rape shooting today

Matt Gould

hello guys im fairly new to decoying, been out on the rape today after seeing 150 + eating it all week. i knew esacly where to put my hide because i have been studying where i have been eating, problem is i got one or two but then they left, not to return i put a couple of flags out as well where i thought they where going to go down again but didnt realy help. can any body help me shoot more ??? do i need to leave em to feed for a couple of weeks to get more confiden, put less decoys out? put different decoys out .......... ?????? i have been using 20appox decoys + 2 floater+ 1 flapper, any suggestions Hmmmmmm

It might be nothing you have done.The pigeons may not have read the same book as you.This time of year my own experience is that when the pigeons are in flocks you have a shot and they go elsewhere.They might come back later but it is frustrating.If they are avoiding your pattern then change it.But pigeons does not want to play sometimes and nothing you do seems to bring them to you.Try and get out with someone who has been doing it a while you might pick up some tips.

Agree with first poster, you probably did nothing wrong. That's how it is on rape sometimes.

Tips I can give are to walk the birds off the field, don't take any shots when you arrive, this way you hope that they might come back a few at a time. Some people say if a big flock comes in not to shoot it because you frighten them all away, so choose your shots to smaller numbers. And lastly, if you have a lot of rape fields, get more guns out so that hopefully you can bounce the birds between you.

Rape shooting can be both fun and equally frustrating. You often see large numbers, in thousands sometimes, but that doesn't guarantee big bags.

Cos

Agree with first poster, you probably did nothing wrong. That's how it is on rape sometimes.

Tips I can give are to walk the birds off the field, don't take any shots when you arrive, this way you hope that they might come back a few at a time. Some people say if a big flock comes in not to shoot it because you frighten them all away, so choose your shots to smaller numbers. And lastly, if you have a lot of rape fields, get more guns out so that hopefully you can bounce the birds between you.

Rape shooting can be both fun and equally frustrating. You often see large numbers, in thousands sometimes, but that doesn't guarantee big bags.

Cos

so i take it the bigger bags are achived after harvest when the birds are not flocked ???? surley in the summer the pigeons have evern more food to choose from although rape is normaly one of the first crops to be harvested, so should only have that to choose from for a while :). i never thoguht rape shooting was gonna be this hard :oops:

I'm sure someone will come on and say what massive bags they have had on rape, which is possible. But like I said, rape shooting can be frustrating because they are flocked up and every shot scares loads away at a time. In my experience bigger bags are archived easier when the birds are coming in ones and twos.

As I said before, rape shooting is often better when a number of guns can cover many fields and you keep the birds bouncing around.

This time of year the pigeons tend to stick together and feed in flocks.The majority of them are in flocks but you do get some that are not.This time of year is when you show your dedication and turn out when you know the shooting might be poor.But your still doing what the farmer gave you permission for and if you dont someone else will. :good:

As has been said, you were probably doing nothing wrong, if there are no pigeons about even the best hide and decoy layout won't change anything.

On Winter rape I travel "light" when decoying and often move 2 or 3 times a day.

When the birds are in larger flocks I believe you don't need so many ground decoys to start off, but it is advisable to have some movement, I prefer a rotary and floater/bouncers, but I assume a flapper would help.

There will be days when the birds want to feed on a particular field (often influenced by wind direction and the need for shelter) and they will just keep coming, thats when the big bags are shot.

had exectly the same here mate today,200+ feeding as we set up, just didnt come back, 26 shot all day and those shot was outside of the pattern,no intrest in comming into decoys, moved patteren 6 bloody times and didnt make any difference :no: Around this part of world every other field is rape and makes decoying very fustrating, personly i think pigeons come better to peas and beans, rape just tests your patience :sly:

had exectly the same here mate today,200+ feeding as we set up, just didnt come back, 26 shot all day and those shot was outside of the pattern,no intrest in comming into decoys, moved patteren 6 bloody times and didnt make any difference :no: Around this part of world every other field is rape and makes decoying very fustrating, personly i think pigeons come better to peas and beans, rape just tests your patience :sly:

not a bad bag though on rape not seen 26 on rape yet let alone shoot 26

thanks :good: but when theres alot there when you set up and they **** off or dont comeback , or mess about and dont decoy it really does test my paitance :no: , still seeing more and shooting more on wheat stubble AND they behave and decoy, , my self and a mate shot 88 between us on thusday, just wish the rape was a good :good: :good:

thanks :good: but when theres alot there when you set up and they **** off or dont comeback , or mess about and dont decoy it really does test my paitance :no: , still seeing more and shooting more on wheat stubble AND they behave and decoy, , my self and a mate shot 88 between us on thusday, just wish the rape was a good :good: :good:

it tests everyones paitience when they don,t play ball but thats pigeon shooting for yer got to take the rough with the smooth can,t always be good, even though i still think 26 on winter rape is a decent bag and personally would be happy with that for a days shooting but each to there own :good:

I don't think pigeons come any better to peas or beans. The only difference being that pigeons are flocked up less at the times of year that you would normally shoot over them.

I have had some really frustratng days on both peas and beans.

Also, i would like to see closer to 1000 feeding on winter rape before i would think i might shoot a good bag. 26 from seeing a lot of 200 is a decent return, really.

Edited by motty

I don't think pigeons come any better to peas or beans. The only difference being that pigeons are flocked up less at the times of year that you would normally shoot over them.

Also, i would like to see closer to 1000 feeding on winter rape before i would think i might shoot a good bag. 26 from seeing a lot of 200 is a decent return, really.

What type of decoy pattern and decoys whoud you put out mate, flappers if so how many, magnet, bouncers,shells,fuds,peckers........ cheers for your help

Matt

What type of decoy pattern and decoys whoud you put out mate, flappers if so how many, magnet, bouncers,shells,fuds,peckers........ cheers for your help

Matt

I don't do anything special. I use standard flocked shells, pro decoys or fuds + dead birds in very rough u or v shapes quite often. I occasionally use 2 or more magnets and also had great success with the turbo flapper this year - especially on stubbles.

Twenty odd decoys is usually plenty to start with, but adding dead birds i can have 100+.

I don't really use bouncers, in my opinion magnets and flappers are far better at attracting pigeons.

Really, the relative success that i have is more down to being in the right place at the right time and pointing the barrels in the right direction, than what gear i use.

Having a fair bit of land to choose from also helps.

:stupid:

you are joking rite????:hmm: 26 is less a 1 quauter of what was feeding, you say you like to see 1000 feeding to get a good bag?? what would you call a good bag then from a 1000 pigeons????

you are joking rite????:hmm: 26 is less a 1 quauter of what was feeding, you say you like to see 1000 feeding to get a good bag?? what would you call a good bag then from a 1000 pigeons????

He didn't mean he shot at 200 and hit 26!

This time of year birds are flocked up, you see 200 feeding and walk them off. If they return in groups of 10 for example that's only 20 double shots, and that would be a good day, so 26 down is a decent bag for rape and time of year.

Use he same theory and 1000 birds feeding and you begin to understand what Motty is trying to say.

He didn't mean he shot at 200 and hit 26!

This time of year birds are flocked up, you see 200 feeding and walk them off. If they return in groups of 10 for example that's only 20 double shots, and that would be a good day, so 26 down is a decent bag for rape and time of year.

Use he same theory and 1000 birds feeding and you begin to understand what Motty is trying to say.

i may live in the sticks, i may drive a drive a tractor,and believe it or not i do understand what he ment i ENT A DIV :good: