6.5x55 for fox

remmyboy

Doubt it, they would probibily want you to use a .22cf, or at most a .243. However if you said you were going to be buying days stalking that may be different, but if you have little or no centerfire experience they may want you to have a .22-250 or something like that which would be good to 400 yards ish.

Unlikely, the FLO would most likely come back at you with "why not get closer to the fox!" it's a valid point.

Besides 6.5s go straight through foxes (admittedly leaving a big hole), I've shot a few with mine but i would never use it specifically for Foxing, a .243 would make a better choice for long range with a nice varmint BT

If you can't shoot deer then its unlikely to get a 6.5 apart from being unnecessary. Really you are looking at .22cf's possibly .243 if you can talk the talk but really if you don't have deer it will depend to a lot of forces on experience. Personally for foxes on their own I wouldn't want to have harnsers 308 for the job there are far better choices.

i've got 6.5 for fox aswell as deer, mostly fox tho, you can get ballistic tips for them, also hollow points down to 85gr if you fancy reloading, or know someone who does ;)

Personally i'd rather the bullet went straight through, rather than bounce back at me if it hits bone which i've heard happen before, there was a thread on here about a year ago, someone had a .243 soft point come wizzing back past their ear after hitting the fox.

centrefire bullets bouncing back off bone I've heard some tripe on here but that takes the biscuit

I dont know about "bouncing back off bone" Ive seen them defleck off bone and exit somewhere totaly different,a mate did this once shooting fallow hit the first one broad side on heart and lung shot the deer ran and the other beast which was stood behind and too the left fell over first when the bullet hit it in the neck after leaving the first beast body.

two deer with 1 shot,first time Ive ever seen that.Ive seen bullet exit out the body in some very strange places

back onto calibers for fox I can use my 7mm wsm for foxes,at the end of the day if you dont ask you will never know what they will allow you

Edited by Ackley

I dont know about "bouncing back off bone" Ive seen them defleck off bone and exit somewhere totaly different,a mate did this once shooting fallow hit the first one broad side on heart and lung shot the deer ran and the other beast which was stood behind and too the left fell over first when the bullet hit it in the neck after leaving the first beast body.

two deer with 1 shot,first time Ive ever seen that.Ive seen bullet exit out the body in some very strange places

back onto calibers for fox I can use my 7mm wsm for foxes,at the end of the day if you dont ask you will never know what they will allow you

deflect is one thing come back at you quite another. I'd suggest the person making the claim probably didn't own anything more powerful than a catapult.

As for fast and flat shooting I'd totally agree as well, bearing in mind most fox shooting is done at last light or in the dark you really don't want to be thinking too much about range

most people i dare say who have a 6.5 have it conditioned for fox as well as deer (i know i have), but that's not the point - just fox, i doubt it very much.

And as for a bounce back - i may believe it if he were shooting FMJ rounds at a steel fox target 40 yards away, and even that would surprise me, as for a bone, tosh! At most it would deflect but there's no way it would transfer that energy back again.

You don't want the bullet to pass through - you want it to transfer all it energy into the fox.

What a load of rubbish, particles of bone and deer antlers especially could pose potential hazards to persons nearby in theory but c/fire bullet bouncing off a fox bone and comming back at you :lol:

Under the guidlines .243 and 6.5mm are generally only granted when the applicant wishes to own but one gun for deer and fox, i have had far bigger cals granted for the same or "fox while in the act of deer stalking" this means no night use :good: . There is also the factor of wind and range mentioned in relation to this type of calibre in use for foxes, though getting a 6.5mm granted would be unlikely though not impossible as i have seen worse errors made in licencing depts (bear in mind they can and have recognised thier mistakes after grant and withdrawn). Whatever you get they all drift and i see no great advantage to the 6.5mm for fox. IMO go for the .243" and a higher BC varmint bullet like the new 87grn v-max would be an easier choice, varmint rounds in 6.5mm are not going to easy to percure in factory loded BTW

Thats a shame! Have to say the chances of it happening are the same as a 6.5 bouncing back off a fox

maybe "bounce" is the wrong word :yp: , how about deflect? All i can seem to remember is he was out lamping foxes, using 55gr remi soft points which was what i was using in my 22/250, and the guy reckoned he had one come whistling back past his ear, more likely a frag or a stone chip, who knows?

maybe "bounce" is the wrong word :yp: , how about deflect? All i can seem to remember is he was out lamping foxes, using 55gr remi soft points which was what i was using in my 22/250, and the guy reckoned he had one come whistling back past his ear, more likely a frag or a stone chip, who knows?

But there is not even 55 grn 6.5mm Bullet in existance i am aware of :hmm:

This paragraph in the Home office firearms guidance to police suggests 6.5 for fox.

13.23 Common rifle cartridges considered

suitable for the shooting of foxes range from

.17 Remington, and .22 Hornet to .22 -250

and .220 Swift, though there is a wide range

of suitable similar calibres commercially

available. In windy areas, where heavier bullets

aid accurate shooting, or if applicants wish to

use one rifle for shooting both deer and foxes

they may choose a rifle in 6mm (.243/.244) or

6.5mm (.264) calibre. .22 Rimfire is generally

too low-powered to be used against fox

except at short range, but may reasonably be