would be interested in putting them through my meat grinder and jerky gun, and turn them into dog treats.

Thanks for any replies,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

i eat the ferals that i shoot. it has been proven that they are not infact flying rats, they are no mare diseased than woodies. infact i would say that feral meat is actually nicer than woody meat, it has a slightly stronger taste. collered doves taste even nicer :P

but if your not going to eat them i think putting them through the jerky gun for the dogs is great idea!

i used to get paid to shoot pigeons at a grain silo /flour factory and i shot thousands and thousands i used to give them to a game dealer who dressed them and sent them to france for eating , he used to give me 1 12g cart for each bird when i finished i had just over 11000 carts in my house

iv got no solid facts about diseases with ferral pigeon but what rings alarm bells in my head is how that bird lives! generaly they live in large numbers in deralict buildings, in town areas were they are left alone you can see there roosting area is coverd in **** (big time) this living condition can not be good and must attract a lot of vermin etc. when rats start coming on the scene wheels disease follows, like i say i cant say for sure if pigeons can carry these diseases but i personaly wont over look these pointers. eating birds that come from that background of sqwalid living curls my toes lol, much prefer the wonderfull woody who eats grins and natural foods not to mention living in a nice airated tree!

• 3 weeks later...

If you shoot them where they are on the grain they are fine to eat

Although I have never felt the need to eat ferals myself , are these not the descendants of the self same birds once kept in specially built doocots(dovecots) for both their meat and eggs? Probablty nothing wrong with the bird but as others have mentioned their environment leaves a lot to be desired.

Blackpowder