Bore cleaning

wickedandlazee

Fairly new to this game (been shotgun shooting all of a month lol). Cleaning of shotgun bores with bushes, solvent/oil etc - how often should i do this? I assume too much is as bad as not enough - i have seen posts on here from people who have put a few 1000 shots through without cleaning lol- some rough guidelines would be appreciated as the books i have seen do not really give any.

Many thanks in appreciation

stu

I clean the barrels after everytime i use it....The inside of the barrels get filled up with crud from the cartridges easily, and i think that this crud does have some corrosive effect on the inner if left unattended. cleaning after every use ensures that theres no water or moisture on the gun which leads to rust...Don't be worried about over cleaning i don't think its really possible to harm with modern barrels these days....Get in the habit early on, :angry::rolleyes::good:

I clean the barrels after everytime i use it....The inside of the barrels get filled up with crud from the cartridges easily, and i think that this crud does have some corrosive effect on the inner if left unattended. cleaning after every use ensures that theres no water or moisture on the gun which leads to rust...Don't be worried about over cleaning i don't think its really possible to harm with modern barrels these days....Get in the habit early on, :angry::rolleyes::good:

I agree 100%.

The barrels wont need wire brushing after every outing, just a patch with one of the many types of bore cleaner on it and then a wool mop with a very small amount of gun oil on it.

It is time well spent. :oops:

I have always followed the same routine after every shooting outing. Clean the dog, clean the gun, jump in the bath with a large whisky. Not only does it keep the gun clean and free from rust, it also gives you a chance to observe any damage that you may have done out in the field and catch it before it becomes a problem.

I also clean all my shotties after each outing with them, unless i know im going out the next day in which case i would leave it for the night.

I hear those bore-snakes are good altho havent got one for my shotguns only the .22, might be worth getting one as it will make cleaning a bit quicker me thinks, giving more time to soak in a bath drinking a large whisky :angry:

Thanks all - cleaned it out yesterday - hell of a lot of **** in that barrel lol - gleaming like a new pin now - will invest in a bore snake me thinks as it was a bit of pain with those patches.

Once again thanks for the help - you may get a lot more questions over the coming weeks as i am new to shotguns having shot air rifles most of my life - gotta get used to swinging that gun though lolol

cheers

;)

I clean the barrels every time I use it, with loo roll, (three sheets folded) on a split plastic jag, until it comes out clean. After about 3 outings I clean it properly with bore cleaner and a phosphor bronze brush, cleaning the action and lubricating, (sparingly!) I regularly take the chokes out, clean and lubricate, and replace. Occasionally I get a little linseed oil onto the stock to refresh it. Job done!

I pretty much dont clean my barrels, they are chrome bored for a reason (i know thats no excuse and they can still get pitted despite being chrome bored) However as i shoot the shotgun almost every weekend without fail i cant see a point.

However if i do clean it i use butches bore shine on a brass brush, then run through a brass jag with 2 bits of bog roll folded on it untill it comes out clean.

Everytime i use it. :o

This goes for my rifles too. :P

Do this and they will last a lifetime. :rolleyes:

Frank.

Sorry to be asking qeustions again ;)

How do you clean your rifles bore? and do you have to re-zero after cleaning?

Cheers ;)

Everytime i use it. :o

This goes for my rifles too. :P

Do this and they will last a lifetime. :rolleyes:

Frank.

Sorry to be asking qeustions again ;)

How do you clean your rifles bore? and do you have to re-zero after cleaning?

Cheers ;)

we use a stiff plastic brush on a cleaning rod of the suitable size with some butches bore clean or hoppes number 9, quick scrub out, leave it to soak for a few mins, then a brass jag with some loo roll rapped around it. keep on repeating the process untill either the barrel appears clean, or you stop gessing copper fouling out of it.

I wouldnt clean your .22lr for a few hundred rounds, or untill the accuracy goes off.

Cleaning centerfires is an intresting topic, almost everyone does something different. Me and my dad clean about once every 9 months, or when the accuracy falls off. Some clean every outing without fail and learn where their fouling shots will fall.

You shouldnt need to re zero after a clean, however the first 1 2 or maybe 3 shots will not go the same place as you zero the gun for. After 2 or 3 shots accuracy will return and it should shoot to your previous zero.

The only time that I clean the barrel of my rimmy is when I have used high velocity copper coated, just in case the copper has fouled the barrel. After doing this I have always shot off at least 10 rounds to get the wax coating back in the barrel in case the lack of it affects accuracy.

As I have not used high velocity for over two years, I have never cleaned the barrel.

I have read that the wax coating on subsonics imparts a 'rust proofing' (for lack of a proper description), and this is the reason why I don't clean it.

All I can say is that this appears to work on mine, and I have shot thousands of rounds through it.

If I did intend to not use the gun for a VERY extended period, then perhaps I would consider cleaning it - but there again I would probably not.

Waiting to be shot down in flames.........

Don

Right, my method, which was recomended to me by a very good rifle smith in this country.

This method below will keep your rifles in tip top condition and accuracy for its life span.

I will also say this, cleaning your rifle once in a blue moon and thinking it wont rust, is pure ignorance.

Copper build up in the barrel of centerfire rifles, everytime a round is fired, will effect accuracy big time and will really **** up your rifle, reducing its life span as much as 3 thousand rounds ;) :o

Another point and folks will disagree with this, but its a fact.

Some folks, belive that if they did not clean everytime and left it for every, 20 to 30 rounds, that will be fine.

This is true to some extent, but it all depends on how long you leave it in between use. If its in regular use, say everyday, or at the most, every other day, then this is fine. Problems accure when left for a week or 2 and in most cases, months :rolleyes::P

Also, clean straight away when coming in from a cold night into a warm house and in from wet weather. ;)

Right, my method of cleaning, which by the way, has worked for me for years and i have never had a problem. :rolleyes:

CENTERFIRE RIFLE:

1. Take bolt out, get a can of Forest Bore Cleaning Foam, shake well and with the nosel, put it into the camber and into the bore and slowly squirt it down the bore and leave for all day, or over night.

2. Get a good quality bore guied and place it inside where the bolt usually goes. ( a must)

Make sure the guied is the correct size for your caliber.

3. Swab out with patches sprayed with KG bore degreaser on a brass loop attached to a Parker Hale plastic coated cleaning rod.

4. Soak another patch in Hoppes Copper solvent for an hour.

5. Swab out using a clean dry patch and repeat step 3.

6. Spray patch with penetrating oil (WD-40 is good) and push this threw the bore to soak it.

7. Get a good quality bronze brush and push right threw exiting the bore competely and then taking off the brush at the end and then the rod out of the bore. Put brush back on to bore and repeat this for every shot taken. ( Bronze Brush Is the only thing that will remove copper fouling 100%)

8. Repeat step 3.

9. Get a patch on a loop and apply sparingly, some good quality gun oil and run this threw the bore.

10. Put rifle away securley. :angry:

RIMFIRE:

I dont bother to clean my rimfire if i have been using subsonic rounds that have lead bullets.

If i have been using high velocity ammo that has copper coating, i clean more often, as coper might build up and effect accuracy.

Generally though, rimfires, unless being used in damp or wet weather, dont need as much cleaning as the centerfires.

To keep peak accuracy, clean a rimfire every 200 rounds or so.

Some cleaning product links ect:

http://www.theriflestore.com/

http://www.ariantrading.com/forrest.htm

http://www.copquest.com/64-2015.jpg

http://www.theoben.co.uk/customer/product.php?productid=80

http://www.parker-hale.com/rods.htm

http://www.stoneypoint.com/boreallinone_index.html

All these products above should be got in any good firearms dealers. :rolleyes:

Hope this all puts things into prospective and helps a bit.

Frank.

One more thing i forgot to mention is BORESNAKES, use them only for a quick clean and dont depend on them for full cleaning . :good:

If you only use a bore snake for cleaning, your rifle will loose its accuracy and the bore will eventually get damaged. :yes:

Frank.

:yes:

frank i dont think i will ever agree with that method of cleaning, each to their own hey :good:

i know pleanty of people who litterally never clean their rifles and have put maybe 6000 rounds through them and they still shoot straight as a die.

Rifle barrels are a unknown science, not many people know what actually goes on inside them, and many of the theorys regarding them are guess work.

At the end of the day most of us choose a method of cleaning which is taught to us by someone or a media we see as the most knowledgeable avalible (in my case my dad and in franks this gun smith) The chances are that if this method works, you will never tempt fate and try a different one.

Im not so sure any method is superiour to another, but will stick to what i know :huh:

One more thing i forgot to mention is BORESNAKES, use them only for a quick clean and dont depend on them for full cleaning . :huh:

If you only use a bore snake for cleaning, your rifle will loose its accuracy and the bore will eventually get damaged. :good:

Frank.

I can vouch for that........anyone wanna buy a .22/250 :yes:

One more thing i forgot to mention is BORESNAKES, use them only for a quick clean and dont depend on them for full cleaning . :lol:

If you only use a bore snake for cleaning, your rifle will loose its accuracy and the bore will eventually get damaged. :huh:

Frank.

How about for shotguns Frank? I use boresnake for mine when I'm cleaning it (used to take me an hour to clean the bore before I got it using only patches as directed by Hoppes), but use patches as well after with Hoppes then dry it, then a tiny bit of oil.

John

Fine for shotguns, if used with solvent. :yes:

:huh:

frank i dont think i will ever agree with that method of cleaning, each to their own hey ;)

i know pleanty of people who litterally never clean their rifles and have put maybe 6000 rounds through them and they still shoot straight as a die.

Rifle barrels are a unknown science, not many people know what actually goes on inside them, and many of the theorys regarding them are guess work.

At the end of the day most of us choose a method of cleaning which is taught so usby someone or a media we see as the most knowledgeable avalible (in my case my dad and in franks this gun smith) The chances are that if this method works you will never tempt fate and try a different one.

Im not so sure any method is superiour to another, but will stick to what i know ;)

Thats Fine Nick, but just ask miffy about his .22-250 ;)

A chap not too far from me, ruined his brand new .22 Hornet rifle within a year, from using a boresnake only and not cleaning it. :/

Another chap with a .243 had to cut his up after 3 years, did not clean it regularily, only every 2 or 3 months or so. :o

My rifle smith, has a .220 Swift and has fired over 11,000 rounds threw it so far and uses the method i discribed, he still groups 1 inch at 200yds. :good:

As you said, each to their own. ;)

One more thing i forgot to mention is BORESNAKES, use them only for a quick clean and dont depend on them for full cleaning . :lol:

If you only use a bore snake for cleaning, your rifle will loose its accuracy and the bore will eventually get damaged. :huh:

Frank.

How about for shotguns Frank? I use boresnake for mine when I'm cleaning it (used to take me an hour to clean the bore before I got it using only patches as directed by Hoppes), but use patches as well after with Hoppes then dry it, then a tiny bit of oil.

John

Fine for shotguns, if used with solvent. :yes:

:huh:

frank i dont think i will ever agree with that method of cleaning, each to their own hey ;)

At the end of the day most of us choose a method of cleaning which is taught so usby someone or a media we see as the most knowledgeable avalible (in my case my dad and in franks this gun smith) The chances are that if this method works you will never tempt fate and try a different one.

Im not so sure any method is superiour to another, but will stick to what i know ;)

Thats Fine Nick, but just ask miffy about his .22-250 ;)

A chap not too far from me, ruined his brand new .22 Hornet rifle within a year, from using a boresnake only and not cleaning it. :/

Another chap with a .243 had to cut his up after 3 years, did not clean it regularily, only every 2 or 3 months or so. :o

My rifle smith, has a .220 Swift and has fired over 11,000 rounds threw it so far and uses the method i discribed, he still groups 1 inch at 200yds. :good:

As you said, each to their own. ;)

my old mans sako hasnt been cleaned in over a year and still shoots inside half an inch if we do our part :/ thats prob had 2500 through it so far.

like i say, barrel science is a bit of an unknown, i suspect there is more than a poor cleaning regime at play in some of the cases you describe ;)