Trap and Sporting guns

Robin128

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

think he wants answers trap gun for shooting trap sporter for shooting sport depends wot you want to shoot :D

That was my first thought...but then notice that the entire article is in quote marks including the question at the start. Then he ends with HTH which I assume is hope that helps. So I wasn't sure.

The vast number of 1/4in birds you see in sporting now it is a big advantage, and you get a much better view of the birds. You don't have to consciously "aim" low, your just aware or where it patterns. I'd take a stab at saying 15+ of this years sporting top 20 will shoot trap guns, or "sporterized" trap guns....

30" or 32"??? :unsure:

More than anything else, in my opinion, it's what feels right for you. :yes: I shot 28" barrels on several Brownings (425 & 525) and have now changed to a Winchester Select with 30" barrels. As I'm 6'1" and nearly 16st I find that the extra 2" in barrel length (plus nearly another 1" from the extended chokes) slows my swing down nicely and stops me 'stabbing' at targets. I've yet to try more than a few rounds through 32" barrels but that may be even better :hmm:

I'm happy with what I have now and use 1/4 and 1/2 chokes for everything and it'll reach out a long way when necessary. I'm no expert but I've been shooting 30 years all told and I very much go with 'If you like it and it works then it's right'.

If you get the chance have a try with what you're thinking of buying because you can spend all day in a gun shop and it won't tell you as much as 10 minutes on the range...

Obviously the most important thing beyond that is to have the gun fitted for you - it's not expensive and any good gunsmith will set you up with a weapon that'll fire where you aim it - after that it's just a question of aiming it at the right piece of sky :good:

All the guns I use for Clays are 32" trap guns, although I have a few more.

For me, they shoot flat.

Unless you have a ramped top rib, the only real difference to a sporter is the stock - comb height. I accept the forend is normally a different shape and weight is possibly different.

All the guns I use for Clays are 32" trap guns, although I have a few more.

For me, they shoot flat.

Unless you have a ramped top rib, the only real difference to a sporter is the stock - comb height. I accept the forend is normally a different shape and weight is possibly different.

You are right. Guns made for the UK Trap market are rarely anything other than flat shooters. Perazzi may be an exception as some of their trap guns can shoot very high as can K80's which have the rib adjustment facility to alter POI.

I would back Ed's guess that most of our top 20 probably shoot guns that are closer in DNA to Trap than Sporting.

You are right. Guns made for the UK Trap market are rarely anything other than flat shooters. Perazzi may be an exception as some of their trap guns can shoot very high as can K80's which have the rib adjustment facility to alter POI.

That's one of the reasons why Marcello Dradi, when he was the GB Olympic Trap Coach a couple of years ago, got some of our top trap shooters to have new stocks made for their guns in the Italian style of a high eye above the rib. As a idea how high, if you placed 3 x £1 coins on the end of the chamber and looked down the rib you'd still see the end bead.

That sounds about how I see mine that I use for sporting/FITASC

That's about what I see with my 682/PFS but it still shoots flat :lol: :lol: , personally I remain unconvinced that you can rise POI drastically with comb height alone. To me it seems an odd assumption, you look along a low/regular set up and the gun shoots 60/40; now raise your head/eye artificially 20mm whilst holding the gun on the same line as before, why the hell should POI suddenly jump up from before? :hmm::sly: :unsure:

I think to make a gun shoot higher you need to move metal, either in the form of the rib or barrel hangers, better still the manufacturer builds it that way from the ground up so to speak.

I think it was a Kevin Gill article I read years ago who reckoned the POI was set in the main by how the makers build the action and barrel in the first place.