First shotgun purchase for an intermediate shot?

joshnathan

Hello,

I've been shooting for 7 years now (since i was 13) however, i have almost always used a gun that was on loan to me from a friend (a silver pigeon IV).

I have finally decided to get my own license and i'm hoping that will arrive at some point in the next week or so.

As i don't have the money to purchase the gun i have been using i wanted to know your opinion on a o/u for someone with a fair bit of experience that has similar dimensions to the silver pigeon so that the fitting is as close as possible.

My budget is about £700 for a s/h gun so any suggestions would be great.

I've also considered getting a semi-auto instead of a o/u because if i go on a driven shoot i can always borrow the silver pigeon.

For the money will i get a better semi?

Regards,

Joshua

When I went to buy my first gun all I had used was a Beretta and it was what my heart was set on.

The reality was that when I was in the gun shop and tried a few on for size they weren't suitable. The best fit I could get off the shelf was a 2nd hand Miroku MK38 (it's fantastic).

The bloke could quite easily have said there you go, have the Beretta and give me the money but he sold me the Miroku for 795, this was 4 years ago.

I'd go to a few shops and try some different guns, you might be surprised and find a more suitable gun that costs less than a Beretta.

Thanks for all the advice after spending some time yesterday trying some guns the one i like the most and the one that feels the best (without shooting it) is the webley 912k.

Do any of you know of someone in north london who would fit the gun? As my local clubs and shops don't seem to do it.

Like everyone says - it's all about fit. I think the reason lots of people get into the the big B's is resale (ease of and residual value.

I certainly did with my first gun - I bought a new Beretta 682 Gold E, used it every week for over two-years, then traded it in and got back all of my money bar £220. :yes:

£700 is a lot of money and you can get a really nice gun for that. Semi Auto is a good all around option and for that money you could get a Beretta al391 or something similar.

Like others have said its all about the fit and to some degree I wouldnt worry too much about the name. The first gun I bought was a £100 Baikel o/u. I got on really well with it and it fitted me well. I had it for quite a few years before selling it off for £150.

The bigger names, like the beretta, browning etc.. hold their value well, so you can see it as an investment. Ive a Beretta al391 I bought many many years back second hand and looking at the current selling prices, its still worth about the same as I paid for it.

Id get down a local shop and try a few out. You are not forced to buy anything, and can spend a bit of time shopping about until you find something you like the feel off.

You are in the region of Betinsolli, Lamber and a few other brand new guns with good guarentee's which will last your lifetime, yes the names are not advertised as much but the quality is still their. to me to many people just go by a name and not the actual gun they are buying,

Woodwork and engraving used to be the signes of quality and price but now even Beretta have stopped emgraving on some models so hard to see where the much higher prices come from

Anyway have a open view at the gun shop you may be suprised whats around

Edited by ChrisAsh