Plenty of Birds, wrong after shave??

Alexbb

Hi Guys,

I went out yesterdsay on my permission and watch for some time the flight lines of a whole host of pigeons that seemed to flock between 3 or 4 woodlands during the day. Having arrived at about 11 and watched for approx an hour I decided to set up some decoys and a hide below an oak tree. The deeks were sut up in the cornr of the field nearish one of the woods on rape which had clearly been devoured on some previous occaision so it all looked good. I sat and waited for 3.5 hours and nothing came anywhere near to even paying interest in coming in. The only birds that I saw were all flying 100/150 high in large flocks moving to and from these different woods. My question is and I appreciate no-one has a definitive answer but do you think it is likely that my set up was pants (12 flock 50/50 shell and full bodied and a floater) or that birds are not feeding from the ground yet? It was frosty yesterday and pretty windy here so there was a bit of moisture on the rape all day which I don't know whether this puts the birds off landing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this was my first solo attempt and hopefully I can improve but wonder whether it was the conditionsand not my complete incompetence..

Thanks in advance.

A

A general rule of thunmb is that if you haven't seen pigeons feeding there, it probably isn't worth setting up. For me, i would like to have seen the birds feeding in the same field/spot at least a couple of times before committing to a decoying session.

Sometimes pigeons will come into decoys for a look, even if they haven't been feeding there, but i would only normally set up where i'd seen pigeons feeding over the last couple of days.

It's interesting that having shot just one bird in flight before setting up, there nothing in the bird ie it had nothing in it's craw> What are they feeding on I wonder and is it that they just dont like going on the ground at this time of year??? There were still plenty of acorns about but nothing seemed to be happenning in these spots either.

I have a good deal to lear me thinks...

Also does anyone have any recomendations of bags to carry all the clobber as the large plastic John Lewis bag I had doesn't really fit the bill especially when I dropped a tree trunk on it when setting up and tore it in half! ******!

ukshootingwarehouse do a good bag for £20 pounds its really good.

as for the pigeons they are eating just about any berry holly, ivy, ect. also on the acorns.

this time last year pigeons where hittiing rape hard as the snow and cold weather also less berrys about.

If the woods have pigeons going into them i would stand in one of them and find a fight line in there and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

best time will be end of jan onwards wen he acorns are gone that theyll start to decoy we all have that days frustrating as it is and a lot of head scratching just pack up move around or call it a day really but still keep your eye on that field early morning or late afternoon if they had a go at the field as during the day they just follow each other around

good luck an good shooting pal