rape fields

THE MEK

I've been watching some fields of rape which the birds are hitting now. watched one field for two days, went down yesterday,set up before daylight with wind on my back. after an hour of daylight got the bino's out and the birds where all down the opposite end of the permission everything pigeons crows and seagulls!!. cant seem to work it out, the wind direction was the same on all days as i was thinking that they where more sheltered down that end

Anyway im thinking about putting banger ropes down at the far ends of the permission, as the roost wood is in a central position. is this a good idea or not

thanks for your input

regards

ANDY

I've been watching some fields of rape which the birds are hitting now. watched one field for two days, went down yesterday,set up before daylight with wind on my back. after an hour of daylight got the bino's out and the birds where all down the opposite end of the permission everything pigeons crows and seagulls!!. cant seem to work it out, the wind direction was the same on all days as i was thinking that they where more sheltered down that end

Anyway im thinking about putting banger ropes down at the far ends of the permission, as the roost wood is in a central position. is this a good idea or not

thanks for your input

regards

ANDY

how do the banger ropes work, what about if not all gone off by the end your shooting session ????

how do the banger ropes work, what about if not all gone off by the end your shooting session ????

They usually go off at half hour intervals so as soon as one has exploded i walk over knowing i have about fifteen to twenty minutes to get there and put it out either by cutting the end of the rope off or dipping it in water/coffee.

Rope bangers are basically fireworks on a rope . The fire works or bangers are attached to a rope and you set the bottom of the rope on fire and it smolders until it reaches the banger .when it reaches the banger the smoldering rope sets the banger off and the rope continues to smolder until it reaches the next banger and so forth . You can cut the rope below the next banger to stop the chain . They normally burn for about 30 minutes between bangs ,unless you have a breeze fanning them and they can go off more often .

Harnser .

Was out today doing a recce, Not a bird on the rape, about 2 hundred in the woods on the acorns seems a bumper year for acorns and still hundreds left on the floor, ,The only way your going to get them down on it is for it to snow.

atb kenny

Edited by KennyB

Was out today doing a recce, Not a bird on the rape, about 2 hundred in the woods on the acorns seems a bumper year for acorns and still hundreds left on the floor, ,The only way your going to get them down on it is for it to snow.

atb kenny

:blink: they're already on it

I take that as being sarcastic, So if thats your attitude get on with it son goodbye

not being sarcastic mate just frustrated, i already stated the birds are hitting the rape just want some ideas as to bagging a few. i know i'll have more chance when the snow does come,just want to show the farmer im making an effort

ok mate no probs. first of all you have to be set up where there feeding, and tell us what kind of gear you using, And can you get another gun in the field to move them about??

that's the problem, i was set up where they where feeding the previous two days. the question i'm asking is would putting banger ropes in the other areas that they have been using be beneficial to moving the birds onto the field im set up on or not. i could go tomorrow and they might be down at the far end again, or back on the first mentioned field. The gear i had set up was, a dozen shells a dozen fuds, and three floaters all set out before daybreak. i have a shooting partner on a weekend but only myself during the week if i get the oppurtunity to go.

regards

ANDY

as pigeon said if they aint gonna come they ain't gonna come believe me, banger ropes are ok way to do it but the last time i looked they were quite expensive, you could buy some either cut them in half or light them at five minute intervels, by the way are you getting any birds coming into your pattern??

The inside of wineboxes are silvered plastic with a valve built in, you can push the valve down and blow them up like balloons. Tie the blown-up inner to a stick 4ft off the ground and it moves about and flashes in the sun. Cheaper than a banger rope, and you get to drink the wine.

A handy pigeon shooting tip for alcoholics. Hic.

that's the problem, i was set up where they where feeding the previous two days. the question i'm asking is would putting banger ropes in the other areas that they have been using be beneficial to moving the birds onto the field im set up on or not. i could go tomorrow and they might be down at the far end again, or back on the first mentioned field. The gear i had set up was, a dozen shells a dozen fuds, and three floaters all set out before daybreak. i have a shooting partner on a weekend but only myself during the week if i get the oppurtunity to go.

regards

ANDY

I was gonna suggest covering both ends of the field you in one hide and a shooting partner in another but as stated above you only have him of a weekend but I would say try it this Saturday or Sunday and see if you can push the birds between the two shooters. I have a had past experience of this and it did seem to work quite well.

ATB

Matty

The inside of wineboxes are silvered plastic with a valve built in, you can push the valve down and blow them up like balloons. Tie the blown-up inner to a stick 4ft off the ground and it moves about and flashes in the sun. Cheaper than a banger rope, and you get to drink the wine.

A handy pigeon shooting tip for alcoholics. Hic.

Thats a spot on tip, I shall use that as well :good:

Shooting over rape this side of xmas is about as frustrating as it gets in this sport IMHO :yes:

You have done almost as much as you can do. If you have ever opened the crop on a pigeon that has fed on rape, you will see they fill themselves to bursting at the first feed ( first light) then sit around for the rest of the day, sulking in the trees with indigestion :lol: Apart from the odd one or two, they will stay that way untill very late afternoon when they will have a last feed before roost. So the best times are first light and just before sundown. Theres very little in between until about feb/march when the flocks start to break up. You won't get much more than an hour or so of excitement, so its up to you to try and condense the feeding into an area they want to be. Supermarket plastic bags on a bit string tied to a bamboo cane or hazel stick pushed into the ground where you dont want them to be is a real help.

Personally,I find decoying is almost impossible until the new year and find that flighting them/ or sniping with an air rifle is more productive...and less to carry about :yes:

Just my findings :yes: :yes: