what cal for long range rabbits

danno2506

I would recommend a 223rem I used to use one with 50gr Hornady Vmax projectiles out to 350m and more.

But for what your after a 22 hornet would work well and so would a 17rem out to the 200m mark but if you want to go out to 300m then I would get a 223rem or one of the new 204 Ruger’s as I have heard good things about them.

Well, going for long range is NOT the best first option.

I would suggest building a rabbit hide and shoot them at say 100 yards or more if using a .17 HMR rifle. I doubt the FLO will give you a .223 if you tell him its for '300 yard rabbits' :o

That and it can take years of shooting experiance to shoot small targets at 300 yards. You really have to know what you are doing. Also shooting long range over flat(ish) land will lead to almost certain ricochet hazard.

You will be more lucky getting a .17HMR for long range rabbit work ;) good for up to 175 yards! and possibly a tad over on a good day. (with practice)

I would recommend a 223rem I used to use one with 50gr Hornady Vmax projectiles out to 350m and more.

But for what your after a 22 hornet would work well and so would a 17rem out to the 200m mark but if you want to go out to 300m then I would get a 223rem or one of the new 204 Ruger’s as I have heard good things about them.

been shooting rifles for 25 yrs my freind but i no were u are coming from shooting with f/o today was thinking 222 don,t no much about 17 never owned one thanks for the info danno

been shooting rifles for 25 yrs my freind but i no were u are coming from shooting with f/o today was thinking 222 don,t no much about 17 never owned one thanks for the info danno

thanks mate i,m using home laods but will try 223 one of my mates as got one but he buys factry ammo danno

Never used an FAC rifle but veery intrigued by the ranges some of you mention. In all honesty what range would you expect to group on a 1" diameter target ?

This depends on the wind, what rifle, what ammo, etc etc.

Air rifles are very effective (for rabbits ONLY in your case, not fox) but they are very tempermental sometimes. They dont like wind, and they dont like certaint types of weather. This is why I moved to FAC class Rimfire/Centerfire. I set my airguns up PERFECT, and then 4 hours later its all changed :good:

From a good FAC air rifle of about 35-40 ftlbs, you should have an effective range, on a good non windy day, of about 70 yards. But thats only with a well tuned quality rifle.

This will be more expensive then a medium centerfire of .22 Hornet rifle :yes: not kidding!

Never used an FAC rifle but veery intrigued by the ranges some of you mention. In all honesty what range would you expect to group on a 1" diameter target ?

My .223 groups 1/2 inch at 100, 1 1/2 at 200. :huh:

The Hornet i use to have, grouped 1 inch at 100yds and 2 inches at 200 yds. :lol:

The Hornet then and now my .223 are both CZs. :good::yes::huh:

Frank!

I get to play with the tripple on Wednesday, il let you know how that goes :good:

Though I am wearing it in, so groups may be a bit poorly due to cleaning after each shot.

Ok Hunter, looking farward to the results, be sure to try different brands of ammo and try and do it in dead calm conditions to start with. :yes:

Frank!

I get to play with the tripple on Wednesday, il let you know how that goes :huh:

Though I am wearing it in, so groups may be a bit poorly due to cleaning after each shot.

Good luck with the grouping and the first fox will be in the sporting pics section soon i'm sure :yes::good:

i think that says it all well said that man danno

just got in been playing on range with mates and f/o just got 25 06round sorted very impressive out to 400 yds will be very interested in what u find out thanks danno

Frank!

I get to play with the tripple on Wednesday, il let you know how that goes :huh:

Good luck with the grouping and the first fox will be in the sporting pics section soon i'm sure :yes::good:

been chattin and shootin most of the day been given a load to try if i get one if any of your mates load it,s 22 g of reloader 7 50 g v max head danno

22-250 no doubts

but i am talking proper long range rabbits, way past anything the hmr can manage

i would steer clear of the hornet, not a very fast round even with 35grainers, effected by wind alot, and due to lack of energy it drops like a stone past 150yards.

.222 or .223 would be another fine choice, learn your trajectory well and they would be good on bunnies at 400 maybe a little further. However then your into serious long range, cross winds, thermals, heat haze, uphill down hill

i will be using my .223 (if it ever arrives) for bunnies and crows mainly, as i find it more fun than foxing.

On the hornet accuracy note, our brno hornet is singing with the handloaded 35grain hornady Bt's shoots very nearly as well as the .222 and 6.5, so on the accuracy stake dont discount it.

What nobody seems to have mentioned is that a rabbit hit by a 22-250 or a 223 is fit for the bin :yes::good:

Even when going for headshots you can very easily have bits of neck flesh hanging off.

I used to shoot with a friend using his 22-250, and rabbits up to 250 yards were easy - as you would expect.

However, this was on a rabbit clearance job, and fox bait was about the best we achieved.

Hunter - it will be interesting to read your comments on your first rabbits with you 0.222

Don