Springer proven pellet leaves barrel before recoil and surge!!

Fat toad

Hi have just watched a clip of pellet leaving gun before recoil and surge in the USA it was slowed down frame by frame and pellet went through paper in front of barrel before any recoil or surge forward so if it's left the gun before any thing affects it why don't we get a bulls eye every shot on non windy days and I was always told to use the artillery grip when shooting a springer or as that now gone out the window because pellet is long gone before all the shaking starts Frank

To all the link to vid is www.topairgun.com/recoil I would just like to know what members think me personally i will still use the advise I was so kindly given by members of this forum when I first joined it as served me well till now and I'm not changing my shooting stile because I saw a vid do you think vid is a hoax o no it's not going to be another pigeon magnet if it is you can shoot me HaHa take a look tell us what you think time for a good discussion Frank

If I remember the velocity of my colt 45 gold cup depends on the grain of the slug but it ranged between 900 and 1150 ft/s. Which is the lower range of a fac .177. So I would believe that.

Yes that is mention you are on the right track take a look and post what you think about it

So you reckon that the pellet leaves the barrel before the spring moves :hmm:

No I'm saying nothing they are saying the pellet is long gone before piston hits the stops so recoil and surge comes after the pellet as gone I'm with you I think it's the release of the spring that makes it hard to stay on target have a look at vid what do you think??? It could all be a hoax

When you pull the trigger on a springer, you have all the mechanical action taking place BEFORE the air hits the pellet...thats what causes the recoil and subsequent lack of accuracy. :good:

[/quot

I'm with you on that 100% release of spring they are saying what happens 100th of second after release take a look perhaps it's me who misinterpreting the vid

Vibes will be taking place before the pel leaves the barrel sure, the piston however is slowed down on a cushion of air that then depending on all sorts finnishes it's travel.

U.

Yes just releasing the power in the spring makes me move slightly called a pulled shot not all the time but some times my springer as not got the best of triggers and I'm am caught out with creep thanks for reply

Depends on a number of things: length of barrel, size of transfer port, weight of pellet, fit of pellet in barrel, friction of piston/seal, diameter of piston, stroke of piston etc. etc.

It cannot be disputed that mechanical travel of the piston has to take place prior to the pellet leaving the barrel, if the piston is still moving after the pellet has left the barrel there is wasted energy.

Depends on a number of things: length of barrel, size of transfer port, weight of pellet, fit of pellet in barrel, friction of piston/seal, diameter of piston, stroke of piston etc. etc.

It cannot be disputed that mechanical travel of the p

iston has to take place prior to the pellet leaving the barrel, if the piston is still moving after the pellet has left the barrel

there is wasted energy.

Thanks for your most interesting post did you look at the video?? It must come down to mathematics to find a answer something like speed of pellet leaving barrel as to time piston hits the stops and how much pressure required to get pellet to this speed thanks for reply

Spring guns have a double recoil.

Newtons 3rd law :- for every action, there is an equal & opposite reaction.

Piston moves forward so the gun moves rearward.

Piston reaches the end of it's travel & strikes the end of the compression chamber with the result that the gun moves away from the piston i.e, forward.

The pellet may well have left the barrel before the forward recoil occurs but can't have left the barrel before the rearwards recoil occurs because that's a direct reaction to the forward movement of the piston.

The piston has to move a short distance before the pellet first moves as there needs to be a build up of pressure in the compression chamber to overcome the initial inertia of the pellet & the friction of the barrel, before the pellet is expelled.

Spring guns have a double recoil.

Newtons 3rd law :- for every action, there is an equal & opposite reaction.

Piston moves forward so the gun moves rearward.

Piston reaches the end of it's travel & strikes the end of the compression chamber with the result that the gun moves away from the piston i.e, forward

Yet again another good reply thank you very much for

taking time to explain Newton.Wonderful how things can be explained in a way normal guys can under stand in stead of a load of gobble de coup or maths formulas thanks

The pellet may well have left the barrel before the forward recoil occurs but can't have left the barrel before the rearwards recoil occurs because that's a direct reaction to the forward movement of the piston.

The piston has to move a short distance before the pellet first moves as there needs to be a build up of pressure in the compression chamber to overcome the initial inertia of the pellet & the friction of the barrel, before the pellet is expelled.

Edited by Fat toad

Hi all thankyou for all of your post replys it's been a good subject to discuss . Have just been told that airgun world is doing a massive study to put this old cheastnut to bed once and for all I will take a look but to be honest I have been told every airgun made is a one and only of it's kind weather it's a springer or a pcp so the study is floored before it's began Frank