unkown caliber

What a fascinatingly weird thread this has been!!

The OP shows his unidentified item next to a garden gun shell which is clearly a 9mm rimfire and probably made by Fiocchi.

He says he has done so to give a rough idea of its size and goes on to tell us the unidentified item is centre-fire.

So we're looking at a bottle-necked centrefire cartridge about an inch long. ".22 short?" says magman...... WHAAAT????

In comes Harnser suggesting it could be an old rook rifle cartridge. Spot on, if he hadn't suggested 9mm.

Then Mike525steel tells me he saw a revolver "like the one you describe" at an auction house and thought it was a .410. Well, apart from the fact that I described my great-grandfather's simply as "a small revolver", which is hardly definitive, a .410 revolver would be anything but. For those of limited imagination, go and set out five or six .410 cartridges as they would appear in the cylinder....

And then flazz comes along with the astoundingly random suggestion that it could be an 8mm Nambu. WOW! Where did that one come from? In any case, a thirty-second Google will show that the 8mm Nambu was a RIMLESS cartridge.

Magus69 is absolutely correct and tells us that he actually shoots the long version of the cartridge in a Francotte Martini. Responses don't come any more authoritative than that, gentlemen. Nothing more to be said, other than that I'm deeply envious!

Or is there??

ChrisAsh joins us but clearly hasn't even grasped the original question and suggests the garden gun shell (the OP TOLD us it was a garden gun shell!!) may be a .410.

And finally Bazooka Joe provides a very helpful picture that includes the .297/.230 Morris Short Centre-fire, and identifies the garden gun shell as a 9mm.

Phew!

After reading that lot I feel as though I've had a trip to the Dark Side. And we wonder why police FLO's treat us a bit tentatively! Well, on the basis of the foregoing, just try to imagine some of the daftness they must have to listen to!!!

love it. had to be done :lol::good::lol::good:

Magus,

Just curiosity, but do you use your Francotte Martini for live quarry shooting, or target only. I had a similar rifle once, which had been bored out as a .22 smoothbore.

Cottonseed

Just target shooting mate,the bullet is only 37gr with only 2gr of Unique behind it,it generates about the same amount of energy as a sub 12 ft lb air rifle (but more fun).

Is that in a book somewhere? I'd be interested in learning more on the 297/230. If the cases are available, it could be a neat wildcat base for a 17 or 20.

Thanks, rick

Buffalo Arms do brass but you can buy dies from CH4D to form cases from .22 Hornet brass for the 297/.230 you also have to thin the rim of the case,incidentally for a wildcat the cases are usually the easy bit it's having the chamber reamer made to spec which poses problems (did for me)get your chamber sorted,do a cerrosafe chamber cast,send it to CH4D and they'll custom make dies to form the closest standard cartridge to your wild cat.The second biggest problem that I had was getting it on ticket now that was interesting.

Mike...

Hi mike,

There are quite a few shortened hornet wildcats already. As you said, dies and forming are usually the problem. This isn't far from a mink series of cartridges. I was thinking that if this brass were available, it could be one pass through the FL sizer and done for the mink or similar. Worst case some fireoming. Guess not though.

If you're ever interested, there are quit a few reamers available for the shortened hornet cases. Look around on saubier.com and you'll find them.

Thanks,

Rick

The 297/.23 was a common cartridge up until the 50s. A lot of Martinis were made for it then the ammo became scarce. Lots of the rifles then had the chambers recut for .22 Hornet. Something about it didn't work that well though, I don't if it was the rifling twist or whatever. But it gave the Hornet a poor reputation for accuracy which still lingers on to this day.