Mark Farddy

aldivalloch

Our much-loved dog died two weeks ago, so my wife and I have been having discussions about getting another. The main criterion is that the new pup should be child-friendly - we have two small grandchildren, and a third on the way.

Whilst fiddling around on the internet my wife saw reference made to "flexible labradors" and was curious enough to e-mail the site. Since then we've been contacted by e-mail by "Mark Farddy", offering labrador pups. There was a sob story about how these pups were no longer compatible with his work-pattern, and how they remionded him of his mother who died just two weeks ago.

We started to scent a rodent when he advised that the pups were at a local address - one that just happens to be quite close to our home, and which we know to be the office of a law practice....

Since then it has come to our notice the "Mark Farddy" comes up in connection with puppy sales in Glasgow, Bradford, and several other places.....

We are now being told the "local" pups are free to a good home.

Nutter? Scammer? Can anyone tell us what's behind all this??

Very strange. In response to a question as to whether the pups are at the local address and able for viewing, "Mark Farrdy" has just e-mailed my wife to tell her to "come to my address and you will meet me there".

Off course he won't, because as I said in my original post it's the office of a local law practice, and when I spoke to one of the partners earlier today he confirmed that he and his colleagues had never heard of "Mark Farddy".

So is this someone with a very warped sense of humour who enjoys messing with other peoples' lives?

There's nothing so queer as folk!!

Very strange. In response to a question as to whether the pups are at the local address and able for viewing, "Mark Farrdy" has just e-mailed my wife to tell her to "come to my address and you will meet me there".

Off course he won't, because as I said in my original post it's the office of a local law practice, and when I spoke to one of the partners earlier today he confirmed that he and his colleagues had never heard of "Mark Farddy".

So is this someone with a very warped sense of humour who enjoys messing with other peoples' lives?

There's nothing so queer as folk!!

I replied to one similar ad, they reckoned the pups reminded them of their daughter who had just died....snag was the pup had been moved to the Orkneys or somewhere and i would have to pay for the flight to bring it back, pay up front and they would send me the details..........ho ho ho! :angry:

We've already made the local police aware - an officer has taken a statement from my wife and copies of the e-mails she was sent.

Wife got fed up of his nonsense a couple of evenings ago and sent a message stating that we were aware he was playing games, that his "local address" was bogus, that the police had become involved, and that he might like to stop trying to con people.

There was an immediate and quite threatening response which said that he "would mach (sic) to her door" and that she wouldn't like the consequences. Given that he doesn't know where our door is, we're not exactly quaking with fear!

We still can't work out what he was trying to achieve, other than getting off on having the power to mislead and manipulate people.

Jacksdad, your post is interesting. I can see the basis for a scam in the details you give. The puppies we were being offered were allegedly in Orkney; I guess it didn't fit the plot too well that we live there, that the bogus address is only two or three hundred yards from our house, and that we know the solicitors whose office it is!

I looked online, might even have been on Epupz, you submit your location in the search, so the conman gets back to you saying the pups are near you, and gives a local address. They then say that the pups have been sent 'to a relative' miles away, then the story about flight costs comes out.

maybe the con backfired here as you live in the very remote place that they use, being generally out of reach to most people!