Woodcock in N Ireland

Ballymac

Hi guys, any of you in the north of the north, monkeyboots, ollie etc have you seen any woodcock yet? A friend was told by a gamekeeper up that way that there were a few in around Ballycastle last weekend.

I know they travel by the moon and by next full moon we should see a few more. I have got shooting permission on a large chunk of ground (not sole permission) that holds a lot of woodcock if the weather is right so looking forward to that.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a couple out lamping a few weeks back. I was also out at the weekend and covered a lot of ground but only flushed 1. Any birds which are in at the moment will still be in the forestry's, but depending on weather there should be a good few birds in with the next moon. Anybody know when the next moon is?

I saw a couple out lamping a few weeks back. I was also out at the weekend and covered a lot of ground but only flushed 1. Any birds which are in at the moment will still be in the forestry's, but depending on weather there should be a good few birds in with the next moon. Anybody know when the next moon is?

Is this what your after ollie

http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/moonphases.html?year=&n=919

seen 2 in the last 2 nites and my mate has flushed 2 on wednesday so hopefuly there will be a few about on saturday when we walk a few places in search of them

Good luck with that. I cant get out this weekend myself. So close now. On the 14th nov last year I rose 17 from the one piece of cover near Ballymoney. Though the moon was a week earlier.